Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 418567 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1470 on: October 21, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
I'm sure hackers around the world took that as a challenge to hack him. If he believes people can't be hacked then it probably means he doesn't take security seriously.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/jeremy-clarkson-victim-of-id-fraud-after-publishing-bank-details/
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1471 on: October 21, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1472 on: October 21, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1473 on: October 21, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »
Reminds me of this:
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/jeremy-clarkson-victim-of-id-fraud-after-publishing-bank-details/

Wow.  ;D

Why would anyone tempt fate like that?

You mean like tempting the wrath of whatever from high atop the thing?
"He'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” to quote the late, great, Sir Terry.
In Trump related news, his nominee for the US Supreme Court was a trustee of a school with very, very discriminatory policies, both before and during her trusteeship.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amy-coney-barrett-was-trustee-at-private-school-with-anti-gay-policies_n_5f8ff442c5b62333b2408c19?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&utm_source=politics_fb&section=politics&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0uv3_g9qFujmKkw9iEZ9nd3Yqc5KyWP4lTmMR1HO3-oyF8sDazEFvgBQ4

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
« Reply #1474 on: October 21, 2020, 11:01:57 PM »
Reminds me of this:

Wow.  ;D

Why would anyone tempt fate like that?

You mean like tempting the wrath of whatever from high atop the thing?

It's okay, he can just go outside, turn around 3 times, and spit and curse.   

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1475 on: October 22, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
I'm sure hackers around the world took that as a challenge to hack him. If he believes people can't be hacked then it probably means he doesn't take security seriously.

Also, if "people don't get hacked" then why was it such a big deal for Hillary Clinton to have her own email server?

It didn't take long, did it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/22/trump-twitter-hacked-dutch-researcher-password?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1603381243
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1476 on: October 22, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
Oh my god. Apparently his password was "maga2020!". If that is true he is a bigger idiot than I thought.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1477 on: October 22, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
Guessing obvious passwords still works.  The most effective technique is still spear-phishing.  You don't need to "know 15% of the password."  That's not even remotely close to how cryptography works, as most of you probably already know.  And you don't need a super high I.Q.  Most effective hacks are actually done with automated tools that even a teenager could download and apply.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1478 on: October 23, 2020, 04:05:32 AM »
Oh my god. Apparently his password was "maga2020!". If that is true he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

Given that the alleged breach happened before Trumps speech, and given the way the autonomous sensory bulb that he refers to as his brain works, I'd hazard a guess that the speech was prompted by his security detail briefing him on the hack. Trump could not possibly conceive that his actions, his utter failure to understand basic security and his stupidity were responsible for someone guessing his password, so the way that he internalized the news was that he was breached by someone with superhuman intelligence or that they already had part of his password. Clearly someone who's uncle was in MIT and who posses such "good genes" would never be dumb enough to choose a simple guessable password! ::)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1479 on: October 23, 2020, 04:25:28 AM »

Colonel Sandurz: So the combination is one two three four five.

Lord Helmet: That's the stupidest combination I ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

President Scroob [entering the room]: Well, did it work?

Colonel Sandurz: We have the combination.

President Scroob: Great! What is it?

Colonel Sandurz: One two three four five.

President Scroob: One two three four five? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

Thank you Spaceballs.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1480 on: October 23, 2020, 04:32:30 AM »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1481 on: October 23, 2020, 12:01:02 PM »
Do I tend to have fairly obvious passwords?  Yes.  No one wants my identity.  I don't have any money for them to steal.  Heck, the bills aren't even in my name.  They can't ruin my credit; I don't have any, and if they do, I wouldn't really notice, as I don't use my credit.  If I had money worth protecting, I'd take more care with my passwords.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1482 on: October 23, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
For 20 years the paasscode to the "nuclear football" was 8 zeroes.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/12/11/for-nearly-20-years-the-launch-code-for-us-nuclear-missiles-was-00000000/

I haven't checked out the link yet but if it is what I think then yes. They built various safety interlocks into the weapons but the DoD (USAF?) was afraid that complex codes were going to impede the ability to retaliate effectively, so they didn't "set" any codes.

Did it mention one of the Broken Arrow incidents where six of the seven interlocks failed?

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1483 on: October 24, 2020, 10:16:53 PM »
So, a data point in case anyone’s interested...

I live in Texas, just outside of Austin, often described as "the blueberry in the tomato soup."  Largely urban, populated mostly by lawyers, musicians, and code monkeys.  Strongly liberal, at least by Texas standards.  Today I had to drive out to Navasota, which is pretty much the polar opposite - largely rural, lots of farmers and ranchers, very conservative (socially more so than politically, but they do hate the soshulizm), home of billboard-sized yard signs for whichever Republican is running that year.  Back in 2016 all the signs were for Trump.

This year there were still plenty of Trump signs, but there were a significant number of Biden signs (including a billboard-sized one in front of one farm), along with Hegar signs (Dem candidate for Senate) and Siegel (House candidate).  In both Brenham and Navasota, I’d say it was between 7-3 and 6-4 Republican to Democratic signs, which is remarkable. 

I’m not going to say Texas is actually in play, but ... this is not following the pattern of the last few decades.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1484 on: October 25, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
There's one guy a few blocks away from me with a banner, which I firmly believe is why so many people around him have Biden signs.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates