Author Topic: Pluto conspiracy  (Read 35747 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Pluto conspiracy
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
It begins apparently. http://www.examiner.com/article/pluto-truthers-are-pretty-sure-that-the-nasa-new-horizons-mission-was-faked

Any other reports?

It seems to be a given that whatever space achievement happens these days some kook will deny it.  Chinese space walks, lunar rovers, Mars missions, Pluto flyby....

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Pluto conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:04 AM »
Our pal Hunchbacked has jumped on the bandwagon, complaining that even Jarrah has fallen for NASA's hoax. But hunchie is much more sophisticated, and not as easily fooled.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:08:38 AM »
Thread running on the lizard lovers web site. The stupid is strong there.

Sorry, AC/DC just on the radio, air guitars across the room....

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
Our pal Hunchbacked has jumped on the bandwagon, complaining that even Jarrah has fallen for NASA's hoax. But hunchie is much more sophisticated, and not as easily fooled.

Yes, JW has a video proclaiming to the world that he's been waiting to see such pictures since he was a small child. The comments section is full of people telling him that he has fallen for a NASA hoax and the pictures are some form of CGI. Surely JW must now realise the blind faith of the people that follow his channel.

Interestingly, JW also states that he prefers to call Pluto a planet as 'dwarf planet' is a contradiction in terms, and the heart looks more like a butterfly or bird spreading its wings. I guess he still thinks his opinion is more important than any of the people that have invested their time in the New Horizons project.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »
"Dwarf planet" is a contradiction in terms? No, it's whatever it's defined to be. And the IAU created the official definition.

As Neil Degrasse Tyson says, "Get over it".

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
"Dwarf planet" is a contradiction in terms? No, it's whatever it's defined to be. And the IAU created the official definition.

Exactly. The defintion by the IAU was put forward to allow objects beyond Neptune to be classed into the category of dwarf planet. Sadly for Pluto it too fell into the definition of a dwarf planet.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
Add our friend Adrian to the list of New Horizon deniers too.. (infowars and possibly his own site, but I won't endorse it with a visit).
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
 :o
Do any of them give their theory as to why in the world NASA even WOULD fake New Horizons? I mean, people can at least come up with a vaguely plausible reason to fake the moon landings, what with the political agenda of the space race with Russia. But...a fake project that's been ongoing for 9 years just to pretend to send us some pictures of a far-off planet? What in the world would that accomplish as a fake?
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Do any of them give their theory as to why in the world NASA even WOULD fake New Horizons? I mean, people can at least come up with a vaguely plausible reason to fake the moon landings, what with the political agenda of the space race with Russia. But...a fake project that's been ongoing for 9 years just to pretend to send us some pictures of a far-off planet? What in the world would that accomplish as a fake?

I think it's kind of self-perpetuating now. They have to keep claiming it's fake because otherwise all the reasons they gave for the Moon landings being fake (rockets don't work in space, the Van Allen Belt is impenetrable etc) would unravel.

" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
I think it's kind of self-perpetuating now. They have to keep claiming it's fake because otherwise all the reasons they gave for the Moon landings being fake (rockets don't work in space, the Van Allen Belt is impenetrable etc) would unravel.

But they are conspiratorially aware. We are not  ;)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

But I live in Illinois and Illinois state law forbids me from getting over it:

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of SR0046
5          RESOLVED, BY THE SENATE OF THE NINETY-SIXTH GENERAL
6       ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, that as Pluto passes
7       overhead through Illinois' night skies, that it be
8       reestablished with full planetary status, and that March 13,
9       2009 be declared "Pluto Day" in the State of Illinois in honor
10       of the date its discovery was announced in 1930.

But there is a loophole: we're too far north for Pluto to ever pass overhead.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 04:58:01 AM »

I expect to see it. But the level of self belief and the reliance of "does not look right" is astounding. That appears to be the sole basis. So what have I observed on the Icke forum? "Does not look right" and "because NASA" all within the bounds of self belief with some other outstanding observations to back it up. No stars for example...... it is interesting in a way.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:29 AM »
5              RESOLVED, BY THE SENATE OF THE NINETY-SIXTH GENERAL
6       ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, that as Pluto passes
7       overhead through Illinois' night skies, that it be
8       reestablished with full planetary status, and that March 13,
9       2009 be declared "Pluto Day" in the State of Illinois in honor
10       of the date its discovery was announced in 1930.

This is why I get frustrated with lawmakers and such like, and their ability to spend time debating such matters.

But there is a loophole: we're too far north for Pluto to ever pass overhead.

Good spot :)

Offline striv

• Mercury

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »

Alan Stern disagrees with Tyson.  So do I.  As Pluto would say, Tyson is no Carl Sagan.

The IAU decision was a farce with risible justification.  A "dwarf" planet is still a planet. Just as a "giant" planet is still a planet. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:47:12 AM by Dalhousie »