Author Topic: moon rock given to Holland by Neil Armstrong is Fake  (Read 28676 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: moon rock given to Holland by Neil Armstrong is Fake
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
Old news. The rock was not handed over by the astronauts but by the US Ambassador as a private gift to the then Prime Minister, who later donated it to the museum. There was never any official claim that this rock was from the Moon, therefore, from a hoax point of view, it is a non-story. The closest connection to Apollo 11 is that the original gift was made during the Apollo 11 tour.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
Yea, pretty much fiction.
It wasn't a rock, was not given to Holland and was not given by the Apollo 11 crew.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
The moon rock was never given to the former Dutch PM. It has been proven beyond doubt that the rock was incorrectly identified as moonrock by his sons. The so called rock was found in a drawer, after his death, also in the draw was a dedication card,"presented by the Apollo 11 astronauts during their word tour...etc" The card was given to dignitaries attending the world tour event and related to signed photo's and other gifts. Drees heirs, incorrectly linked the card to the rock.
The Netherlands, along with other countries did receive a dedication plaque with some lunar regolith set in plastic. calls to NASA asking whether they had received any moon rock was therefore given an affirmative as they did indeed receive some samples. But NO country or individual was given a large lump of Moonrock, especially a former PM who was last in office in 1958, 11 years before Apollo.   

Additionally this is a really old story, so I don't understand why the Telegraph is highlighting it today? The rocks authenticity was actually called into question by a visiting NASA employee. For a detailed description of what I have written here please see Phil Webbs excellent videos on the subject, "The Moonrock of the Netherlands!" :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:30:02 AM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »

Additionally this is a really old story, so I don't understand why the Telegraph is highlighting it today?

The Telegraph article was from 29 August 2009.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gtvc

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
Thank you but the news was posted today in History channel latinoamerica and I wanted to know the true  ;) :D

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »
Thank you but the news was posted today in History channel latinoamerica and I wanted to know the true  ;) :D

Ah right. I've seen a similar thing happen on the BBC site. They have a "Most Read Article" section. Every now and then a seemingly random article will surface, usually one with little or relevance to whats in the news on the day in question. Glitch in the Matrix?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »

It was good of you to check it out.  A lot of people would just read it and believe it without question.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
Actually, I rather like this one from the other point of view. Like a lot of the technical aspects of Apollo, when you bring up the geological samples to the credulous laymen they often respond with the idea that geologists wouldn't know the difference; that someone had to tell them the rocks came from the Moon, they hadn't seen that exact rock before so they shrug and agree.

In this case, as I have heard the story, a geologist was strolling through the museum on his day off, noticed the exhibit...and it took him literally seconds to realize something was off. By under a minute, he knew he was looking at something that could not possibly be from the Moon.

This is roughly what would happen if any of the hoaxies ludicrous ideas of trick photography or faked radio transmissions or made-up performance of rocket engines were to attempt to pass the real, working professionals out in the world.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
Don't HBs think that special effects artists would be able to spot trickery in Apollo film and video?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
Don't HBs think...?

That's as far as that needed to go ;)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/6105902/Moon-rock-given-to-Holland-by-Neil-Armstrong-and-Buzz-Aldrin-is-fake.html What do you think?

The samples handed out were cased in acrylic.

http://www.collectspace.com/resources/moonrocks_apollo11.html

The Dutch 'rock' is a piece of petrified wood, and it is believed that it got mixed up with an invite card to a party event on the "Apollo-11 Astronauts Goodwill Round-the-World Flight Tour."

PhilWebb50 has covered the subject in two videos:

You can see that the official samples in the first link I posted do not match with the Dutch sample in their presentation.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:34:52 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
Don't HBs think that special effects artists would be able to spot trickery in Apollo film and video?

It's so odd wrapping your head around it. According to them, it is obvious certain kinds of special effects were used...such as flying by wire. According to people with actual experience (I don't have much, but I've been technician on four different shows and worked with both Foy and SFX in setting up the flight hardware) nothing is alike. The "tells" the hoaxies point to aren't applicable to standard industry methods, and the "tells" an industry insider would use don't show up anywhere.

And -- showing their lineal descent from the fabled Monk Plus -- will immediately reply that completely non-standard, ad-hoc methods were used, which the hoaxie finds immediately recognizable...due to their experience with how the standard methods work and look.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 02:54:24 PM »
All special effects people spot the obvious signs of fakery, but they don't reveal it because it would jeopardise their careers and/or they would be murdered. Presumably by people on this board.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
All special effects people spot the obvious signs of fakery, but they don't reveal it because it would jeopardise their careers and/or they would be murdered. Presumably by people on this board.

NASA doesn't pay me enough for that. Not at $2 a post. In any case, I'm quite happy shilling with the odd post here and there. The money buys the drinks at Christmas. I don't think I'd go as far a murder.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch