Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399628 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #600 on: October 10, 2019, 06:39:24 PM »
Trump is now on record as defending a diplomat's wife who fled the UK after killing a British Citizen when she drove on the wrong side of the road. He's also abandoned former allies, the Kurds, who fought against ISIS.

Copied from Steve Hedley:

I would like to congratulate President Trump in reaching a new previously undreamed of plateau of ridiculousness and inanity. His justification for abandoning the Kurds “because they didn’t fight with us in Normandy” (world war 2), not only sums up his own imbecility perfectly but also exposes beyond repair the rapacious capitalist imperialism that he represents. Unlike Obama who attempted to put glitter on the turd that is capitalism, Trump is its unvarnished embodiment discarding previous allies as dispensable unashamedly in public and orchestrating their massacre. Obama gave liberals an excuse to see something progressive in the USA, Trump has destroyed any such illusions.

Unsurprising from someone who thinks there were airports during the American Revolutionary War!

Trump is utterly clueless about international politics. Any grade school history student could have predicted what would happen once American troops pulled out of Northern Syria. There is now going to a period of genocide and ethnic cleansing against the Kurds that will make what the Serbs did in Bosnia look like a summer picnic...and Trump will be directly responsible for it.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #601 on: October 11, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »
Trump is now on record as defending a diplomat's wife who fled the UK after killing a British Citizen when she drove on the wrong side of the road. He's also abandoned former allies, the Kurds, who fought against ISIS.

Copied from Steve Hedley:

I would like to congratulate President Trump in reaching a new previously undreamed of plateau of ridiculousness and inanity. His justification for abandoning the Kurds “because they didn’t fight with us in Normandy” (world war 2), not only sums up his own imbecility perfectly but also exposes beyond repair the rapacious capitalist imperialism that he represents. Unlike Obama who attempted to put glitter on the turd that is capitalism, Trump is its unvarnished embodiment discarding previous allies as dispensable unashamedly in public and orchestrating their massacre. Obama gave liberals an excuse to see something progressive in the USA, Trump has destroyed any such illusions.

There is a growing "eat the rich" sentiment in the US, which the national media is desperately trying to pretend isn't there or is only on the fringes.  I've been wanting to scream at everyone bitching about "wealth redistribution" or "class warfare" that wealth redistribution and class warfare have been ongoing for decades now - wealth is being redistributed into the hands of the wealthy few, and the rich have been beating up on the poor.  Every year it gets less subtle and more overt, and now they're starting to say the quiet parts out loud.  We're getting damned close to pitchforks and torches time. 

Trump himself is an Adderall-addled Tony Soprano wannabe, up to his eyeballs in debt to the Russians, aided and abetted by the larger GOP.  I've been seeing claims (unsubstantiated so far, but if true would explain so much) that the Russians have been laundering money through US congressional campaigns. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #602 on: October 11, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
But surely there must be some policies of his we agree with, right?  Like, uh . . . .
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #603 on: October 11, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
As a Canadian, I find it very reassuring that our alliance with the USA can instantly disappear if our enemy has more Trump properties than we do. [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #604 on: October 11, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
I couldn’t resist.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #605 on: October 11, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
He hasn't started a war (yet).

Well, he has just invited attacks on the US from disaffected Kurds et al.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #606 on: October 11, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
Remember when Trump 'proudly' held a LGBTQ+ pride flag? Yeah, to almost no ones  surprise, the Trump administration sent a amicus curiae in support of discrimination in the case before the US supreme court of whether the Civil Rights act applies to trans* and homosexual folk. I wonder how those gay Republicans who came out in support of Trump feel about that.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #607 on: January 03, 2020, 05:06:40 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50979463

Wow, this could cause a serious escalation in the region and encourage a new wave of terrorism.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #608 on: January 03, 2020, 05:53:51 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50979463

Wow, this could cause a serious escalation in the region and encourage a new wave of terrorism.

Indeed. I am particularly wary that Hizbollah in Lebanon will  do some retaliation acts,which can reflect back on us. A pretty bad start for the year!
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #609 on: January 03, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »
Hey, everyone, remember how Hillary Clinton was a hawk who'd get us into wars?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #610 on: January 03, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #611 on: January 03, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »

I bet those aren't the sons of Donald Trump or his donors.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2020, 03:53:03 AM »
Just want to point out that despite having only bothered to read the first couple of pages of posts written in this discussion topic, I find it appalling to find so many, who supposedly promote critical thinking, facts, truth, and accountability, getting emotionally invested and forgetting everything they have chastised the conspiracy theorists about. 

First of all, I want you to know that I do not like Trump as our President, particularly regarding his disregard of competent science, and did not vote for him, but I also did not vote Democratic, as they are just as flawed in their own fashion.  However, during the course of his presidency I have noted a constant concerted effort to find flaws in everything he does, manufacture them where they don't exist, shout it all out to the world, and, if not outright defiant in the face of facts, remain utterly silent when such claims come up empty or are proven false.  That said, I won't defend his many faults, but I still feel it is important to maintain the standards we want in our Apollo discussions, by NOT using out-of-context evidence, false narratives and hearsay in lieu of facts and reason.

So, to provide an example of what I am talking about, I want to ask Lunar Orbiter a question (or two) regarding his very FIRST post in this topic of discussion.

Lunar Orbiter, You stated:

(quote) Trump's behaviour is not an act, and he has shown that those "checks and balances" are working for him, not for the American public.

An independent ethics body has been gutted by Republicans, without debate or warning. This is not something you would do if your goal was to "drain the swamp", it's something you would do if you wanted to do unethical things without consequences. (unquote)

As previously mentioned, I have not read through the bulk of the posts, but I ask you - do you still stand by that post?  And if not, have you retracted it anywhere?
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Lunar Orbiter, You stated:

Trump's behaviour is not an act, and he has shown that those "checks and balances" are working for him, not for the American public.

An independent ethics body has been gutted by Republicans, without debate or warning. This is not something you would do if your goal was to "drain the swamp", it's something you would do if you wanted to do unethical things without consequences.

As previously mentioned, I have not read through the bulk of the posts, but I ask you - do you still stand by that post?  And if not, have you retracted it anywhere?

I stand by what I said 100%. Why would I retract it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/03/outcry-after-republicans-vote-to-dismantle-independent-ethics-body

He has ignored Congressional subpoenas, called the House's constitutional power of impeachment unconstitutional, and the Republicans in the House and Senate have made it clear that the "checks and balances" are failing.

And now Trump is in the process of starting a war with Iran without Congressional approval.

So where am I wrong?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »

However, during the course of his presidency I have noted a constant concerted effort to find flaws in everything he does, manufacture them where they don't exist...

Please give an example of "manufactured flaws".