Author Topic: Any flight simmers here?  (Read 24026 times)

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
Re: Any flight simmers here?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
Man...you just made me realize that I built my current PC almost four years ago!  When I first assembled it, the basic specs were:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield Quad-Core, 2.83GHz, 12MB L2 Cache
  • Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Ram: 8GB, DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
  • Video: MSI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Since then I've upgraded a couple of things:

• Video: MSI Radeon HD 6870 Twin Froz II 1GB GDDR5

It ran (and runs) FSX quite respectably at medium-high settings.  I can't tell you the last time I checked my FR, though.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
LO I have an AMD Phenom II 1100 6 core. Admittedly FSX only used 4 cores at the most and all sim related calculations were done on Core 0. However, íf you do a search for FSX tipps and tweaks, you will get the frames you need. There is also a program which substitutes the FSX background sceneries for the less detailed FS9 ones giving a near 50% boost in fps. There are quite a few settings to tweak in order for a better fps.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
The most realistic flight simulator by far has to be Battlefield 3:

Jumping out of one jet to jump into another?  Oh yeah, standard maneuver.  You learn that in the most basic of flight schools, right?
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
The most realistic flight simulator by far has to be Battlefield 3:

Jumping out of one jet to jump into another?  Oh yeah, standard maneuver.  You learn that in the most basic of flight schools, right?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
I do that all the time, except in orbit.
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.

Offline ipearse

• Venus
  • There is no such thing as a stupid question
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
I've only just spotted this thread. I am a regular user if FS9 and FSX. I belong to 3 Virtual Airlines - BAVirtual, Andras Meridian and the vRAF. I have Saitek yoke, quads and pedals, and a radio panel. Twin-screen setup (limited by space to a 17" and a 19") and fly using VATSIM regularly. My ambition when knee-high was to be a pilot - this is about as close as I'm likely to get, but it's fun and you meet nice people online.
"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but we cannot live in the cradle forever" - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
Good to hear ipearse. Check out prepar3d. It is where to future of flight simming lies. It also has the possibility for sub-orbital sim.

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
I got around to installing Prepar3d a couple of nights ago but did nothing more than fly for a few minutes with a simple 3-axis joystick.  I might have time this weekend to check it out with the full control setup.  Dwight...are the Saitek drivers up to date for use with the sim?

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi PetersCreek, for the radio panel, multi-panel and switch panel I use the SPAD drivers which are way more stable than anything Saitek brought out. In fact they recommend it for hard-core simmers. You will need FSCUIP in order to run the panels, but that is free for the tasks demanded from them. All my panels are fully functional on both P3D and FSX. All the drivers etc you need you can find here:

http://fstools.weebly.com/

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

For the flight yoke and the Flight Instrument Panels, the Saitek drivers work for both programs. Just be sure to install the latest versions from www.saitek.com

Happy flying.

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
I'd taken a look at SPAD a few days ago but I'd forgotten to go back and download it.  Thanks for the reminder.  I already had FSCUIP but it appears they updated it for P3D so I downloaded it again.  After sorting out a problem with my brakes...they were mapped for roll...then they were always on...I'm up and flying.  I flew from a nearby small airport to Homer, then Seldovia, then back to Homer.

I'm a bit bummed that my TrackIR doesn't work natively.  I'll have to buy EZDok to get that working again.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:22:12 PM by PetersCreek »

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »
I've been playing so much Orbiter lately. SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon ftw!!

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
A little more progress yesterday.  I cross loaded a few of my favorite aircraft from FSX to P3D: C172 w/ floats, C185, C208, and the DH-6 Twin Otter.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get my Ultimate Alaska scenery package to work and it doesn't look like the publisher is in any hurry to port it. 

I'm also going to have to wait for EzDok v2 to release.  The current version (1.17) "unofficially" works (with fiddling) but v2 will be a full release only, with no free upgrade for current users.  I don't want to pay for it twice, so I'll just have to get along without TrackIR working in P3D for who-knows-how-long.  Makes me appreciate how much it spoiled me in FSX.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
Good to hear. I have been so busy I havent had a chance to P3D. I have gone the easy route of FSX for short flights around Miami. Maybe on the weekend. Have you crossed the 737 and Learjet by chance?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:04:33 PM by dwight »

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
Have you crossed the 737 and Learjet by chance?

No, not yet since I've only flown each a time or two...and it wasn't pretty.  I did move the CRJ-700 because I'd like to put a little time into learning that airframe.

If they're setup like the others, the cross should be problem-free.  It's just a matter of moving folders/files from FSX's SimObjects/Aircraft, /Effects, and /Gauges folders to their corresponding folders in P3D.

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
I really need to get a joy stick for KSP and Orbiter, though.
Something like this:
http://www.adorama.com/LOGWMAT3.html?gclid=CLaBj8_ShrECFQQJRQodaDA8IA

Does anybody know of any well-priced ones that are really good?

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
Any flight simmers here?
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
I have a couple of 3-axis joysticks.  One is similar to the Logitech model you linked to... the Extreme 3D Pro.  The ergonomics are just okay for me.  I much prefer the other joystick...the original model of the Saitek Aviator.  It has one feature that I think makes it a better general-purpose sim stick...dual throttles.  The Saitek site now shows a couple of newer models which are basically the same but with some updated buttons, bells, and whistles.