Author Topic: Saturn V rotation  (Read 3759 times)

Offline benparry

• Mars
Saturn V rotation
« on: October 19, 2022, 07:05:29 AM »
Morning All. I am in a debate with a hoaxy regarding Sibrels claims in AFTHOTWTTM (An old one i know sorry)

She seems to think it wouldn't have been possible to film out of the window as its on the side of the CM. That isn't my question here.

I am under the impression that the Saturn V rotated on its vertical axis on the way to moon to help with heat control. However i cannot find any info online about this. Are there any sources explaining this

cheers

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Saturn V rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 07:50:00 AM »
Yes, the barbecue roll. Around 0.3 degrees per second during coasting phases for Apollo 11. Also known formally as Passive Thermal Control.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/06day2-tv.html

And it wasn't the Saturn V, just the Apollo Command/Service module and the LM. The booster had long been discarded at this stage.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »
Brill cheers Al. Hows the group i got kicked of going lol

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 08:22:43 AM »
Dead as a post.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 08:30:52 AM »
Yeah i guessed it would be

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 06:33:06 AM »
I'm following 'debates' in that particular group, including the one in which you are ably participating. Damn there are some dumb people out there.

Feel free to point her at:

http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/CATM2/A11/02/a11_day02.html

Or

if reading long words might be too much for her.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 12:09:31 AM »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 03:53:50 AM »
Morning All. I am in a debate with a hoaxy regarding Sibrels claims in AFTHOTWTTM (An old one i know sorry)

She seems to think it wouldn't have been possible to film out of the window as its on the side of the CM. That isn't my question here.

I am under the impression that the Saturn V rotated on its vertical axis on the way to moon to help with heat control. However i cannot find any info online about this. Are there any sources explaining this

cheers

As Allen F pointed out, it wasn't the whole Saturn V that did the barbecue roll, just the CSM+LM. However, it is worth noting that a few seconds after launch, the whole Saturn V stack did in fact rotate.

Now I could "launch" (badum-tsh) into a long explanation as to the reasons for this, but luckily I don't have to because Amy Shira Teitel has done a really good job of it here....

https://www.popsci.com/why-does-rocket-need-to-roll-going-into-orbit/
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 02:37:13 AM »
She is quite excellent. Not only Apollo but aviation and science in general. I always enjoy her uploads.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
I'm following 'debates' in that particular group, including the one in which you are ably participating. Damn there are some dumb people out there.

Or

Thanks OBM apologies i didnt reply sooner been on a few debates. I mentioned in a thread a few years ago that i thought the hoax people had a mental issue as they seemed to choose believing non experts over experts and i think over the last few months i have been proven right

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 06:46:52 PM »

Or

Thanks OBM apologies i didnt reply sooner been on a few debates. I mentioned in a thread a few years ago that i thought the hoax people had a mental issue as they seemed to choose believing non experts over experts and i think over the last few months i have been proven right

It's certainly an issue, but whether it's a mental issue I'm not so sure.

The thing I'm learning more and more is just how much expertise there is to learn in our society, even in seemingly straightforward jobs.

The question for me is how these hoax people view that sort of "everyday" expertise. Do they see it as equivalent to the highly technical expertise of aerospace engineers or geologists (an inclusive view); or do they reject all expertise on the basis of problems they've had with picking it up (an exclusive view).

The former would be the hoaxers who claim they can argue with aerospace engineers and geologists on what they think is an equivalent level of expertise - they haul themselves up to the level of experts. The latter would reject any claims by those aerospace engineers and geologists in a sort of "everyone knows that can't be right" style - they haul the experts down to their level of inexpertise.

So I think Apollo hoaxers can be placed in two broad groups, depending on how they view expert knowledge.

The thing I'm increasingly noticing among hoaxers are the number of flat earthers.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 04:20:13 AM »
An interesting development I'm seeing on at least one HB facebook group is a narrowing of focus. Whereas a hefty chunk of the members bleat out the usual uneducated garbage, the page admins (including the blunder) are increasingly intolerant of things that are obviously incorrect.

They're pointing out that yes, rockets work in space, no you wouldn't expect stars in photographs and so on. One of them (who claims to work for the CNSA on some free energy BS or other - he really doesn't) is perfectly happy that a rocket made its way to the moon and took photos to prove it, just that it was unmanned and all photos were from a camera mounted outside.

He kind of skips over the stuff that makes that theory impossible, but he will respond to other posters pointing out their errors while still maintaining his own fiction as fact. He thinks the actual astronauts stayed in LEO, and their must have been secret second launches to achieve that.

What they're trying to avoid, they claim, is people posting nonsense that makes them, and by extension their theory, look stupid. It's a full time job ;)

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 04:33:39 AM »

Or

It's certainly an issue, but whether it's a mental issue I'm not so sure.

The thing I'm learning more and more is just how much expertise there is to learn in our society, even in seemingly straightforward jobs.

The question for me is how these hoax people view that sort of "everyday" expertise. Do they see it as equivalent to the highly technical expertise of aerospace engineers or geologists (an inclusive view); or do they reject all expertise on the basis of problems they've had with picking it up (an exclusive view).

The former would be the hoaxers who claim they can argue with aerospace engineers and geologists on what they think is an equivalent level of expertise - they haul themselves up to the level of experts. The latter would reject any claims by those aerospace engineers and geologists in a sort of "everyone knows that can't be right" style - they haul the experts down to their level of inexpertise.

So I think Apollo hoaxers can be placed in two broad groups, depending on how they view expert knowledge.

The thing I'm increasingly noticing among hoaxers are the number of flat earthers.

Yes i agree Peter. I believe you reside in Australia.

The first thing i ask is 'Please can you provide me with a map of the Flat Earth which shows Australia to be the correct shape'. Like you my sister in law lives there and knows very well the distances between the cities which cannot ever correspond to the 2D map. To date i've never had one. Professor Dave on youtube does some excellent videos on the Flat Earth