Author Topic: Anyone fancy £10k?  (Read 5759 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Anyone fancy £10k?
« on: August 02, 2022, 03:41:42 AM »
This poster:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090895674258943/permalink/6150406584974468/

Thinks he's found the nail in NASA's coffin, claiming that the pictures of Earth taken by Apollo 11 from the surface should show Africa, not Australia.

He's so convinced he's offering £10000 to anyone who can prove him wrong.

Unfortunately when he set up his starry night software he set the EVA time as pm UTC not am UTC  ;D

Of course you'll never see the money, and I have better things to do than deal with spam from morons in my Facebook page.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
Re: Anyone fancy £10k?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 04:47:29 AM »
The poster's either gone private or deleted it.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 05:00:27 AM »
Odd - still visible for me!

I did, of course, screenshot it :D

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
Ah, gone for me now. How odd, almost as if someone pointed out the error and they were too embarrassed to admit it.

I had planned on using that group as the primary source for a 'Dumb crap hoax believers say' webpage, but there's just too much.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 09:55:11 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 01:08:41 PM »
For the avoidance of doubt:

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 03:42:47 PM »
This is interesting - with the laws changing about what you can do or say on the Internet, I think if someone challenged that person, they'd find themselves being owed 10,000 pounds.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
He's back!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090895674258943/permalink/6155217487826711/

This time he's getting all confused between GMT and Australian time zones. No money on offer ths time.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 01:19:24 PM »
It's tempting to dive in and explain where the error is, but I suspect I'd be removed and banned as soon as I did. It looks like another cosy little echo chamber.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 02:11:35 AM »
It very much is, but if you follow through to his main profile he has duplicated the post on there. He invites people to prove him wrong so he can destroy their evidence.

I'm not sure now that he is confusing timezones - he repeatedly claims that the image from lunar orbit was taken 7 hours before the surface ones and even posts links to the ALSJ as proof, but despite requests from other posters (even moon landing sceptics) to show where it is claimed they are 7 hours apart he doesn't do it.

What he does do is post screenshot of the time stamps of the images as his proof. Apart from him posting the time of the wrong image, he can't get it in his head that that the orbital and surface images are 24 hours apart - subtracting 86 from 110 is just too much.

Ironically, one of his screen shots of the ALSJ mentions a certain detailed study of the cloud patterns on Earth photos that he could have checked out.

Dunning Kruger club's finest.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 06:25:33 AM »
Nope, take it back, he is confused by time zones, and by the fact that the image wasn't taken immediately after landing, and by the fact that there was a separate camera in orbit (and he gets the date his chosen image was taken wrong - it was done 24 hours earlier!). The two screenshot below show him changing times as he realises his confusion, then still gets confused

It comes to something when the blunder is having to explain it to him, and if he tries to explain will effectively have to defend the NASA narrative :D

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 02:33:35 AM »
It's worth pulling up a chair with some popcorn. The blunder is responding but the OP is sticking to his guns (and now claiming the orbital image is a composite anyway so nyer nyer nyer). His blunderness is feeling the frustration of dealing with idiot cherry picking statements, wilfully misunderstanding evidence and refusing to listen to logic. The irony is delicious.

Lots of comments keep disappearing, but it's not clear whether this is the OP backtracking or the site admins trying to keep a lid on the festering stupidity of it all.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 08:12:21 AM »
He really is the gift that keeps on giving, and he's determined to get rid of £10k:

Edited to add: that post disappeared quickly, wonder why... ;D

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:48:42 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 05:11:27 AM »
He really is the gift that keeps on giving, and he's determined to get rid of £10k:

Edited to add: that post disappeared quickly, wonder why... ;D

Wow! I didn't realise that the "10pm" entry above the Eastern Australian time zone on maps when GMT is "12 noon" was such a simple pathway to that much money!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 12:44:47 PM »
Anymore these days when some conspiracy theorist offers an attractive sum of money to be proven wrong, I rewrite that in my head to say, "I'm stupid and broke."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 06:11:09 AM »
He doesn't just have problems understanding time zones, he also has difficulty with 12 hour vs 24 hour representations. One minute he's using AM/PM and the next 24 hour format, not to mention the lovely "0:600pm" which shows he didn't properly proof-read his nonsense before posting.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb