Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478855 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #405 on: January 28, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
I love his "subtle" comments about "Oh, there was a poster who made some impressive points - I can't quite remember where I saw them though - anyone remember who that was?"

Yeah the fawning over his previous socks is just tremendously amusing.  Does he really think that's not a dead giveaway?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #406 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
Commenting in their "relative parallax" thread, so as to build "credibility" for a future "I can use a sextant" claim?

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
What became of that sock who was a high-school dropout and barely literate, but could really use that sextant, dude!

Maybe he grew up, became a proctologist and married a nice girl from Beijing...

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #408 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
I'm still scratching my head over a guy who... well, I guess I'll call him a fellow traveler, as he was an anti-hoaxnut type, but just as ill-informed in his own way...

Some HB was blathering on about 'why don't they just turn the Hubble and photograph the Apollo landing sites if they're really there?' - I pointed out the resolution of the HST and (tried to) explain why it wouldn't show up anything as small as a LM descent stage.

This guy jumped in to say that that was nonsense, that anyone could see the artifacts at the landing sites through a "3-D Telescope" like the one he bought at the local camera store... he had looked at them many times.

???
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #409 on: January 28, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
I'm still scratching my head over a guy who... well, I guess I'll call him a fellow traveler, as he was an anti-hoaxnut type, but just as ill-informed in his own way...

Some HB was blathering on about 'why don't they just turn the Hubble and photograph the Apollo landing sites if they're really there?' - I pointed out the resolution of the HST and (tried to) explain why it wouldn't show up anything as small as a LM descent stage.

This guy jumped in to say that that was nonsense, that anyone could see the artifacts at the landing sites through a "3-D Telescope" like the one he bought at the local camera store... he had looked at them many times.

???

That reminds me of a HB that I know. He was looking at my Celestron C11 and he wanted to know if the Apollo sites could be seen. After a couple of minutes talking about the Dawes limit, resolution and the fact that you'd need a mirror a couple of miles wide he then declared that the fact that we couldn't see the Apollo sites as proof of the hoax. After all, if a spy satellite can read a number plate why cant Hubble see the landing sites???

Some people just want to believe the hoax too much. It's like arguing religion with a Bible basher. They want and need to believe and will countenance nothing to the contrary. Just look at the mental contortions that some past theologians (and some of the brightest people in history) went to to reconcile the idea of god, virgin births and so on. They drove themselves mad trying to get it all to fit together.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #410 on: January 28, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
What we say: *evidence* *physics* *details*

What the HB hears: *trombone sounds from Peanuts cartoons*

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Or there's that Gerry Larsen cartoon; "Bowser blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah Bowser blah blah! Blah Bowser, blah blah, blah blah!"

Kinda goes in the same "NASA can do anything (but land on the Moon)" when they won't accept that a spacecraft could make it to the Moon, but totally believe that there is a forest full of high-tech reconnaissance satellites up there able to read the newspaper over their shoulders.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #412 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
if a spy satellite can read a number plate
I always wonder why people use Hollywood flicks for their tech references rather than actual tech references.

I'm sure the NRO is happy about it though. This might actually be a real life example of a deliberately spread disinfo meme.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #413 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »
All Tekeli's old arguments are slowly being reintroduced.  It's almost like watching a car crash in slow motion.  He has raised the political pacifism point again.  He has also alluded to his anonymous insider.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #414 on: January 29, 2013, 01:16:31 AM »
He certainly made his saving throw vs. sarcasm.

I'm afraid this go-round will be the one that finally gets me banned at Cosmo Quest.  That's okay, tho...when the moderation is so stringent I actually avoid posting on most threads...

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #415 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:31 AM »
He certainly made his saving throw vs. sarcasm.

I'm afraid this go-round will be the one that finally gets me banned at Cosmo Quest.  That's okay, tho...when the moderation is so stringent I actually avoid posting on most threads...
At this point, one can be infracted for a noisome fart. I have no idea how they mods there detect it, but they do.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »
CQ's a bit frustrating.  I was just curious about "snookie's" posts, so I clicked on his name on the above thread and I was taken to the "You must register first" screen.  I suppose there's a good reason for that, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Yes, I know it's not a big deal to register, but I'm trying to keep on a diet, so to speak.  It takes enough time to read stuff, let alone respond, which I'd be tempted to do.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #417 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I've tried to register at BAUT, before it became CQ, and it always glitched out on me, so I've always been unable to see all that good stuff behind "you must register first".  :'(

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #418 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
CQ's a bit frustrating.  I was just curious about "snookie's" posts, so I clicked on his name on the above thread and I was taken to the "You must register first" screen.  I suppose there's a good reason for that, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Have you tried doing the same thing on this forum while not logged in? :D

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #419 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
Now Tekeli is chomping at the bit to introduce his "militarized Apollo" theory.  We'll see if that doesn't give him away to the CQ mods.