Author Topic: Wonderful Photographs from Mars  (Read 85375 times)

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: Wonderful Photographs from Mars
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
Nice, not too expensive I hope, somewhere economical?

Since he apparently chose to go on another one shortly after posting that, apparently not.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
I really wonder why people like this post. Did he, perhaps, expect everyone here to follow his first post with "OMG! You're RIGHT!"? Did he not expect, even want, the cut and thrust of a debate?

I imagine people like this sitting at their computers going, "... what? They offered counter-arguments? How dare they! Well, I'm not going to play that game! Either they believe what I say, or I leave the thread."

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
Sorry, at this point I think jockndoris is pretty much a casual troll.  Remember his reference to his Who Shot Armstrong? thread on the old board?   He seagulled a single post and never returned to the board.  He's pretty much doing the same thing here - nothing.   

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
This is too funny.  What exactly is full speed in space?

Warp Factor 9?

Is there  a half speed?

Warp Factor 8?

What would idle speed be?

Full impulse?

Well at least then, the "Wonderful Photographs from Mars" could be printed on a nice little Epson ink-jet printer (available from Walmart for $59.95, so insignificant budgetary impact) and shipped back to earth on a probe at light speed in time to hit the morning papers  ::)
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
and .. here's a picture:

Mars panorama - Day 2

(I think I've already posted that link, but it's worth repeating.  hint - turn the room lighting down, go fullscreen, hide controls .. and feel what it would be like to be there...  don't forget to look down at yourself..)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »
Very goo
I think the OP would prefer this version: http://www.360cities.net/image/martians-on-mars-panorama#262.53,5.24,23.7

Very funny.  Though, I've always imagined a Martian city to be more like Mos Eisley.  With the surrounding countryside  populated by moisture farmers and the occasional old hermit.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
The best take I've ever seen on the theme of Martian natives vs robots from Earth:

Yes, it's Youtube but it's actually worthwhile. And it's pretty short.

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
Attention  sts60
The reason I have not responded is that I have been away from my desk for nearly three weeks of the six since I first put up my post.
Also I am not as skilled as you chaps at picking up the quotes to respond directly to them but I am here to respond to any oustanding points.
The fact that there have been 2772 views and 128 replies shows that I have caused a fair amount of interest and nobody has shot me down in flames.   I think NASA are doing the same thing again that they did it the 1960's and give out far too much detail because thats what they think the American  public expect for the money spent (some estimates show $7 for every preson in America).
I want them to succeed and show us something useful that we have not seen before. Surely the Curiosity is going to find something new.
Why I am still shouting about the original hoax is because all the scientists in other countries have assumed that they did it and have not looked for other ways of getting to the Moon or Mars.   Completely different ideas are needed like anti-gravity or using springs to get us into orbit. 
We have lost 50 years of innovation.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
So that's a 'no' to the question about having evidence then?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
The number of views and replies couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that there aren't many other people spouting conspiracy nonsense, so we're kind of bored, could it?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
It's OK jockndoris. Didn't think you could prove it, no need to try to dodge it.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
The number of views and replies couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that there aren't many other people spouting conspiracy nonsense, so we're kind of bored, could it?

Is it not the hallmark of your garden variety troll to dwell on the view and reply counts? After all, their goal is attention seeking.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
Jockndoris wrote: Attention  sts60
The reason I have not responded is that I have been away from my desk for nearly three weeks of the six since I first put up my post.

The time between answers is not the problem.  The problem is that you put no thought into your answers, nor do you attempt to learn anything between answers.

Also I am not as skilled as you chaps at picking up the quotes to respond directly to them but I am here to respond to any oustanding points.

No, your history here does not support that assertion.

You never answered the bulk of my questions and rebuttals to your opening post, in which post I noted that you couldn't even figure out the source of your quote - not a promising start, and you went downhill from there. 

You eventually waved your hands vaguely about "lot 171" - a place you have never bothered to identify - and made some garbled, self-contradictory claim that the places you thought looked too much like another place didn't actually look like another place, but have ignored subsequent rebuttals, including an explanation as to your completely incorrect handwaving about "roundabout" trajectories, as well as a dissection of your profoundly silly claims about "three crafts to Mars" and "Mission Control simulators".  You have responded to none of these in any substantive manner.

You abandoned the "Who shot Armstrong?" thread you started on the old board, yet brought it up again here despite the fact that the very simple explanation had been provided to you years ago!

The fact that there have been 2772 views and 128 replies shows that I have caused a fair amount of interest

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.  There are no other conspiracists active on this board, and the bulk of the replies corrected your many wrong claims, but you have largely ignored them only to reappear as if nothing had happened.

and nobody has shot me down in flames.

Fantasy. 

You have repeatedly demonstrated that you don't understand the engineering or scientific principles involved, have made many errors of fact, and your opinions are simply bald and manifestly uninformed assertions.  I alone have corrected something like a dozen major errors you have made. 

I think NASA are doing the same thing again that they did it the 1960's and give out far too much detail because thats what they think the American public expect for the money spent (some estimates show $7 for every preson in America).

Wrong.  Again.  NASA puts out so much detail because it is the organization's mission to disseminate scientific information.

I want them to succeed and show us something useful that we have not seen before. Surely the Curiosity is going to find something new.

You've previously made claims about "nothing new" which were promptly shown to be wrong.  You have yet to admit your errors.

Why I am still shouting about the original hoax is because all the scientists in other countries have assumed that they did it and have not looked for other ways of getting to the Moon or Mars.

No, this is completely untrue.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

Completely different ideas are needed like anti-gravity or using springs...

Troll.   And not a very entertaining one either.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
Anti-gravity or springs??? Bwahahaha!

Is that how you get to "full speed" in space? Bwahaha!