Author Topic: 2012 maya calendar  (Read 100911 times)

Offline DataCable

• Earth
Re: 2012 maya calendar
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
It is comforting to assume that 'time' is constant.
According to Relativity (both General and Special), it's not.

I cannot attempt to explain the Mayan calendar
That's ok, Wikipedia has it covered.

Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:40 AM »
http://www.2012hoax.org

Probably the best site on the web to deal with 2012ers.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
I cannot attempt to explain the Mayan calendar...

It's not exactly that hard to explain. You know how you got to the end of the calendar you had last year? And when you reached the end of December 31st, you went and started a new one at January 1st? It's kind of like that.

Oh, and remember how everyone got excited for January 1st, 2000, for no other real reason than it was a round number of years? The end of the 13th bak'tun will be something like that. It is a round number.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:18:16 AM by twik »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
I cannot attempt to explain the Mayan calendar...

It's not exactly that hard to explain. You know how you got to the end of the calendar you had last year? And when you reached the end of December 31st, you went and started a new one at January 1st? It's kind of like that.

But with fireworks instead of human sacrifices.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

I've seen fireworks before and I have some extra vacation time.  So where do I go to see a human sacrifice?  Its a short hop from Houston to Mexico City.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »

I've seen fireworks before and I have some extra vacation time.  So where do I go to see a human sacrifice?  Its a short hop from Houston to Mexico City.

Well, Mexico City wouldn't be Mayan, but you could run out to the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon, and see if the Teotihuacanos were holding something in their area. Don't think it's known for sure if they used the Mayan calendar, though.

Otherwise, you could try a short hop to Chichen Itza, although my personal fave would be Uxmal.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
We can make many misstakes attempting to understand ancient texts and sign posts, the most erroneous is to assume we know more then ancient peoples, another is to believe we understand what they were attempting to communicate.

In Gary Zukav's book "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" he presents compelling evidence showing that physics has just begun to cognize the Universe in depths that can be found in ancient vedic texts. If you understand the impact of this, you realize that mystics understood Existence or Being long before the invention of science.

The second part of this is, that to understand Vedic or mystical texts it is imperative to know that these texts cannot be understood through thinking. They are not presenting constructs, they are intuitive cognitions, projected through mystical experience from within the field of absolute being. To KNOW, one must experience the same. Without the experience, one can only guess at what the experience is, there is no knowing.

So with that said.
It is comforting to assume that 'time' is constant. Yet time is merely a concept of measurement. An interval, a unit depicting the movement or change of form or matter. Passage or flow of thoughts reinforces the illusion that time is real.

I cannot attempt to explain the Mayan calendar, I can offer an interesting view that may lend support to...whatever may be.

Terence McKenna in his work "Time Wave Zero" cognized and provided proofs for an underlying pattern to the evolution of existence.

Reflecting on a vision that form or matter is vibration within the field of undifferentiated, Mckenna's work may be translated in terms that form or matter vibrates within a field of undifferentiated which also vibrates and does so in a recognizable pattern. This underlying vibration ultimately effects all.
Simply put, this patten can be compared to a music scale and it's octaves. As the Universe evolves it moves from one vibration to the next and then to the next octave, each octave allowing for another level of complexity to come into existence.
And similar to a musical scale there maybe a limit to the range of octaves.
Maybe we are reaching the end of the range or just the limit of our capability to cognize the range.

You realize that this whole long post adds absolutely NO support to the theory that the end of the current bak'tun in the Mayan calendar will bring about any sort of catastrophe, right?

...it is imperative to know that these texts cannot be understood through thinking...

While this is probably a gross insult to Mayan and Vedic scholars, it accurately describes most of the New Agey stuff that is supposedly based on them.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
While this is probably a gross insult to Mayan and Vedic scholars, it accurately describes most of the New Agey stuff that is supposedly based on them.
Do you ever stop thinking?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
Do you ever start?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »
You realize that this whole long post adds absolutely NO support to the theory that the end of the current bak'tun in the Mayan calendar will bring about any sort of catastrophe, right?

It is being supported in a powerful way, in that Terence McKenna, independently and without knowledge of the Mayan Prophecy had calculated the end date to be December 21, 2012.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
Do you ever start?
Problem is in stopping.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »

Being a scholar can be similar to a person studying and researching the riding of a bicycle but never having been on one, they, will always lack the experience of the riding, of the bike. 

When a scholar directs his studies to spiritual matters, lacking the spiritual experience, they, can only study the mundane.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:16:26 PM by profmunkin »

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »

New ideas come from the outside of the box.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »

New ideas come from the outside of the box.
It doesn't matter where ideas come from.

They must be tested.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:56 AM »

It is being supported in a powerful way, in that Terence McKenna, independently and without knowledge of the Mayan Prophecy had calculated the end date to be December 21, 2012.

1. Prove his ideas were independent and without knowledge of anyone else's.
2. The Mayans made no prophesies about the end of the world.
3. Terence McKenna took a LOT of mind-altering drugs and his thoughts and behaviour may also have been influenced by his brain cancer.  In other words, anything he said is very suspect.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.