Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399572 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #405 on: February 28, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
He believes exercise is bad for you.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #406 on: February 28, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
Quite honestly, if I read a fictional POTUS like him in a book, I'd expect it to be crazy satire, because if it were intended to be realistic I'd have told the author "dial it back to believable levels of stupidity and corruption."
Perhaps he's a comedian, playing the long game, like Andy Kaufman.

No lie, I used to fantasize about running as a candidate so unhinged, so obviously batshit head-trauma crazy, that it would scare everyone into voting for the other guy.

Trump's election has shown me that such a plan could never work.  People will happily, nay eagerly vote for batshit head-trauma crazy. 

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
So now Trumps great insight is, if the UK relaxes its gun laws perhaps it will be a solution to London’s knife problem?  :o  :o
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #408 on: May 05, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
You have to remember that guns are magic and solve everything, even the problems they cause.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #409 on: May 05, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
It's easy to be brave after the fact. ::)

He would have "run in" ..... ?

Has anyone, anywhere, seen Trump run AT ALL in living memory? I would ask how quick he could run a 100metres, if I thought he could complete but a fraction of that....

I remember a picture from a certain summit, with the world leaders walking across a green and, in the back, Trump sitting in a cart.

This is after all the man who has professed that you only get a certain number of heartbeats in your life, so why do anything to use them up faster.

Heck, I'm kinda surprised, given his record, the Candyman wasn't picked for Surgeon General.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #410 on: May 05, 2018, 11:21:38 PM »

This is after all the man who has professed that you only get a certain number of heartbeats in your life, so why do anything to use them up faster.

I'm pretty sure Neil Armstrong said that too.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #411 on: May 06, 2018, 02:54:06 AM »
You have to remember that guns are magic and solve everything, even the problems they cause.

Yes as per the NRA’s idea to stop school masacares, “let’s arm the teachers!” Why do these barmy ideas not sound idiotic to the people that propose them?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #412 on: May 06, 2018, 07:17:53 AM »

Yes as per the NRA’s idea to stop school masacares, “let’s arm the teachers!” Why do these barmy ideas not sound idiotic to the people that propose them?

Selling a gun to the teachers to stop the man that you sold a gun to sounds awfully like the logic of a person who wants to sell two guns.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #413 on: May 06, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »
Selling a gun to the teachers to stop the man that you sold a gun to sounds awfully like the logic of a person who wants to sell two guns.

You're not wrong; these days, the NRA supports gun manufacturers a lot more than they support gun owners.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #414 on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »

I thought that was beer.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #415 on: May 07, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »

Yup.  The modern NRA serves the interests of the gun manufacturers, period.  Anything that could possibly slow down gun sales (waiting periods, background checks, real licensing) is cast as an Assault On Freedom, while anything that could possibly drive up sales (arming teachers, students, cafeteria workers, janitors) is Standing Up For America.  And the goddamned rednecks buy it wholesale. 

FTR, I own a couple of weapons (a .38 Colt Police Positive revolver that belonged to one grandfather, and a .22 Remington rifle that belonged to the other).  Neither have been fired in years. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Concealed Carry license just in case the state of Texas decides that's the only allowable form of voter ID going forward (I wouldn't put it past this bunch of idiots).  I wouldn't want to use the .38 for the training, though - it's old, and modern .38 ammo is a little too powerful for it, so I'd need to find a new(er) weapon. 

I wouldn't actually carry concealed, mind you - I'm not that paranoid about my personal safety.  Again, I'd just want the license for ID purposes. 

Worked a short-term contract with a gold-plated gun nut with a CCL who brought his weapon to the office.  Let's just say I was happy to not get my contract renewed. 

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
Was just reading this thread and someone shared this with me.. There is a video attached as people outside the UK (and some inside the UK) will not understand the reference.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #417 on: May 08, 2018, 06:34:48 AM »
Was just reading this thread and someone shared this with me.. There is a video attached as people outside the UK (and some inside the UK) will not understand the reference.
There's a small industry working this meme:
https://www.facebook.com/TrumptonMayor/
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #418 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »

There's a small industry working this meme:
https://www.facebook.com/TrumptonMayor/

Just a quick glance and we find, "Briton's be prepared: - Show your rump to Trump." Had to chuckle at that one.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #419 on: May 08, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
I try not to get too involved in political discussions, but I'm appalled at Trump pulling the US out of the Iran deal.  I had hoped some of his associates could talk sense into him, but the White House now seems to be full of hawks who'd no doubt prefer conflict to a peaceful solution.  (Not to mention it'll likely push oil prices up, much to the delight of many of their sponsors.)

As he left the podium, Trump took a question from a journalist asking how the deal will affect US security.

"How does this make America safer?" asked the journalist.

"This will make America much safer," Trump responded.
Well, I'm really glad you cleared that up for us Mr President...

My only hope is that Europe, Russia, China etc. can persuade Iran that it's still worth continuing the deal.  That however would leave the US very isolated, potentially leading to other problems.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb