Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy has passed away  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Leonard Nimoy has passed away
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Leonard Nimoy has passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
Sad news indeed
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
Sad to hear, Star trek played a big part of my childhood and adulthood, if truth be known.

RIP Mr Spock. :(
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
I'll paraphrase his signature character, and say the man did live long and prosper... and we who enjoyed his work prospered from it. Thanks Leonard.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
Sad to hear, Star trek played a big part of my childhood and adulthood, if truth be known.

And mine.

I guess Vulcans don't live for over 200 years after all

R.I.P. Mr Spock
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honoured dead. And yet, it should be noted that, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of a new life, the sunrise of a new world. A world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings.

Of my friend I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

:'(
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »
Yes, sad news indeed.

Makes his car advertisement with Zachary Quinto all the more poignant:
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honoured dead. And yet, it should be noted that, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of a new life, the sunrise of a new world. A world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings.
I grew up with leonard nimoy as a person to be emulated, not just as an actor.

JohnB.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Canadians urged to stop Spocking their five dollar bills.. :)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:08:29 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
And then there was one . . .

. . . dammit.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
...dammint, Jim.