Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

1969 1-Inch Video Tapes with Apollo 11 Landing & Moonwalk

<< < (3/3)

apollo16uvc:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on September 23, 2021, 05:17:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: apollo16uvc on September 23, 2021, 01:11:03 PM ---I have already found a company in the Netherlands with two Ampex Type A machines. Even if they are NTSC reels, playback on a PAL machine for the sound is possible. Then I can identify if it has NASA material on it, or something else like football or I Love Lucy.
--- End quote ---

Here's hoping for the former and not that latter!

--- Quote from: apollo16uvc on September 23, 2021, 01:11:03 PM ---If they do contain Apollo 11 broadcasts, I think I will be able to identify source from the audio aswel. If they were sourced from NASA, a television channel or a tracking station.

--- End quote ---

Would the presence or absence of quindar tones be a clue to that?

--- End quote ---

Yes

I think quindar tones were added by houston for internal communication and would not be in the feed received by an antenna from the spacecrafts or recorded at a tracking station.

Comments from channel hosts, some of which are pretty historic, would also be a big clue as to the source.

apollo16uvc:

--- Quote from: bknight on July 14, 2021, 08:46:17 PM ---I find it difficult to get any data from those tapes in the degraded condition they appear.
Good luck.

--- End quote ---
They don't look very degraded to me. They unspool easily, are not falling apart and don't have any strange smells. No water and mold damage either.

Hopefully they play fine and don't need to be baked.

apollo16uvc:
Found someone an hour driving from here that has a type C machine.

I have been told by DCVideo that a type A tape will have its audio track aligned with the cue track on type C.

Hoping to get a short piece of each tape played tomorrow. This will allow me to verify the contents on the tape by audio.

Then I will know if the labels hold true and I can work on shipping to DCVideo.

So it is time to find out what's on them once and for all.

Very exciting!

apollo16uvc:
Scanning head detail of Michaels' type C machine... with the "Landing" tape threaded:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version