Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Reality of Apollo / Linus on the Saturn V IU
« Last post by Glom on January 13, 2022, 01:43:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/olRF5Ckaga0

Don't know if people have seen this video by Linus on the Saturn V IU. Interesting to see someone who normally talks about the latest gaming hardware talk about something of such a different generation.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 8 TV question
« Last post by dwight on January 11, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »
Hi Jason, my sincerest apologies for not replying earlier. I was flat out the 2nd half of last year with promoting Searching for Skylab.

So now on to your question. At the time there was no TV monitor small enough to function as a monitor for the TV camera. There were optical view-finder solutions available for the RCA SSTV camera, but I am unsure whether the astronauts used it or not. It was probably less time consuming to point and shoot and let MOCR tell them how it looked.. Stan Lebar was telling me how they were looking for options for the sequential colour Westinghouse TV camera, when someone alerted them to a person in Tokyo who was specializing in making mini-monitors. Westinghouse purchased them from him and developed the unit seen in photos from the Apollo 10 and 11 missions.
General Discussion / Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Last post by molesworth on January 08, 2022, 02:05:20 PM »
My morbid thougts on this telescope have been relieved to a large part, now for the calibrating, etc.
Agreed!  After all the delays and setbacks I was expecting problems with the various mechanisms sticking.  It looks like we'll finally get a working telescope, and some incredible views of the universe.
« Last post by bknight on January 08, 2022, 10:57:18 AM »
My morbid thougts on this telescope have been relieved to a large part, now for the calibrating, etc.
« Last post by raven on January 07, 2022, 10:03:50 PM »
And now one of two wings of the primary mirror have been unfolded. Still on tenterhooks until it's all done, but here's hoping!
« Last post by bknight on January 05, 2022, 01:45:45 PM »
Secondary Mirror deployed successfully.

Slowly but surely the +/- 300 "devices" work to completely deploy the telescope.   ;D
« Last post by Bryanpoprobson on January 05, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
Secondary Mirror deployed successfully.
« Last post by bknight on January 04, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Listening live all five layers have been tensioned.  Now onto the mirrors deployment.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo LM rear panels
« Last post by JayUtah on January 04, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
Funny, I only ever thought that blister was on LM-5, but I've gone back and seen it in photographs of all the other LMs.  Scott Sullivan (Virtual LM) reproduces it in his model, but doesn't opine what it is.  The geometry has to work out, of course, but if Frank O'Brien is wrong this will be the first time.  Nobody gets a T-shirt off that guy.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo LM rear panels
« Last post by onebigmonkey on January 04, 2022, 04:42:54 AM »
Blimey it's a can of worms! A few other people have weighed in and suggested that it isn't that. One person suggests that the blister is over the bottom portion of the Rendezvous Radar Electronic Assembly - which is the furthest left (looking face on) on the equipment rack. I did some overlaying of two a couple and that process seems to confirm it, with it sitting over the bit I've circled:

That piece is kit is discussed here

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ApolloLMRadarTND6849.pdf

Whether that means it specifically connects to it is another matter! It's possible that every module was connected to it for checking purposes prior to launch and that, if it was the last panel put on, this was the most convenient place for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10