Poll

Do you visit the forum using a mobile device (iOS, Android, Blackberry, etc.)?

Yes
4 (25%)
No
10 (62.5%)
Not yet, but might in the future
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 11, 2012, 04:55:16 PM

Author Topic: Mobile devices  (Read 19072 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Mobile devices
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
I'm curious to know whether anyone besides me ever used the Proboards app for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad) or Android devices. There is an app that you can use called Tapatalk that will let you access the new forum the same way, but I have to allow it first. Tapatalk actually made the Proboards app, so I suspect this app would be quite similar.

The only reason I haven't just gone ahead and allowed this app to access the new forum is because once I do it will popup a message whenever you access the forum directly on your device that says there is an app available, which could be annoying if you have no interest in using the app.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Mobile devices
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
You have to have a mobile device before you can access the board using one!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
I occasionally accessed the old forum from my iPhone, but never thought the proboards app was worth buying.  But an app that can allow me to access this and other forums running the same software, would be worth looking into. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »
I'm curious to know whether anyone besides me ever used the Proboards app for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad) or Android devices. There is an app that you can use called Tapatalk that will let you access the new forum the same way, but I have to allow it first. Tapatalk actually made the Proboards app, so I suspect this app would be quite similar.

Got the message all the time, but never took advantage of Proboards' generous offer.

The only reason I haven't just gone ahead and allowed this app to access the new forum is because once I do it will popup a message whenever you access the forum directly on your device that says there is an app available, which could be annoying if you have no interest in using the app.

Rather how I felt about the Proboards app, but it was a minor annoyance.  And I'm an infrequent enough user that I should probably receive relatively low weighting in the decision-making process.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
Please, no. That nag was annoying.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Good news... I did some checking and I should be able to disable the nag. So we'll be able to choose between the regular forum or the app without the constant popups.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
The proboards app couldn't find this forum or District Dave's forum rendering it useless.  An app would be nice though.  It's nice when things are a little more optimised, although TfL's mobile site is annoying because you can't get the bus timetables.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
Doesn't the WAP2 link at the bottom provide the proper mobile phone format?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Mobile devices
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
The WAP2 version of the site is very basic. I'm not even sure if it displays images. It's meant for regular cellphones that don't have large screens.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »
I've added the modification that will allow the Tapatalk app to work with this forum (and also TheSpaceRace.com). The app is available for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, and Blackberry.

I disabled the popup, so you can still choose to visit the browser in your mobile browser without being nagged to use the app.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »
Yet another benefit to leaving proboards.  Great work.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »
Is the app any good? It costs £2 so it would be good to get some reviews first.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
I blew three buck on Tapatalk this morning and logged into Apollo hoax and my geocaching forum, where we also have a tech savvy moderator.  Briefly, Tapatalk gives the user what is needed to keep up with the forum.   Tap on the "latest" button and it automatically give the latest unread threads.  Tap on one of those and you go to the latest unread post for the tread.  You can also select "Participated"  for forums you've posted in but don't have new posts since your last time to read them.  It seems quite usable. That is the five minutes of use review.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
I've blown a couple of quid on it in 10th minutes. But the zooming was annoying so I decided to go for it.  Seems okay.

The one thing I'm not sure about is how to make a favourite forum. I have the same problem with Skyscraper City app which is probably the same app but personalized.

Also I read on the description of nefariousness that this app can create shortcuts. Does that mean it can create shortcuts directly to my boards of choice?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:47:13 PM by Glom »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
Found it. You have to hold down in the forum to bring up a submenu.