Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Chandrayaan-2 views Apollo

(1/5) > >>

onebigmonkey:
India's release of Chandrayaan-2's data has been frustratingly slow, with annoyance at the ever-increasing delays compounded by a really naff website that can take days to download images that fail repeatedly and don't allow resuming. Most of the Apollo coverage misses the landing sites, but a closer look at Apollo 14's location showed that the calibrated images did catch it. Here's the view in the calibrated fore and aft images of Antares, complete with astronaut trails:

I'm checking pretty much daily to see if any more have been released, but so far the only other coverage of interest is a small part of Hadley Rille photographed and filmed during Apollo 15, and areas covered during the return to orbit from Apollo 14 and 15. Apollo 17's SIV-B impact crater is on one of the images, as is Luna 21 (Lunokhod-2's launch vehicle).

bknight:

--- Quote from: onebigmonkey on March 30, 2021, 03:47:22 PM ---India's release of Chandrayaan-2's data has been frustratingly slow, with annoyance at the ever-increasing delays compounded by a really naff website that can take days to download images that fail repeatedly and don't allow resuming. Most of the Apollo coverage misses the landing sites, but a closer look at Apollo 14's location showed that the calibrated images did catch it. Here's the view in the calibrated fore and aft images of Antares, complete with astronaut trails:

I'm checking pretty much daily to see if any more have been released, but so far the only other coverage of interest is a small part of Hadley Rille photographed and filmed during Apollo 15, and areas covered during the return to orbit from Apollo 14 and 15. Apollo 17's SIV-B impact crater is on one of the images, as is Luna 21 (Lunokhod-2's launch vehicle).

--- End quote ---
I'm viewing this on a cell phone, bug is the descent stage NE of bright crater?

onebigmonkey:
Yes - if you draw a line from the centre to the top right corner it's  about half way.

BertieSlack:
The initial data release from ISRO in December was better quality than these. I was hoping for better resolution than LRO, but this doesn't look like it.

onebigmonkey:

--- Quote from: BertieSlack on March 31, 2021, 03:21:47 AM ---The initial data release from ISRO in December was better quality than these. I was hoping for better resolution than LRO, but this doesn't look like it.

--- End quote ---

This is from the initial release, but what I've mostly been looking at was the orthographic/DEM pairs, which is just the nadir image (but could be combining all sources into a derived composite). The derived orthographic just missed the edge of the Apollo 14 site, so I figured maybe the aft/fore view might just overlook it. I was right :)

To be fair to the TMC, it is viewing the ground from roughly double the height of the LRO shots of Apollo, but yes, it's disappointing. The resolution offered by the OHRC is superb, but I think they're focussing the targets for that on polar regions.

What's annoying me more at the moment is that ISRO have got the wherewithal to get a very good camera to orbit the moon, but can't hire a decent web designer or keep a server connection alive for more than 10 minutes.

The inability to do a proper spatial search is hugely irritating, but I've managed to work out how to get Google Earth's moon view to import the derived geotiffs and thus show the spatial extent of what they've released. That was fine for latitudes up to 180 degrees, but as they use a coordinate system that is 0-360 degrees, not -180/+180 either side of the meridian Google Earth threw an error for half of them. Luckily I have access to ArcGIS on a work laptop, which exported the images as kmz files with corrected longitudes that GE could deal with!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version