Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399379 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
...his whole Twitter fiasco is nothing more than a puppet-show on stage whilst the truly nefarious deals are being done in the shadows of the wings.

Agreed.  It looks like the Republican strategy is to allow Trump to distract the media while the Republican establishment hands the country back to the corporations and banks.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
But really what we need to discuss with such learned company is was the Louisiana Purchase a case of executive overreach?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
But really what we need to discuss with such learned company is was the Louisiana Purchase a case of executive overreach?

Not according to Madison, who placed it squarely within the power of the Executive to negotiate treaties.  But ssssh! or else Trump will want to build another couple of walls and make France pay for them.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
I've read that tourism as an industry is taking a serious hit.
Me too. And it's really quite ironic, give that it's a major export industry. Many not in percent of our GNP, but certainly large in absolute dollars per year.

And not just tourism either. International business travelers are rightfully afraid to come to the US. If I were organizing one of the big international meetings of Internet engineers I used to attend, I would probably agree that the ones normally held in the US should be moved to Canada for the time being. They've often been held in Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal and I'm sure the Canadians would welcome the extra business.

I like to say that higher education is one of this country's most important exports, given how many foreign students you see at almost any university. The rest of the world has always looked to the United States as the world leader in advanced education, basic and applied research and market creation, and they try to send us their best students. That's something we have every right to be proud of. Yet Trump is happily dynamiting all that in the ironic name of "making America great again". Ugh. He has absolutely no idea what made this country great in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:08:08 AM by ka9q »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2017, 06:14:01 AM »
Speaking of higher education, everybody knows there's a strong correlation between support for Trump and the lack of a college degree. I think I know why this is, and it's not the extra education per se.

It's that many young people meet foreigners -- lots of 'em -- for the very first time when they go to college. When I was a Cornell undergrad in the 1970s, I had fellow students from practically every country in the world, but especially (pre-revolutionary) Iran, China and India. You quickly accept them as fellow students who just happen to look a little different and speak English a little differently (although that part could be a problem).

Many people without the benefit of a college degree, especially those who grow up, go to public school and live their entire lives in rural areas, never get that opportunity. And so they (can be made to) fear those they do not know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:18:32 AM by ka9q »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »
Not according to Madison, who placed it squarely within the power of the Executive to negotiate treaties.  But ssssh! or else Trump will want to build another couple of walls and make France pay for them.
Hey, the German comedian Jan Böhmermann points out that Germany also built a big, beautiful wall and they even made the Russians pay for it!

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
Speaking of higher education, everybody knows there's a strong correlation between support for Trump and the lack of a college degree. I think I know why this is, and it's not the extra education per se.

It's that many young people meet foreigners -- lots of 'em -- for the very first time when they go to college. When I was a Cornell undergrad in the 1970s, I had fellow students from practically every country in the world, but especially (pre-revolutionary) Iran, China and India. You quickly accept them as fellow students who just happen to look a little different and speak English a little differently (although that part could be a problem).

Many people without the benefit of a college degree, especially those who grow up, go to public school and live their entire lives in rural areas, never get that opportunity. And so they (can be made to) fear those they do not know.

That's certainly the impression I get from some of the more frothy-mouthed Trump supporters on Unexplained Mysteries - their fear of Muslims is so visceral and hysterical I find it easy to believe they've never actually knowingly met one. I'd suggest that they chill out and go have lunch at their local Turkish restaurant or Lebanese take-away, but then I wonder whether they actually have such treasures where they live...

And the irony is, you go to a Turkish restaurant here in Australia, and they're so strictly Islamic they serve wine and offer Christmas banquets...  ::)

And another thought - if you want to see a crowd of 100,000 fanatic Muslims: go to the cricket in Pakistan or Bangladesh, rather than the mosque. I'm not going to say I'd feel safe at a cricket match in Karachi in a crowd that big, but I don't think I'd be at risk from religious violence.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
Just to add to my previous point about Pakistani cricket crowds, it's worth looking at the player lists for the five teams in the Pakistani Super League (the local competition of the short-short version of cricket - Twenty20): http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-super-league-2016-17/content/squad/index.html?object=1075974

Even those who know nothing about cricket will see that all five squads have a decent number of black (West Indian) and white (English, South African, Australian and New Zealander) players. What's not so obvious is that most teams also have one or two Sri Lankan players as well, and for one club their captain is a Sri Lankan. Sure, I don't think there's a single Indian player there, but the cosmopolitan nature of the teams should be pretty obvious: the fans and the organisers want good players, not just good Pakistani players.

And while most of the games in the comp were played in the UAE, the final was played in Lahore in front of a crowd of 22,000 very excited Pakistanis.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »
It isn't even just meeting foreigners.  It's meeting anyone who is not just like you.  I would suspect that, in many places, college-educated people are the ones most likely to have met black or Hispanic people, to have met people from multiple socioeconomic strata, to have met essentially anyone who lives a different lifestyle.  It's why I get so deeply annoyed at the concept of a "liberal bubble" coming from people where 90% of the population is the same ethnicity, religion, and class whose families have all lived in the same place for five generations.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
There's an old Vulcan proverb: Only Nixon can go to China.
I thought it was an old Klingon proverb.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2017, 02:44:41 AM »
There's an old Vulcan proverb: Only Nixon can go to China.
I thought it was an old Klingon proverb.
No it's Vulcan. You must be thinking of revenge is a dish best served cold.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
I like to say that higher education is one of this country's most important exports, given how many foreign students you see at almost any university. The rest of the world has always looked to the United States as the world leader in advanced education, basic and applied research and market creation, and they try to send us their best students. That's something we have every right to be proud of. Yet Trump is happily dynamiting all that in the ironic name of "making America great again". Ugh. He has absolutely no idea what made this country great in the first place.
We've got a similar situation in the UK, foreign student numbers down since the Brexit vote and also, apparently, fewer UK students going to European universities.  This cutting off of links puts all the rhetoric about the UK going to be a great global player into perspective.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
I've just cancelled a visit to the US, it was only a short stop over to present at a conference.  Must too much of a potential hassle for this Malaysian born research to cope with.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
I think that's a shame. However the Trump presidency is so determinedly anti-intellectual that they probably think fewer foreign academics entering the country is negligible at worst and an achievement in "purity" at best.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
Two weeks till I travel. If I survive, I will report on how I got on, most critically that I survived. That Iraq is no longer on the naughty step may make things easier.