Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478906 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
I have seriously been accused of it by someone who didn't know very much about me.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
I have seriously been accused of it by someone who didn't know very much about me.
Well, hey, isn't that what CTs do pretty much by definition?
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »
Accused of sock-puppetry in general, or accused of being Doctor "Fatty" Socks?

Because I can't think of a more polar opposite than someone who composes terse, grammatical, to the point posts.  With proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization and spacing as well!

(That's one of my seven deadly signs of Doctor Socks by the by...peculiarities in how he uses spaces and capitalization.)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
Specifically accused of being him.  A closet HB and probably one of the many socks.  Despite the obvious join-by date putting me on the forum years before him.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
Specifically accused of being him.  A closet HB and probably one of the many socks.  Despite the obvious join-by date putting me on the forum years before him.

Obviously you've just been planning it for a really long time. That's just how clever you are. ;)
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:13 AM »
And of course a review of past postings proves you two never posted in the same forum at the same time.   :o

The deviousness never ends. 8)
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
Yeah, I notice that the obvious join-by dates don't show up on this software.  Clearly all part of a clever ploy so that I can hide.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
And there went the shoe.  It's a RUSSIAN wife this time.  Plus he's a private pilot, aircraft mechanic, aeronautics engineer and chemist.  Well, okay -- so Jay's real-world credentials are as impressive.  Although Jay has a chorus, not a rock band.  Perhaps we should write a comic book about his exploits!

He's...interesting...this time.  Veers between modes.  Some of the usual gambit of finding off-the-cuff remarks in non-technical settings that he can contrast (aka "This NASA guy in an interview said the Martian atmosphere was less than 1/100th as dense, but NASA's own studies says under .5 percent!!!  NASA LIES!!!!)  And some of his usual scribbly math where he does seem to be actually trying to make a good calculation (with the wrong assumptions, natch!)

Offline Valis

• Venus
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »
And there went the shoe.  It's a RUSSIAN wife this time.  Plus he's a private pilot, aircraft mechanic, aeronautics engineer and chemist.  Well, okay -- so Jay's real-world credentials are as impressive.  Although Jay has a chorus, not a rock band.  Perhaps we should write a comic book about his exploits!
Where did this happen?

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
Godlike Productions.  Doctor Socks is all over the Mars threads there. 

Offline BertL

• Mercury
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
Godlike Productions.  Doctor Socks is all over the Mars threads there. 
How did you find out? I thought only insane people go there... :D

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »
Sometimes I like to take a break from sanity. 

Also, though; some of the posters there are capable of moving beyond wrong, fractally wrong, and not even wrong, to arrive at "could actually be right in some alternate universe."  And that interests me as a world-building exercise.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
(aka "This NASA guy in an interview said the Martian atmosphere was less than 1/100th as dense, but NASA's own studies says under .5 percent!!!  NASA LIES!!!!)
This is what happens when NASA tries to explain technical concepts to a general audience and is forced to simplify them. The pressure and density of the Martian atmosphere vary significantly over a Martian year because a significant fraction of the CO2 making it up freezes out in the polar ice caps. The ratio is more than 2:1, between 400 Pa (Pascals) and 870 Pa, according to Wikipedia. Earth's sea level pressure is about 101 kPa (101,325 Pa), so the Martian surface pressure varies between less than 0.4% and almost 1% of the earth's. I.e., both answers are right at different times.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
Aside from that, 0.5% is less than 1/100.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Therein lies the problem.  That typical hoaxie approach is to mistake statements that are accurate for statements that are precise.

(Or, to be more accurate myself, some hoax believers are attracted towards non-technical descriptions because they know they can mis-interpret them in this way.  And their favorite game is to find two statements that they can then pretend to contrast.)