Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 179740 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #2055 on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Several Republicans have openly admitted being afraid of their base.  As this proved they should be.  But caving in to them wasn't the correct solution.  I'm just hoping that the majority of voters--who support the process--realize that their leadership is unethical cowards and votes them out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-16/why-does-trump-still-seem-to-hold-sway-republican-party-us/13155588

This article discusses the problem. In particular it points out how McConnell on the one hand has threatened Trump that he's still on the hook, but on the other hand voted to acquit.

ETA: The Australian ABC has a short weekly TV show called Mediawatch which critiques the less impressive activities of the media. This week's program included a segment about the effects of legal action by the two voting machine companies on some media outlets: https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/fox/13156896
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:30:39 PM by Peter B »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2056 on: February 21, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
I've moved the discussion of the current emergency in Texas and the power grid to a separate topic: The future of the electric grid
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2057 on: February 21, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
Thank you!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #2058 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:57 AM »
I've moved the discussion of the current emergency in Texas and the power grid to a separate topic: The future of the electric grid

Good idea.  I originally expected to make it a Rick Perry topic, but the engineering is more fun to talk about.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #2059 on: February 24, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
The Framers understood partisanship. I think they felt that today's hyperpartisanship would not arise.  Or if it did, the "lordly" decorum of the Senate would reign it in.

Our House of Lords seems pretty good in that regards. Unelected apparatchiks with jobs for life and hence no reason to care what you think can counterintuitively work sometimes.