Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 832979 times)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #945 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »

14 large hippos, which makes me wonder how they got the hippos up there in the elevator.

It's a big elevator :)

That's a good thing because I pity the guy who would've had to herd them up the steps.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #946 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »

14 large hippos, which makes me wonder how they got the hippos up there in the elevator.

It's a big elevator :)

That's a good thing because I pity the guy who would've had to herd them up the steps.

That reminds me of a great scene from the old Hill Street Blues series when Renko and his partner encountered a steer rustled from the stockyards that someone snuck into an inner-city walk-up apartment on the fourth floor:  "You got a problem, officer!  Cows got up genes!  They ain't got no down genes!"

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #947 on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »
Björkman has decided to spend his involuntary vacation from the forum polishing his page. I caught several revisions, but decided to wait until they accumulate. Some of the changes since my last diff include:

The title element of the page* has been changed from "Is space travel possible?" to "Space travel is not possible!". :D (*The title element contains the text displayed in the title bar of the browser's window.)

There's another dig at SpaceX in the beginning (again, I've marked the added text in green):
If you think I am crazy I recommend that you emmigrate to Mars and make a fortune there. The space ship is ready! But can you really trust the space travel agent Elon Musk selling the tickets? Elon is performing SpaceX re-entries [link to the SpaceX section in the article] today. But is anybody really up there in the ISS being re-entered? The ISS is 99% NASA that created the Apollo 11 hoax paid for by US tax payers. I have a feeling the show is just going on. Prove me wrong!

Heiwa, I suggest looking up the ownership of the different components of the ISS and who put them up there. I guess it will be a surprise to you that there is a sizable Russian part. I also suggest updating your page, because it talks about the Dragon's flight to the ISS in future tense, and it's already old news. You also seem to be unaware of the initial Dragon flight and reentry that didn't go to the ISS. For your education, here's SpaceX's website:
http://www.spacex.com/

The assertions that the "official version" is inconsistent about the LM's propellant load and its capacity have been quietly removed, most clearly seen in these two consecutive paragraphs: (in red is the removed text, part of which was in red in the original):
Total fuel used by the LM for descent and ascent was 10 237 kg according [1]. How it was possible as the LM could only carry 8 777 kg fuel remains a mystery.

The LM was jettisoned into lunar orbit at 00:01:01 UT on 22 July and remained in lunar orbit, where it should still be today as there is no friction stopping it. According some sources there was still fuel aboard the LM, when it was dumped. Very confusing. And indication that it was a hoax.

...but he's still doubling down on the "not enough fuel for the CSM" assertion:
I would expect that about at least 8 times (!) more fuel/energy had to be used to slow down the heavy - 32.7 ton - space ship. And to carry it + the extra fuel to the Moon you needed a three or four times bigger rocket to get off from Earth in the first place. Which USA didn't have 1969. So NASA decided to just make it up! I am certain.

("Slow down" used to be "stop". :))

He's also apparently enamored with the newfound insight that the Saturn V couldn't have worked because of the increased fuel load required by his incompetent calculations:
It means in my opinion that you need 5-6 times more fuel than suggested by NASA to brake into Moon orbit (events # 5-6) and to get out of Moon orbit (events # 14-15) and and there is no place to carry it and makes the whole space ship weight mass much greater at departure, say around 100 000 kg, that requires more fuel, etc, etc. If the Apollo space ship including fuel must weigh say 100 000 kg at departure, the Saturn three stages rocket is much too small to eject it into space.

He has also intensified the digs against his opponents. He has added a sentence to the attack against Glom ("What a comedy!") and there's also this:
Actually only way to go to Moon and back is using very light weight robots and modules and to chose a long, slow velocity path through space using Sun's gravity, so that arrival speeds and energy requirements are minimum to reduce fuel consumption for braking and accelerating. Prove me wrong and earn € 1 000 000:-. Only fools believe human space travel is possible at all ... and there are many such persons, incl. PhDs of all kind and rocket scientists all paid for by the military, etc, etc. But the hoax show must go on. The ISS and the Shuttle for example! Read on:

Heiwa, does that include the people on this forum? Who do you think gets paid by the military here?

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #948 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
Easier to believe eeveryone  who shows you up is a disinformation  agent than that they are actually  right.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk HD before i drop it backnto the shop (big screen is cool but it's  awkward to use)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #949 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
That reminds me of a great scene from the old Hill Street Blues series when Renko and his partner encountered a steer rustled from the stockyards that someone snuck into an inner-city walk-up apartment on the fourth floor:  "You got a problem, officer!  Cows got up genes!  They ain't got no down genes!"

Graham suggests I remind everyone of the scene in Terry Pratchett's Jingo with the donkey at the top of the minaret.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #950 on: January 09, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »
The title element of the page* has been changed from "Is space travel possible?" to "Space travel is not possible!". :D

So he's clearly not learning.

The assertions that the "official version" is inconsistent about the LM's propellant load and its capacity have been quietly removed...

Of course quietly.  We directly confronted him about his sources and the values he gleaned from them.  He realized he made a mistake, but didn't want anyone to see that he had.  If he's correcting his site based on our feedback, it's so much harder for him to claim that no one qualifies for his prize.  He's ever so sleazy that way.

...but he's still doubling down on the "not enough fuel for the CSM" assertion:

Well in 60 pages he's failed to understand basic rocketry and basic physics, so I don't see why he should suddenly correct all his errors at once.

He has also intensified the digs against his opponents.

Of course, the primary purpose of his web site is to stroke his own ego by calling "fools" the people who do what he only aspires to do.  His whole "career" is trying to find fault with the work of others.  He patently has no technical understanding, skill, or expertise, so he creates his phantom company as an ego-centric construct from which he can hurl invective against qualified practitioners.

He's desperate to write off the expertise being demonstrated here by any means possible.  He originally speculated that I and others were "lazy NASA PhDs," which he had previously proposed to dismiss as mere shills.  Now he's changed horses and suggested, apparently, that we're all "paid by the military."  We aren't, of course, but why would it matter if any of us were?  It's the same old conspiracy theory dodge when presented with superior skill -- try to convert the argument to one of bias and credibility rather than actual expertise.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #951 on: January 09, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »

Graham suggests I remind everyone of the scene in Terry Pratchett's Jingo with the donkey at the top of the minaret.

He beat me to it!  :)
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #952 on: January 09, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
He beat me to it!  :)

He'll be pleased to know it.

While I freely cop to being lazy, NASA wouldn't be foolish enough to hire me and I haven't even gone to grad school.  Does that make me better or worse than you actual engineers?  And my good friend who works for JPL works in their business office, not doing actual science or engineering.  Bet Heiwa doesn't realize how many people work there doing ordinary things.  (My friend also laments that, apparently, she's too D-list to get invited to the good after-Oscar parties.)
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #953 on: January 09, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
Why do none of these HBs ever offer themselves up to NASA or the military as paid shills or disinformation officers so that they could get the goods on them and bust them to the media?

If they are so convinced that paid shills exist,  then PROVE IT!
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #954 on: January 09, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
Think of Han Solo on the Family Guy being told what a parsec really is, and you'll get an approximation of the HB response to your suggestion.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #955 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
And to add, I'm just rolling out and vacuuming the red carpet for the hopeful return tomorrow of his emminence.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #956 on: January 11, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
Think of Han Solo on the Family Guy being told what a parsec really is, and you'll get an approximation of the HB response to your suggestion.
Link or it didn't happen, ROFL.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #957 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »

http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/meet-han-solo.html

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #958 on: January 11, 2013, 07:46:52 PM »
Not available outside the US. Soz.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #959 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »

http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/meet-han-solo.html

I had to view it a couple of times to get it.

Dwight, you're right.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:33:33 PM by AtomicDog »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov