Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399178 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
Oh boo hoo. You think you got problems? At least in three years you'll be done with this. In three years, our problems will only be just beginning.

What hope for us when a country that has an unelected head of government, an unelected head of state, an unelected upper chamber, an unelected civil service*, acts like somehow we're being oppressed because we don't get to directly vote for the President of the European Council, who doesn't even have legislative or executive power. Perhaps illusion might describe the mindset.

* not that I have a problem with most of that though I'm open minded about Lords reform

Sorry. Someone was wrong on the Internet and it got me worked up. I restrain myself from participating in the places I read, so I dumped here where noone will see it.

I feel your pain. It seems like the UK has been taken over by idiots and nationalists (is there a difference??). Watching the current UK government imploding in slow motion is painful.
My new word of the month is kakistocracy..."a system of government which is run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens". Sounds like that admirably describes the current incumbents on both sides of the Atlantic.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »
If there was at least an opposition that wasn't terrifying, there would be a glimmer of hope. But that's too much to ask it seems.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »
As a PM of ours said, the first Trudeau, "Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt." These messes are going to freaking reverberate.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2018, 03:14:21 AM »
If there was at least an opposition that wasn't terrifying, there would be a glimmer of hope. But that's too much to ask it seems.

Shocking, isn't it? All Labour seem to be doing is enabling a shambolic Tory government.

Oh, and making a song and dance about a change in direction to go for something that the EU has explicitly ruled out from day one.  ::) ::) ::)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
Oh boo hoo. You think you got problems? At least in three years you'll be done with this.

Optimist. 

Democrats are going to run midterms on a platform of impeachment, which will just entrench support for Trump the way it did for Clinton in the '90s (even if Mueller finds multiple smoking guns).  Then they'll find the worst possible Presidential candidates in 2020 and he'll be re-elected handily.  Will Rogers had our number 80 years ago, and it's still true today. 

The only way he doesn't serve eight years in office is because of a stroke or an exploding ticker. 

In three years, our problems will only be just beginning.

What hope for us when a country that has an unelected head of government, an unelected head of state, an unelected upper chamber, an unelected civil service*, acts like somehow we're being oppressed because we don't get to directly vote for the President of the European Council, who doesn't even have legislative or executive power. Perhaps illusion might describe the mindset.

* not that I have a problem with most of that though I'm open minded about Lords reform

Sorry. Someone was wrong on the Internet and it got me worked up. I restrain myself from participating in the places I read, so I dumped here where noone will see it.

Heh.  Brings new meaning to "security through obscurity". 

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
If the US can't get rid of Trump, who does absolutely nothing to hide his vice and his incompetence, well, you deserve your slide into fascism. I'd say at this point everyone knows who Trump is. No one's expecting him to start being "presidential" at any moment, except some reporters who apparently are in deep denial of just how much trouble the country is in.

Quite honestly, if I read a fictional POTUS like him in a book, I'd expect it to be crazy satire, because if it were intended to be realistic I'd have told the author "dial it back to believable levels of stupidity and corruption."

Unfortunately it seems the Bernie bros will be out in force to try to commandeer the Democratic party to accept a leader who's never been a Democrat, and they'll resume their sulking wait for the end of the world when it doesn't.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
I am cautiously optimistic based on how various elections have been going around the country.  Sure, okay, it feels like shooting fish in a barrel to beat the pedophile for Senate.  But in such a deeply red state, in which the pedophile still won the primary, it's definitely something.

Meanwhile, an idiot in my state has proposed a law to arm teachers, and I got an e-mail this morning telling me how my son's school district is preparing for live shooting incidents.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
Also, I frankly wouldn't put it past Trump to claim to have accomplished everything he wants to in a single term and just not run again.  I don't think he likes being President.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
Also, I frankly wouldn't put it past Trump to claim to have accomplished everything he wants to in a single term and just not run again.  I don't think he likes being President.

This is true - he didn't actually want to win, he wanted to boost his resale value.  And yeah, he can just say "nope, done" in 2020 and go back to hawking steaks. 

I don't expect that, personally - between the apparent narcissistic personality disorder, the continued fellating by certain wings of the GOP, and the ever-present threat of a polonium cocktail from the Russians once he stops being useful, I fully expect that he will run for re-election (assuming he's healthy enough). 

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
Considering that the main thing he likes is money, are there any financial benefits he will get from being an ex-POTUS? Normally there would be 'celebrity' status, appearances, talking tours, etc but he already has that as being 'Trump'.

Is there anything he will actually get that would be of value to him?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:59:12 PM by Obviousman »

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #401 on: February 27, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Quite honestly, if I read a fictional POTUS like him in a book, I'd expect it to be crazy satire, because if it were intended to be realistic I'd have told the author "dial it back to believable levels of stupidity and corruption."
Perhaps he's a comedian, playing the long game, like Andy Kaufman.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #403 on: February 27, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »
"Sure, bone spurs in I-Don't-Remember-Which foot kept me out of Vietnam, but I'm sure Rambo now!"

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #404 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
It's easy to be brave after the fact. ::)

He would have "run in" ..... ?

Has anyone, anywhere, seen Trump run AT ALL in living memory? I would ask how quick he could run a 100metres, if I thought he could complete but a fraction of that....