Author Topic: Yet Another Fiducials Claim  (Read 16866 times)

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
Re: Yet Another Fiducials Claim
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »

I swear though, these guys can get really emotional and aggressive. Having checked his Reddit profile, the guy claims he's a "targeted individual", e.g. a victim of "gangstalking", so maybe there isn't much to do against that level of delusion and paranoia.

Claims of being the victim of gangstalking activity are associated with schizophrenia. If that guy really is schizophrenic, you cannot reason with him. I know from experience, the death of my grandmother triggered schizophrenia in my mother when I was seven...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »
If that guy really is schizophrenic, you cannot reason with him. I know from experience, the death of my grandmother triggered schizophrenia in my mother when I was seven...

I'm loath to attempt an amateur diagnosis from someone's social media.  But I do agree -- also from experience -- that there is no reasoning with someone suffering from schizophrenia.  Their beliefs don't stem from a reasoning error.  Many times they reason defensibly from "facts" that are all too real to them, but only to them.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 06:14:32 AM »
If that guy really is schizophrenic, you cannot reason with him. I know from experience, the death of my grandmother triggered schizophrenia in my mother when I was seven...

I'm loath to attempt an amateur diagnosis from someone's social media.  But I do agree -- also from experience -- that there is no reasoning with someone suffering from schizophrenia.  Their beliefs don't stem from a reasoning error.  Many times they reason defensibly from "facts" that are all too real to them, but only to them.
It's a downside of the internet. There are many legit schizophrenics, and convincing those to seek treatment is not easy. Sometimes not even possible, tragically.

There are also buffons on the internet who intentionally imitate such symptoms. That is how they get their jollies apparently. Those people never consider that they are harming the genuinely afflicted. Because they don't care.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 06:56:23 AM »

Yeah, me too. I just lack the English chops to express it succinctly. I'm 42 now so my mother has been schizophrenic for the last 35 years. She is currently in her third (that I know of) involuntary hospitalization. The earlier stints were 1-2 months but now she has been there for almost 2 years and I think she won't be returning home. It is frightening when she alone is odds with the rest of the world, she thinks the rest of the world is crazy and she is the only one sane. She is completely incapable of self-reflection.

It's a downside of the internet. There are many legit schizophrenics, and convincing those to seek treatment is not easy. Sometimes not even possible, tragically.

There are also buffons on the internet who intentionally imitate such symptoms. That is how they get their jollies apparently. Those people never consider that they are harming the genuinely afflicted. Because they don't care.

It's scary what some people do when they are shielded from repercussions by the anonymity provided by internet.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
It is frightening when she alone is odds with the rest of the world, she thinks the rest of the world is crazy and she is the only one sane. She is completely incapable of self-reflection.

I think it would be terrifying to suffer like that.  But yes, it explains a lot of behavior that schizophrenics exhibit.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »
There is a condition I learned about some years ago called anosognosia, which is the inability to know that there's anything wrong with your brain.  If I remember correctly, some 40% of mentally ill people have it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
That would explain why diminished meta-cognition is spoken of in the DSM for so many otherwise different conditions.  The study of conspiracy theories is, to a certain extent, the study of human thought.  I can speak forever on how to build and operate spacecraft.  But that's not really the interesting thing when it comes to conspiracy theories.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
I am, as so many others are, unwilling to do much in the way of internet diagnosis, but there are a few people we've encountered over the years where I could definitely see the anosognosia working.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
I've bought an old 70mm slide duplicate of AS11-40-5931, bad prints of which are infamously used by hoaxnuts to claim crosshairs were pasted in later.

If it is a NASA duplicate, it should be several steps closer to the original film and retain more detail in the highlights.

When it arrives I will post a HQ 4000 DPI scan made with a professional film scanner.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon