Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg  (Read 45 times)

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
Just read that Justice Ginsburg has died.  Such a loss to the court, and to the country.

And I am quite concerned about what's now going to happen given who is in charge of the process of finding her replacement.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:48:38 AM »
Indeed, I always loved reading her opinions.  She cut straight to the heart and never minced the argument.

And yes, I'm certain we're going to get another Kavanaugh, and the court will be decidedly conservative (and markedly less intelligent) for the next few decades.  I imagine Roe v. Wade will be overturned.  Maybe even Obergefell v. Hodges.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:53:01 AM »
I'm hoping like hell the Democrats manage to drag out the process, because I'm quite certain the Republicans won't accept that it's awfully close to an election and they should wait, despite it literally being their argument more than four years ago.  The thing is, ordinarily, I'd agree with them; yes, all right, it's part of the President's job.  But after they pulled that with Merrick Garland--and make no mistake, it's pretty well the same list of people in power who shaped that--they need to live with the consequences of their actions.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:59:56 AM »
Sen. Mitt Romney has already said he will not vote to confirm any candidate until after the election.  We need a surprisingly few more Senators to pledge likewise.  The Republicans hold only a slim majority in the Senate.  But Gillian is absolutely right:  be prepared for a tsunami of hypocrisy from the Senate Republicans about the propriety of choosing a new Supreme Court justice in an election year.

It's going to be a long-awaited rainy day here in Utah, so I can't work outside as I usually do on Saturdays.  I've made a pot of coffee and I'm going to put on Handel's organ concertos and read a few of Ginsburg J's best opinions.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:08:06 PM »
I wanted to say also that I came very close to meeting her.  When her biopic RBG premiered, she came to Park City and did a number of public appearances.  I was in a reception line that she filed past, but her Secret Service detail was not allowing anyone to approach.  And yes, she was as tiny as has been reported, but the proximity of very large protective officers probably amplified that.  I can't say frail, because she simply wasn't.  I pray to have that much energy when I'm 87.