Author Topic: Why are there no stars seen on the pictures of the moon?  (Read 44239 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Why are there no stars seen on the pictures of the moon?
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
What was the f-stop and sensor speed?

f5.6 and ISO100
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
I made this sequence of images of the moon in answer the same question, in order to show the difference in exposure time needed :

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
What about, say, http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a11/AS11-36-5311.jpg

:-)

<tinfoil hat>
How do you know those specks aren't debris from the SIV-B?
</tinfoil hat>
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
I made this sequence of images of the moon in answer the same question, in order to show the difference in exposure time needed :

That is brilliant!
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
Can't say much for your tripod. ;^p

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »

Tripod? I just stood very still
Holding a heavy camera steady for a several second exposure is rather hard.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Why are there no stars seen on the pictures of the moon?
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 02:26:55 AM »

Tripod? I just stood very still
Holding a heavy camera steady for a several second exposure is rather hard.

Sorry. I'm a knob sometimes.

Offline Commander Cody

• Mercury
  • This sign up is for my assement in collegescience.
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
Ok sorry for annoying you ChrLz I did not mean to.  :'( I am actually 13 so give me a little space for my spelling error. I am actually really good at spelling (two years ahead) but I could not fit an extra s in because there was not enough space to do so. But with the word astronaut that was an error because I did not know how to spell it. I have researched other websites so I am more informed on the subject. I will not ask any more questions unless completely necessary.

By the way I am not lying and I actually believe that we did land on the moon so I got nothing against you. Sorry for the unintentional inconvenience it will not occur again. ;D
Commander Cody.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 01:34:54 AM »
Just as a trial, I looked for stars tonight while at the Paul McCartney concert.  It was in the downtown baseball park with the roof open and the night was clear and the air was relatively dry, for Houston.  We were sitting pretty far away and higher than the light bars on the stage.  With the house light on, not a star could be seen.  When the lights dimmed for the start of the show, two stars became visible in the west.  That was the best view of the night.  About half the time the stage lights were so bright, I lost those two stars. At some point they set, and the sky was completely starless thereafter. 

BTW McCartney still rocks.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Commander Cody

• Mercury
  • This sign up is for my assement in collegescience.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
Yeah their are also less stars from the naked eye on earth as the pollution and light fogs it up. If you go to a farm with only a family living there you can be absolutely spectacular sights!
Commander Cody.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:27 AM »
Ok sorry for annoying you ChrLz I did not mean to.
You didn't annoy me, CC.  It takes a whole lot more than that - I was just digging a little to ensure you weren't another incarnation of our most frequent troll..  I hope there are no hard feelings.

I am actually 13 so give me a little space for my spelling error.
No problem!

I am actually really good at spelling (two years ahead) but I could not fit an extra s in because there was not enough space to do so.
May I suggest you could have dropped the "This sign up is .." and the college bit?  Just "For my Assessment in Science" would have worked nicely..  I'm still interested in your assessment - why not tell us a bit more about it?

But with the word astronaut that was an error because I did not know how to spell it.
Unfortunately that particular misspelling (or one very like it) is often used by trolls to insult astronauts, so you can probably see why I was suspicious..

I have researched other websites so I am more informed on the subject. I will not ask any more questions unless completely necessary.
That's great to hear - but don't hesitate to to ask questions if you are finding something difficult to understand.

The most important thing of all is to realise that the lunar environment that the astronauts were in was VERY, VERY different to Earth, and some things that you might think are either strange or indicators of fakery, are in fact the result of the nature of that environment.

In the case of this visibility of stars issue.. earlier i asked you to think about why you can't see stars in daytime on earth.  That question is absolutely key to understanding what is going on.  You may also wish to investigate things like the camera exposures required to image stars, and compare them to the camera settings required for daylit scenery (which is what were used for the majority of the Apollo images - it's all documented).

After you've done all that, you may begin to wonder (correctly) how anyone could seriously put up websites claiming that the lack of visible stars in Apollo images is a pointer to fakery.  It is in fact just a pointer to complete ignorance - indeed the nature of those images (in this and many other aspects) proves that they were taken in an airless, fully sunlit, 1/6G environment.  AKA the Moon.

By the way I am not lying and I actually believe that we did land on the moon so I got nothing against you. Sorry for the unintentional inconvenience it will not occur again.
Like I said, please don't be put off posting here - if you come with an open mind and a willingness to learn, there are many very highly educated and experienced folks who can help you sort it all out.  And then there's me.. :D

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Ok sorry for annoying you ChrLz I did not mean to.  :'( I am actually 13 so give me a little space for my spelling error.

Cody, don't worry about it. If you feel you've had a harsh response to your questions here, then we apologise for it, but we have had any number of hoax believers come on and start just as you did: by firing endless questions at us. Initially they claim to be just asking, but they soon turn out to have an agenda and rapidly turn hostile, and it becomes clear that they throw out question after question after question so that they can avoid being pinned down in an actual discussion. Our most recent example immediately diverted from discussion of the issues to complaining about how he was treated as he provoked us more and more while avoiding actually discussing Apollo.

Everyone here would love to discuss Apollo. Everyone here would be more than happy to help people understand it better. Everyone here will gladly answer questions on the subject. When we get annoyed is when people don't take the answers in or engage in the discussion.

What is really sad here, and no relfection on you whatsoever, is that it is really hard to tell the difference between the writing style of a teenager asking questions out of curiosity and an adult hoax believer!

I have researched other websites so I am more informed on the subject. I will not ask any more questions unless completely necessary.

Good work. You are welcome to ask questions here if there are things you need help with. As I said, we'll gladly answer. Unfortunately, alarm bells start ringing for us when a whole load of questions appear, especially with time in between them and not much indication of acknowledgement of the answers already given.

So ask away. You'll find a lot of enthusiatic people willing to discuss the subject here.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Yeah [there] are also less stars from the naked eye on earth as the pollution and light fogs it up. If you go to a farm with only a family living there you can be absolutely spectacular sights!

Not, generally, during the day.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:23:25 PM by pzkpfw »