Author Topic: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?  (Read 224903 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?
« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2015, 01:56:32 AM »
Sarah Palin suffers from verbal incontinence, I don't think she is as stupid as she looks she just isn't very articulate and she tends to try to use her supporter's fears to gain brownie points.
Another adjective probably describes her best. It's a word I first heard used not long before, in connection with George W. Bush:
incurious:  adjective
1. not curious; not inquisitive or observant; inattentive; indifferent.
2. Archaic. lacking care or attention; careless; negligent.
It really does describe them both. Regardless of their ability to learn (i.e., native intelligence) neither one seems particularly interested in learning anything. And I've learned that motivation often counts for considerably more than ability.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #466 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:22 AM »
I would say it very much is.  Part of what makes a great teacher is the ability to build enthusiasm, to encourage the desire to learn. Without it, aptitude counts for crap. It's like a stone wall around one's mind.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #467 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
I would say it very much is.  Part of what makes a great teacher is the ability to build enthusiasm, to encourage the desire to learn. Without it, aptitude counts for crap. It's like a stone wall around one's mind.

Indeed.  It takes a lot to get an engineering student interested in politics.  This is the guy who did it for me.  He was a professor of political science at Univ. of Michigan at the time.  He was able to line up guest speakers such as John Anderson (for non-Americans:  independent presidential candidate in 1980) and sitting senators and judges.  He also made us actually want to read the Federalist Papers (for non-Americans:  a series of essays on government and politics written in the late 1700s under a pseudonym by a handful of the people who wrote the U.S. Constitution).
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #468 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
I think she was unqualified for the office she sought
For better or worse the hurdles for becoming vice president are being 35+ years of age, a 14 year resident of the U.S., "native born," not being from the same state as the presidential candidate and getting the majority vote of the Electoral College.   By that standard, she was completely qualified but unsuccessful in the last part.

and was in way over her head,
No doubt about that.  She was probably just treading water in Alaska, the minute the currents of fortune took her from those shores, she went under.  But hey, she got a reality show out of it.  ???
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #469 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
By that standard, she was completely qualified but unsuccessful in the last part.

I'd argue she was eligible, but not qualified.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
Look, if you present me with a conspiracist who can't name what book or newspaper they've read lately and then refers to it as a trick question, I'll totally grant you that the conspiracist in question is dumb.

Not Sarah Palin's finest moment, but you mischaracterize the situation.  Palin chose not to answer and she didn't refer to it as a trick question. She said she was annoyed by it, along with other questions, and wanted to move on to other topics that she thought were more important.  Don't forgot also that at this time she was under relentless attack by the liberal media, so she was afraid that whatever she might say would be turned into a negative and used to criticize her.  She therefore chose to answer in a nonspecific way hoping that Katie Couric would just move on to the next question.  If anything, Palin was guilty of over thinking the situation and, in retrospect, should have just answered the question.  A gaffe no doubt, but not proof positive of lack of intelligence.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Heh.  Yeah.  "Liberal media."  You do realize that studies consistently show that Republican candidates get more favourable and neutral stories written about them and fewer negative ones, right?  I'm sure she doesn't realize that, because she's in a Fox News vacuum, but if the media were really all that liberal, they wouldn't have taken Bush administration stories about Iraq at face value, now, would they?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Let's end the political discussion, please. It's off topic in this thread.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
By that standard, she was completely qualified but unsuccessful in the last part.

I'd argue she was eligible, but not qualified.
A fine distinction.   The sources I've read have used both words.  Eligible though does seem better when satisfying the Constitution's requirements.  So Bob, I'm with you now in saying Palin is not qualified.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »

Thanks.

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »
With all of the "brilliant minds" around here I am not surprised not a one of you could really actually figure out what Sarah Palin's appeal actually is. Dumb men like a dumb broads with a nice rack.

If you look at most Presidential elections it is usually the more physically attractive of the two that wins because this is how simple minded humans actually are. Nixon didn't have a chance running against Kennedy, the women swooned over him.

As for Sarah Palin, men wouldn't vote for her if she was running for President, but she wouldn't make a bad choice for a Republican vice President. Women like the idea of a woman candidate , especially the feminazi crowd, so that would pull some Demoncrapic women over from the other side of the aisle. You have to admit, she's a lot better to look at (and think about) than Hillary Clinton.   
Sarah Palin is dumber than a box of NASA's moonrocks, but in the end does it really matter? Does a vice President actually make any decisions? Does a President?

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »
He is a profoundly alienated guy who lives out of his rich and idiosyncratic inner life and is deeply frustrated that others can't understand his flawed constructs developed through mere glimpses and glances of the real world.  Or to put it another way, he is one of Samuel Becket's characters trying to live in a Marcel Proust novel.

Don't quit your day job.

One thing that really stands out to most normal people about individuals who try to psychoanalyze other people who disagree with them is that more often than not they're actually describing themselves, they're more often than not projecting their own feelings of inadequacy and alienation.

My history is of leading ,not following. Almost without exception, my positions on such things as Apollo and the 911 false flag start out being marginal, and as time goes on it changes to mainstream belief.

My goal in debunking the NASA moon landing hoax is to remove a cornerstone element of a fabricated reality, a fabrication I feel is detrimental to the interests of the human race..

I have no problem admitting feeling alienated in a restrained and regulated  intellectual environment like this forum that is geared towards staying within certain boundaries in order to form an illusion that intelligent people do not doubt NASA's claims or integrity as a whole.

Surely you realize that is not an accurate representation. smart people are much more likely to question what they're told and with subject like Apollo they're going to go through the same stages I did..

.I think you have to do a lot of moral compromising and rationalization myself, and it undoubtedly leaves you feeling alienated and somewhat guilty.  I know that a person who knows the truth and yet prefers not acknowledge it to himself is technically mentally ill.

In the real world there are two opinions concerning Apollo: 1) I don't give a damned, I'm too busy and distracted just trying to survive; or 2) What a freaking' farce. If you had ever been a part of "the real world" you would know that.

People like you marginalize others because it's an easy way to assassinate their character and impinge upon their credibility without effort, but the problem is there are few people in the world who have not been confronted with the words "you're crazy" when they said something exposing a guilty cretin. It is a weapon nearly as effective as bludgeoning them with the blunt instrument of your stupidity....but I am wondering, do you realize just how unhealthy it is psychologically to actually believe that the belief in conspiracies is the domain of the mentally ill?      Oh, and how convenient THAT "diagnosis" is! We live in a world where 99% of the people are totally detached from any grounding in reality, a collective conscious that is manipulated for the good of a very tiny few. And it's a few none of you are part of but willingly serve anyway for what little gravy they let drip off the table onto the floor so you can lick it up. When your usefulness runs out, so will your luck. 

I have news for you, if you actually believe that the nature of human interactions and interrelations in politics, business, academics, you name it, is not on all levels  to some degree or another steeped in conspiracy, you're not only an idiot, you're nuts.

Conspiracy is simply two or more people secretly agreeing to take part in the same endeavor, usually *something that by it's nature needs to be concealed, and it is always at the expense of some other group.

I suggest if  you find yourself spending your entire life defending a hoax that has been over and done with for 46 years , a hoax that a large percentage of people now alive don't even care about and in some case don't even know about  anyway, I wouldn't condescend to cast aspersions on anyone else using some derogatory psychobabble pseudo-psychiatric "diagnosis" as a form of cheap character assassination.  .

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

With all of the "brilliant minds" around here I am not surprised not a one of you could really actually figure out what Sarah Palin's appeal actually is. Dumb men like a dumb broads with a nice rack.

If you look at most Presidential elections it is usually the more physically attractive of the two that wins because this is how simple minded humans actually are. Nixon didn't have a chance running against Kennedy, the women swooned over him.

As for Sarah Palin, men wouldn't vote for her if she was running for President, but she wouldn't make a bad choice for a Republican vice President. Women like the idea of a woman candidate , especially the feminazi crowd, so that would pull some Demoncrapic women over from the other side of the aisle. You have to admit, she's a lot better to look at (and think about) than Hillary Clinton.   
Sarah Palin is dumber than a box of NASA's moonrocks, but in the end does it really matter? Does a vice President actually make any decisions? Does a President?

You really don't know how to follow directions do you, Romulus?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »

I almost didn't approve that post. It is insulting to women (by suggesting that the only way they can accomplish something is by being physically attractive) and to men (by suggesting that we would only vote for a woman if she was attractive). I approved the post only to make it clear (if it wasn't already) what kind of small minded person Romulus is.

While physical attractiveness does play some role is a person's success, it is insulting to suggest it is the primary factor.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
I strongly protest against the use of the word "feminazi" and the numerous ad hominem attacks in Romulus' second post.

Nothing but abuse from him, I see no reason to put up with it (even for the purpose of giving him enough rope).
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.