Author Topic: Apollo 16 photograph shows UFO?  (Read 16955 times)

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Apollo 16 photograph shows UFO?
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
I came across this intriguing picture Apollo 16 picture, AS16-114-18423, which the cranks at DavidIcke.com say is proof of a UFO  ;D

Taken from

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/apollo/apollo16/html/as16-114-18423.html

The image shows two interesting interesting blobs above and to the left of Charlie Dukes head. Does anyone know what they might be? Lense flare, perhaps?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:52:24 PM by Inanimate Carbon Rod »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
Re: Apollo 16 photograph shows UFO?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »
Their axis of symmetry is on the line running from the light source through the centre of the image.
That's always a good indicator of a lens artefact.

Compare with this.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »
Combined with the other cues in that image, yes, lens flare is exactly what those blobs are. Their position, the fact that they are in a pair like that, and the clear position of the Sun in that image doesn't leave much other explanation.

But of course HBs insist things like lens flare never happen, so they won't buy it anyway.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:33:23 AM »
Keeping it secret aren't they. You would think with all the photoshop skills in the 60's and 70's they would have air brushed it out.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
I love how there is both conspiracy theorists who think Apollo was faked and ones who think the Apollo record has UFO that were alien spacecraft.
Two houses, both alike in (lack of) dignity.
The flame wars must be epic, and me without my marshmallows.

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
I love how there is both conspiracy theorists who think Apollo was faked and ones who think the Apollo record has UFO that were alien spacecraft.
And in certain special cases both that Apollo was faked and that it shows the existence of aliens, without acknowledging (or even apparently recognising) the inherent contradiction
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
And in certain special cases both that Apollo was faked and that it shows the existence of aliens, without acknowledging (or even apparently recognising) the inherent contradiction
If doublethink was a problem for conspiracy theorists, I doubt they'd be conspiracy theorists. :P

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
Combined with the other cues in that image, yes, lens flare is exactly what those blobs are. Their position, the fact that they are in a pair like that, and the clear position of the Sun in that image doesn't leave much other explanation.

But of course HBs insist things like lens flare never happen, so they won't buy it anyway.

J.J. Abrams is also a government conspiracy.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

But which government?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:59:33 AM »

But which government?

The shadowy World Government, of course.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline RedneckR0nin

• Venus
  • RnR
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
We landed..you too can learn this if you research

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »

But which government?

The shadowy World Government, of course.

Hidden within the shadows of all those lens flairs, no doubt. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »
And of course Oliver Stone is a government shill disinformation agent.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
No, just an overrated director!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
I came across this intriguing picture Apollo 16 picture, AS16-114-18423, which the cranks at DavidIcke.com say is proof of a UFO  ;D

Taken from

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/apollo/apollo16/html/as16-114-18423.html

The image shows two interesting interesting blobs above and to the left of Charlie Dukes head. Does anyone know what they might be? Lense flare, perhaps?
I have a slightly different question concerning this image.
When magnified there is two bright spots right above the horizon is Charlie's visor, stacked on top of each other.  What could these be?(I got the lens flair in the upper part of the image)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan