Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope  (Read 30181 times)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
What is the Scottish-built instrument?

It's the "Mid InfraRed Instrument" or MIRI, which has been built and tested at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre at the University of Edinburgh :

https://www.technologysi.stfc.ac.uk/Pages/MIRI.aspx

I got a look at it during development a few years back during a tour of the facility as part of a conference at the Royal Observatory Edinburgh.  It promises to deliver some very high quality results.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »
At this point I am afraid that materials are ageing that were never meant to be in earth atmosphere for so long.

What about the plating on the mirrors? the filters, the optical system, the sensors.

If this fails to properly deploy we won't have anything of this scale for the next 50 years.

Do you think that having several smaller space telescopes in sync will be the future for large aperture space telescopes, instead of building a single massive one?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:00:55 PM by apollo16uvc »
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2021, 11:56:59 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking earlier we might have a Galileo high gain antenna situation on our hands, only it's the whole bloody mirror and/or the sun shield. Damn, I really hope not;  not only would that would be absolute mud in NASA's eye, I really want this beauty to work. Being able to fold up mirrors is going to be a boon for future space telescopes.