Author Topic: Bart Sibrel's "Talk"  (Read 10413 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Bart Sibrel's "Talk"
« on: November 15, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »
...he [Sibrel] claimed that a voice saying 'Talk' just before Armstrong began speaking to Houston was actually an off-camera CIA handler or some such nonsense. You'd think, if that was the case, that the astronauts would have been wearing earpieces so that such extraneous chatter wouldn't have been picked up, or that it would have been done with hand signals or something. But then, logic and rationality aren't Sibrel's strongest points.

We had a discussion of Sibrel's "talk" claim on the previous ApolloHoax board in February 2006:-
http://apollohoax.proboards.com/thread/750/talk

JayUtah explained the sound in his first post:-

What Sibrel interprets as the word "talk" (and doesn't let anyone tell him differently) is a garble caused by leakage through the intercom diodes. It was a well known problem with the Apollo comm system and it happens only about a thousand times in every mission, including just before the well-known "Houston, we have a problem" transmission.

The garble which Sibrel claims is "talk" is at the beginning of Apollo 11's unscheduled television transmission at GET 10:32:00, or on the Spacecraft Films Apollo 11 DVD set, Disc 1 / "Fly Me to the Moon" / "Television transmissions 10:32 GET, 33:59 GET" / Chapter 1.

To me it sounds more like "tuft" and not at all like "talk" in either American, British or New Zealand accents.

By applying a similar flight of fancy to Sibrel's, it's possible to dream up words for all the other garbles during the 15-minute transmission as follows. Times are for the first edition of the Spacecraft Films DVDs:--

0:10 Iddup.
0:22 Tuft.
0:35 Text tum deaf.
0:41 Rob we der.
1:02 Dah der, dip rider.
1:11 Dig sig.
1:49 Darp dip.
2:18 Cart in.
3:15 Giddy get one punch-up.
3:18 We deb so deg 'n' darbdee debder.
4:03 Up oop.
4:13 Sharp shoon.
4:14 [Sound of vacuum cleaner.]
4:20 [Sound of whistling wind.]
5:20 Deke crass.
5:41 Vip vop 'n' vamp.
5:48 Janet.
7:03 Whose dinner? Epdee ope wer dapdee dane.
7:08 Ribbit.
7:47 Ti-futt.
9:46 D'bing babe.
9:49 'Sup?
10:15 Sarb seff, zah-zef soap.
11:01 Zap. Zip zop zoom.
11:23 Car.
12:12 Dup. Poop.
12:54 Yow. Book 'er.
13:02 Dow dark.
13:18 Sig sub.
13:21 Oopie blorp.
14:11 Doop derp.
14:14 Wip werp.
14:27 Sip surp.
15:20 Dup.
15:22 Diddup.

Don't take the list seriously, as some people have done. The technique is similar to putting words to birds' songs - probably an aural form of self-induced pareidolia.  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:00:37 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Bart Sibrel's "Talk"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
I have watched that segment and can only think that Bart uses any/every bit of trickery to make a point.  To the novice the word does sound similar to "talk" but it could be something else also.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
Reminds me of the Judas Priest lawsuit where a track of theirs allegedly contained a hidden reversed 'do it' message that two deranged and drug addled teenagers naturally took to mean that they should kill themselves.

The band's defence read out other messages from the reversed track that sounded like actual words but obviously were nothing but gibberish that the brain made sense of once it was directed down a specific path.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:06:05 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the video, I can't seem to find the specific one.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
Giddy get one punch-up.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 03:30:32 AM »
Audio pareidolia. I happened upon a classic exemplar.

http://purplealiengirl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fromsonyheadphonevideo-thisismeanttopost------------earthisdoomed.wav

Only 16 seconds of audio.

I will later post what people claim is heard and the origin of the clip, but what can anyone make out in this clip? Without forewarning of what you are supposed to hear?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »

http://purplealiengirl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fromsonyheadphonevideo-thisismeanttopost------------earthisdoomed.wav

I will later post what people claim is heard and the origin of the clip, but what can anyone make out in this clip? Without forewarning of what you are supposed to hear?

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy."
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »
Audio pareidolia

Anyone who has lived in Sydney will know that in the morning, crows perch on lamp-posts and say "Idon'twannagotowork"

If you've lived in North Queensland, you will no doubt recognise the call of the Orange Footed Scrub Fowl.... "unlock the doooor"
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »
Audio pareidolia

Anyone who has lived in Sydney will know that in the morning, crows perch on lamp-posts and say "Idon'twannagotowork"

If you've lived in North Queensland, you will no doubt recognise the call of the Orange Footed Scrub Fowl.... "unlock the doooor"
Only in the morning? ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »

Googling "apollo 11 television transmission 10:32" gave an instant result. It was the second item in the list of hits, and its YouTube title is "NASA - Apollo 11 Unscheduled Transmission 10:32 GET (Earth from space)". The video quality is naturally pretty crappy compared with what's on the Spacecraft Films DVDs, but it's better than nothing.

The Apollo 11 Flight Journal has the full audio but not the video -
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/04nav-housekeep.htm

The link to the 10,817 kB MP3 audio file occurs just after GET 010:27:29 -
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/audio/0103059.mp3

If I ever buy a T-shirt with a personalised slogan, I think it will have to be Oopie blorp, to remind me of the special insanity of hoax-promoters.  :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:17:32 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »

Googling "apollo 11 television transmission 10:32" gave an instant result. It was the second item in the list of hits, and its YouTube title is "NASA - Apollo 11 Unscheduled Transmission 10:32 GET (Earth from space)". The video quality is naturally pretty crappy compared with what's on the Spacecraft Films DVDs, but it's better than nothing.

The Apollo 11 Flight Journal has the full audio but not the video -
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/04nav-housekeep.htm

The link to the 10,817 kB MP3 audio file occurs just after GET 010:27:29 -
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/audio/0103059.mp3
Thanks, without the emcee mentioning the word "talk" the comment sounds less like "talk", but still could talk.  The third file has a lot of garbled transmissions, which may be what Jay referred to by the diode leakages. 
Eugene Cernan

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
Kiwi, not only have you landed a solid punch on BS's BS but have also created the lyrics for a new rap song. Congratulations.  Personally, I am quite fond of the "Vip vop 'n' vamp" line.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy."
Dont click it, copy and paste the URL in a new window/tab.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
For interest, Frank the crank thinks that this is what is in there...

"At 3 seconds "this is meant to post..", at 5 sec "Chris is responsilbe for Edison", Chris Moon claims Edison invented the boxes. at 13 seconds a pre-echo "earth doomed",. and finally at 14 seconds "Earth is doomed"."

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »
Has anyone done any audio enhancement on the 'silent' parts of the audio files?

If you listen very carefully you can make out sounds in the background (including dialogue) that have been picked up.