Author Topic: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?  (Read 224916 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Provide proof of your accusation and belittlement

He already did.  Luke is a professional scientist.  He knows how scientists work and how they present arguments to each other.  When he says you're not a scientist, it's because he knows what he's talking about.

And in fact you are not a scientist.  You backpedal and call yourself a "student of science" instead, which could apply to anyone including those who merely have passing interest in scientific topics.  And you heaped enough disdain upon the notion of adjudicated training end education that it's clear you have no respect for it.  From there it's only a short walk to the notion that you have no actual training or experience in scientific practice.

This is important because those who lack that specific training and experience often misunderstand aspects of scientific methodology and how it works to create confidence in a conclusion.  They also habitually express themselves only in the buzzwords often used to refer to elements of science practice, without really understanding the more nuanced concepts that are important.

So no, we have no reason to suppose that you know what the scientific method is or how properly to employ it.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
You're really witty, aren't you?

My friends think so. Again, something we can agree on. So are you going to present your claims of fakery?

I don't believe I made any specific claim other that NASA's proponents on this forum do not abide in the scientific method to defend their claims. Since Jay admitted they do not and have no intentions of doing so, I consider it a closed case, to borrow a phrase from the legal profession.

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
Provide proof of your accusation and belittlement

He already did.  Luke is a professional scientist.  He knows how scientists work and how they present arguments to each other.  When he says you're not a scientist, it's because he knows what he's talking about.

And in fact you are not a scientist.  You backpedal and call yourself a "student of science" instead, which could apply to anyone including those who merely have passing interest in scientific topics.  And you heaped enough disdain upon the notion of adjudicated training end education that it's clear you have no respect for it.  From there it's only a short walk to the notion that you have no actual training or experience in scientific practice.

This is important because those who lack that specific training and experience often misunderstand aspects of scientific methodology and how it works to create confidence in a conclusion.  They also habitually express themselves only in the buzzwords often used to refer to elements of science practice, without really understanding the more nuanced concepts that are important.

So no, we have no reason to suppose that you know what the scientific method is or how properly to employ it.

You make several claims on your post that you cannot prove, and it is dripping with opinions and innuendos designed to diminish the credibility of your opponent. You have no idea just how little you really do know. As so often is the case, is the least intelligent among us who claim to know the most.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »
It is a statement of fact.

No, it's just an insult.  You very much want to believe that the people you might encounter in the Internet are just layman such as yourself and cannot possibly dispute you with any erudition.  You've already indicated at least twice now in what low regard you us.  Hence you have to now insinuate that someone who posts here, and studies and writes on a topic on which he is well informed, cannot possibly have any "real" professional skill or value.

You've been challenged several times to actually present the evidence you claim is so strong.  But you insist instead on playing games.

Put up or shut up.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
You have no idea just how little you really do know. As so often is the case, is the least intelligent among us who claim to know the most.

Show us your evidence, then.  Prove us all to be the ignoramuses you clearly think we are.  Put up or shut up.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
I don't believe I made any specific claim...

Exactly. Again, something we can agree on. Yet several posts ago you claim that you have studied Apollo for many years and have evidence to back up fakery, but we're four pages into this 'debate' and you are yet to present a single shred of evidence. To remind you and others:

As I have clearly stated, I am not here to prove NASA faked the moonlandings. I have accumulated an absolutely staggering amount of information on this subject and I have spent many years researching it. Much of the information came from people just like yourself, who were trying to  validate their beliefs, and I do appreciate that. Where I can, I will give you the credit you deserve..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:50:57 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
Since Jay admitted they do not and have no intentions of doing so, I consider it a closed case, to borrow a phrase from the legal profession.

So why are you still posting?  If you believe you got the "confession" you came for, why are you still here?

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
You have no idea just how little you really do know. As so often is the case, is the least intelligent among us who claim to know the most.

Show us your evidence, then.  Prove us all to be the ignoramuses you clearly think we are.  Put up or shut up.

I see where your skill lies, Mr.Windley. There can be no mistake about it. You have established rules of engagement here which you do not abide in yourself and which heavily favor you,you  claim scientific knowledge and abilities for both you an your comrades and yet refused to abide in the scientific method. How could anyone win a scientific debate with you here? This is why your forum is nothing more than a self congratulatory ****** **** with no opposition. You will not make fodder for  ridicule out of me. I see what's going on here and I understand the methods much better than you realize..

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
How could anyone win a scientific debate with you here?

By presenting their science maybe. Just a suggestion.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2015, 08:57:43 PM »
Ahem.  I told you what it would take me to reconsider Apollo.  You claimed to have it, but you will neither tell me what your evidence is nor tell me where you found the information you claim disproves it.  I can tell you, though, that we've seen attempted refutations of the Apollo evidence many times, and they're all garbage.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Romulus

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
Since Jay admitted they do not and have no intentions of doing so, I consider it a closed case, to borrow a phrase from the legal profession.

So why are you still posting?  If you believe you got the "confession" you came for, why are you still here?
I suppose I am still posting because other people are. I am satisfied that I achieved my objective and recommenced unless you have intentions of altering your position you simply close the thread to additional posting. I'm not going to respond to it any longer. If you like I will continue to author other threads proving other claims using the scientific method, but I insist on the same latitude you give yoursleves in doing so.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
Judging by the escalating rudeness and ad-hominem  attacks, I would suggest we might have just been visited by he who shall not be named!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Ahem.  I told you what it would take me to reconsider Apollo.  You claimed to have it, but you will neither tell me what your evidence is nor tell me where you found the information you claim disproves it.  I can tell you, though, that we've seen attempted refutations of the Apollo evidence many times, and they're all garbage.

An this one was particularly weak
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »
Judging by the escalating rudeness and ad-hominem  attacks, I would suggest we might have just been visited by he who shall not be named!

I don't think so. That was far too pompus to be Jarrah.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:17 PM »
I see what's going on here and I understand the methods much better than you realize.

Good for you.  Now are we ever going to see any of this allegedly spectacular evidence?