Off Topic > Tech Support

ASCII Characters

(1/11) > >>

Bob B.:
Since many scientific variables are represented by Greek letters, I've often tried to use ASCII codes to display these when posting to the forum.  I'm almost certain that at one time this worked, but lately no.  (Perhaps the last software update disabled something.)  Doubly frustrating is that often the characters seem to display OK in a preview, but when I post, they're replaced by a ? symbol.  Do you know of anyway to use or allow special characters?

(edit)  Oops!  I actually meant to post this in The Space Race Forum but the same question might apply here because I believe we're using the same software.

Bob B.:
The following is a test

∞ ÷ Δ ω

(edit)  OK, nevermind.  It looks like all the characters displayed correctly.  The problem I'm having at The Space Race forum is apparently not happening here.  That's odd because I believe Lunar Orbit is using the same software at both forums.

LunarOrbit:
Hmmm. Yeah, it's the same software. I'll have to look into it when I get home.

Not Myself:

--- Quote from: Bob B. on January 16, 2013, 08:54:58 AM ---I've often tried to use ASCII codes to display these when posting to the forum.
--- End quote ---

May I ask what exactly this method is?  Did you enter some kind of code for characters in the 128-255 range?  Is that the way you entered the characters in the later post, or was that a cut-and-paste job?

grmcdorman:
By the way, just to be pedantic: those characters aren't ASCII. ASCII is only the first 96 characters (ordinals 32 through 127, basically the characters on a US keyboard: letters, digits, and punctuation). Characters above 128 vary; the three most common 8-bit character sets are ISO LATIN-1 (ISO-8859-1), the Windows character set (Windows-1252), and UTF-8. Given that Bob B. is trying to enter Greek characters, he probably expects Latin 1 or UTF-8.

My Web developer tools in Firefox report this site as UTF-8, by the way.

/pedant

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version