Author Topic: "Tower" in background of Apollo 11 (?) footage  (Read 13435 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: "Tower" in background of Apollo 11 (?) footage
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
Here's a stitched panorama showing the SWC in the deployed location (A14-66-9302 to 9309).

In the film, only the portion sticking above the distant horizon is actually visible, as the lower part is hidden by the bright lunar surface. It makes quite a convincing illusion of being distant even though it is only a few metres beyond the LM shadow.

Mystery solved  :D

(If you're wondering how the SWC can appear in the background of Mitchell coming down the ladder during the first EVA, when it was Mitchell who deployed it on the surface, it's because Mitchell went back inside to change the comms switch after deploying the high-gain antenna (and SWC). The film shows him coming out for the second time.)
Distances can be deceiving when viewing objects on the moon as the SWC was not far from the LM
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 10:36:56 PM »
They certainly can. Just look at the famous 'house rock' from Apollo 16. Even the astronauts were having trouble, and they had a binocular view.

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 10:36:22 AM »
This video shows the whole sequence. At 16:25 you can see there is no object there, and Mitchell walks over and starts setting up the SWC. He gets it out and plants it between about 17:40 and 18:00. Then he climbs back up into the LM at 27:45 and re-emerges at 39:30 (after the cut).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
This video shows the whole sequence. At 16:25 you can see there is no object there, and Mitchell walks over and starts setting up the SWC. He gets it out and plants it between about 17:40 and 18:00. Then he climbs back up into the LM at 27:45 and re-emerges at 39:30 (after the cut).

Did you post this link and your comments on the YT channel?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »

Yes.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »

Yes.
Now we're talking.  I'll drop over and have a look at the comments to yours.!
Eugene Cernan