Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 461206 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #975 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
Oh, Neil.  All that effort I put into explaining why each piece of evidence stands on its own merits and can't be handwaved away, and now, you're handwaving away anyone who isn't an American.  Charming.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #976 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »
Pressure at Low Earth Orbit is high vacuum at about 1x10-6 Torr.

Why do you think a pressure that low is necessary to test a sublimator?  Pressure just needs to be below the triple point for sublimation to occur.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #977 on: September 04, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
Who else but Americans matter?
Everyone else. Americans represent 5% of humanity, are an abject minority and have to rent seats on Russian spacecraft just to put men in orbit. This is not a slur on Americans, though. It is a slur on Luddites like yourself who do everything in their power to drag all of America down to your level of ignorance.

Yes, and I wish they would identify themselves so I can ignore them. Which American CIA controlled country are you from?
Lovely. Everyone in the other 95% of the world is thought controlled by the CIA. You will shortly be presenting evidence for this, no?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #978 on: September 04, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
You do realise that contributors to this forum come from all parts of the world, don't you?
Yes, and I wish they would identify themselves so I can ignore them. Which American CIA controlled country are you from?

I'm from Oompa loompa. I was driven from my home by the Wangdoodles during the Great Loompa War. The CIA covertly armed the Wangdoodles with potato guns. I saw my family sprayed with potato bullets during a raid by Wangdoodle rebels. I sought asylum in Never Never Land and joined Peter Pan's gang. Does this citizenship preclude me from you stonewalling me? And there were you complaining about being ignored.

Now, I'm still unsure why the fearless sublimator needs testing to ensure it will cool an astronaut. Care to explain.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #979 on: September 04, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »

"Neil - At what point does the accumulation of evidence become the proof?"

For I can cite reams of evidence which I, and I'm sure many here, will accept as a proof. But you 'probably' won't. 'Probably' because you don't want to confront the possibility that you're barking up the wrong tree, and 'probably' because you won't be able to associate Apollo with (and at this point you'll have to all forgive my European approach) 11/9 any more ....

Accumulation of evidence is never a substitute for proof.
Proof can render worthless even the biggest mountain of evidence.
The dispute here is that I say there's a demonstration that can be performed to PROVE whether or not Apollo was a hoax.
It focuses on the evidence of an anomaly indicated by a conspicuous absence of information about spacesuits with ice sublimators.
Rather than a support for the Scientific Method, I've gotten beaucoup unexepected arguments ranging from morality to trumped up costs to, the worst, it's already been proven--plenty of video shows the suits operating in the environment they were designed for. Duh.

Galileo begged his inquisitors to peer through his telescope to KNOW the truth.
I'm no Galileo but I'm saying let's have NASA demonstrate the spacesuits with sublimators in a high vacuum chamber on Earth duplicating environmental conditions of orbit so we too can KNOW the TRUTH rather than having to believe a faith-based space program.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #980 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Looks like a meltdown is in the making.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #981 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
To invoke the Gallileo defence, you have to be right, you know.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #982 on: September 04, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »

Who else but Americans matter?
I am an American but this comment is so arrogant, it goes beyond belief.

No have such a narrow focus on life in general.  The world does not revolve around the US.  Open up to the accomplishments of the rest of the world.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #983 on: September 04, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
I'm no Galileo....

Finally, something we can both agree on. So, you've now invoked the Galileo complex. Brilliant.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #984 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Galileo wasn't American, either...
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #985 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
Accumulation of evidence is never a substitute for proof.

proof

/pro͞of/

noun

noun: proof; plural noun: proofs

1.   evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

Proof is evidence.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #986 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »

Why do you think a pressure that low is necessary to test a sublimator?  Pressure just needs to be below the triple point for sublimation to occur.

If they were testing sublimators, they would want to test them at the parameters they were expected to operate in orbit.
So a sublimator might work at low vacuum and let's say you tested it at low vacuum to save money. When you got to orbit and exposed the sublimator to high vacuum something bad happened to cause the sublmator to fail in some catastrophic fashion that cascaded into failure of other systems and before you knew it the astronaut was dead and his buddy that tried to save him also had his equipment damaged in the process and he too died.
Best to test it where you expect it will be operated to minimize the possibility of any surprises later on.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #987 on: September 04, 2015, 12:34:18 PM »
So when is a vacuum good enough?

Chamber B. You don't even know what that is, do you?

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #988 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
"Something bad happened"

You've already had it explained that sublimator failure is not catastrophic.  How exactly would there be a "cascaded failures" of "other systems" (which?) leading to death?!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:46:41 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #989 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
Proof is evidence.

But is evidence proof?
Never.