Author Topic: 1/2" steel shielding  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Flookie

• Venus
1/2" steel shielding
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm haggling with another Apollo denier and he keeps bringing up "1/2 inch of steel" as inadequate shielding against the (presumably) VAB. I say presumably because he isn't clear in his mind between heat & radiation or distinguishing between a Saturn V and the Apollo craft. It's possible he's referring to the thermal shielding on the CM base but I was explicit in explaining that was heat shield and what actually was used as shielding. Can anyone tell me where this 1/2" steel originates and whether it does refer to some aspect of Saturn V or Apollo?

Also, he keeps referring to an interview with Alan Bean that indicates Bean didn't know where the VAB were. I understand it's a questions about Apollo spliced together with an answer about Skylab (whether it passed through the VAB?). Can someone enlighten me about this interview?

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: 1/2" steel shielding
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
Sounds like it came straight out of his tuckus, truthfully speaking.
Apollo spacecraft walls were made of several layers of different materials.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Or the old 'you need lead for radiation shielding' line.

Offline Flookie

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
Thanks. His original idea was appropriate for a nuclear bomb and a weblink to back himself up. I had to explain the different sorts of radiation to him, including where infra-red fitted in. He does acknowledge he has no idea how intense the heat or radiation would be or what is appropriate shielding against either but is adamant 1/2" steel is inadequate for the solid reason that he doesn't think it is. I can only think he is either imagining something or it refers to the nose of the Saturn V but I have no desire to chase up blueprints.

Any idea about the Bean interview? I found a reference in earlier discussion that it was spliced film made by Sibrel but that was it.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Here is a pdf of the construction.  .5" is the smallest thickness widening to 1.5"
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/CSM06_Command_Module_Overview_pp39-52.pdf
Page 5
The outer structure is the heat shield and is made of stainless steel brazed honeycomb brazed between steel alloy face sheets. It varies in thickness from .5 inch to 2.5 inches
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
Thanks. His original idea was appropriate for a nuclear bomb and a weblink to back himself up. I had to explain the different sorts of radiation to him, including where infra-red fitted in. He does acknowledge he has no idea how intense the heat or radiation would be or what is appropriate shielding against either but is adamant 1/2" steel is inadequate for the solid reason that he doesn't think it is. I can only think he is either imagining something or it refers to the nose of the Saturn V but I have no desire to chase up blueprints.

Any idea about the Bean interview? I found a reference in earlier discussion that it was spliced film made by Sibrel but that was it.
Here is the clip you are talking about.

Cuts aplenty.

And how did that interview end? Here is how (NSFW)

Yup Sibrel pulled his same swear on the bible crap as he did on Aldrin. Al Bean chucked him out of his home. Aldrin decked him.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
My Ren faire boss has a new pin that I feel fits into this conversation--"A day without radiation is a day without sunshine."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Flookie

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
Thanks!  :)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »
My Ren faire boss has a new pin that I feel fits into this conversation--"A day without radiation is a day without sunshine."
That pin is just rad! ;D

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
Haha, funny because absolutely true.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
I've suggested that we need the corresponding pin, "A day without sunshine is, like, night."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates