Author Topic: Banned members  (Read 113080 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Banned members
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »
I really don't understand the point of trolling.
It is hard to understand.  My observation is that it is an attempt to bring down people that know something.  After that fails trolling turns into a perverse form of performance art designed to "force" us to  jump through hoops. It certainly is an obsession for some trolls that make one wonder about how they deal with the rest of the world.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
I really don't understand the point of trolling. Why would anyone intentionally make themselves look stupid just to provoke people into answering questions? Is it supposed to be embarrassing for us some how? I really only see it as embarrassing to the troll.

Well, I think on many boards, particularly those with a paranormal or conspiracy bent, trolling can induce other members to melt down in spectacular explosions of ranting and namecalling that, to some people, must be entertaining.

The problem is on this board, you don't get people screaming "YOU SPAWN OF SATIN!!1!!!," you get people saying, "No, you're wrong, and here's why." So, the only entertainment would be, presumably, saying something ridiculous, and being told why it's ridiculous. Over and over again. Which is why our trolls usually flounce away, finding little to chew on.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Banned members
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
I really don't understand the point of trolling. Why would anyone intentionally make themselves look stupid just to provoke people into answering questions? Is it supposed to be embarrassing for us some how? I really only see it as embarrassing to the troll.

Well, I think on many boards, particularly those with a paranormal or conspiracy bent, trolling can induce other members to melt down in spectacular explosions of ranting and namecalling that, to some people, must be entertaining.

The problem is on this board, you don't get people screaming "YOU SPAWN OF SATIN!!1!!!," you get people saying, "No, you're wrong, and here's why." So, the only entertainment would be, presumably, saying something ridiculous, and being told why it's ridiculous. Over and over again. Which is why our trolls usually flounce away, finding little to chew on.

Alex isn't the spawn on satin. He may have been the spawn of hemp though.

Offline Stout Cortez

• Mercury
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2013, 01:45:23 PM »
Takes me back to an English class in which we read and had to write about Milton's Paradise Lost. Our professor sternly warned us he would fail "any paper about Satin and the Fallen Angles." Though, he mused, that might make a good band name.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
Actually, I had a classmate in college whose name was Satin.  I don't think her parents realized they'd given her a stripper name.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
Actually, I had a classmate in college whose name was Satin.  I don't think her parents realized they'd given her a stripper name.
So her children really would be the Spawn of Satin.  Could be worse. 

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
alexsanchez has been permanently banned for trolling. He even admits to it here:

Calling me a troll hurts my feelings.

Feelings?...no, you get some sick pleasure by "jerking our chains".

I don't think You even believe the things you say...you just "get off" on watching us react.

How sick is that?
This is the first comment that is right on the money. 

Guess who has discovered the David Icke forum?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
Guess who has discovered the David Icke forum?
Everyone's favorite doctor with an unlimited supply of sockpuppets?  Well from what I have seen of that forum he should feel at home there and maybe it will stop his periodic attemts to get onto CQ and other places.
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
Heiwa / Believer has been banned for sock puppetry, trolling, insulting people (ie. comparing them to Nazis), and refusing to provide evidence for his claims.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:41 AM »
It was fun while it lasted.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
I really don't understand the point of trolling.

I don't either, but every person I've ever met exhibits some kind of behaviour whose point I don't quite understand.  I should probably include myself within that category.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
anywho has been permanently banned for posting graphic images of people who suffered serious injuries in the Boston marathon bombing.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2013, 12:36:34 AM »
Boy, am I glad I missed that.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
Margamatix?
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
anywho has been permanently banned for posting graphic images of people who suffered serious injuries in the Boston marathon bombing.
How stylish...

Glad I'm not a mod.