Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479221 times)

Offline Luther

• Venus
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #960 on: May 30, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
I'd say that obligation lasts at least until the very last Alled soldier passes on. Sounds fair to me...

The idea that the soldiers (including quite a few of my relatives) who fought and died in that war did so so that generations of people from the occupied countries not even yet born would owe fawning obsequience to the allied countries sounds beneath contempt to me, and I do not appreciate your dishonouring their memory.

If anyone here is from one of the occupied countries, please note that an embarrassment like DD Brock does not speak for all of us from the allied countries.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #961 on: May 30, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »
I'd say that obligation lasts at least until the very last Alled soldier passes on. Sounds fair to me...

The idea that the soldiers (including quite a few of my relatives) who fought and died in that war did so so that generations of people from the occupied countries not even yet born would owe fawning obsequience to the allied countries sounds beneath contempt to me, and I do not appreciate your dishonouring their memory.

If anyone here is from one of the occupied countries, please note that an embarrassment like DD Brock does not speak for all of us from the allied countries.

You asked the smart ass  (and coincidentally off-topic) question, are you really that shocked at a smart ass answer? Seriously?  Sensitive one, aren't you?

You can hop off your high horse now... You ain't the only one who had relatives in that war, Bub...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:16:39 PM by DD Brock »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #962 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
Yeah--my grandfather served.  As an officer at the Santa Anita racetrack interment camp.  Our hands are not exactly clean in that war; what do we owe because of it?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #963 on: May 31, 2015, 02:23:25 AM »
I'd say we owe not letting anything like that ever happen again.

Fat chance, though. It did. More than once.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #964 on: May 31, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »
I'd say we owe not letting anything like that ever happen again.

Fat chance, though. It did. More than once.

That's the sad truth of it right there.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #965 on: June 01, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
France was under the boot for eighteen months before the US even entered the war, so we might wonder how altruistic the actions of the latter were.

You need to be careful who you blame for that.

FDR wanted the USA to pitch in because he recognised that the Nazis were a threat to the whole world not just Europe. Unfortunately he had to deal with his very own Nazi sympathisers at home. There was a core group of very of prominent and very wealthy American businessmen who had a lot to gain from helping and supporting the right wing regimes in Europe for the twenty or so years prior to WW2. They supported Franco during the Spanish Civil War of 1936 with materiel. They also supported Mussolini, and Hitler.

Among the more well known individual supporters of the Nazis were Andrew Mellon (Secretary of the US Treasury), William Randolph Hearst, Joseph Kennedy (JFK's father), John Rockefeller, Allen Dulles (later head of the CIA), Charles Lindbergh and Prescott Bush (George Bush's father; Dubya's grandfather). Additionally, there were also major companies who wanted to keep supplying and supporting the Nazis because of the huge money they could make. Companies such as General Motors, Ford, Winthrop Chemical, Exxon (then called Standard Oil), ITT, Alcoa, Dow Chemical, General Electric, National City Bank and DuPont were all keen to continue making profits from Hitler's regime.

Suggesting that "America was late joining the war" might be true, but it doesn't paint a true and accurate picture of what its President and the majority of its people thought. The facts are that in the two years prior to Pearl Harbour, many thousands of Americans went to Europe to join the fight against Nazism by joining the RAF, the Royal Navy and the British Army. Those who wanted America to stay out of it were a small but noisy and influential minority.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #966 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:12 AM »
Don't forget Henry Ford, the only American mentioned in a positive way in Mein Kampf, not to mention someone who earnestly believed The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was legit.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #967 on: June 25, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
I'm not really sure if anyone REALLY wants to know, but Heiwa is now holding court here:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=20.0

I know, I know, it's Woo Central.

Any way........he's got another winner of his "Challenge" that he refuses to pay
That's here:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0#.VYuNXNHbJhE

There are other loonies there also.

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #968 on: June 25, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »
I'm not really sure if anyone REALLY wants to know, but Heiwa is now holding court here:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=20.0

I know, I know, it's Woo Central.

Any way........he's got another winner of his "Challenge" that he refuses to pay
That's here:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0#.VYuNXNHbJhE

There are other loonies there also.

Phil
I just read the first couple and the last couple pages of the challenge thread.  As expected he is still moving goalposts.  He has never proven he has any money.  When asked repeatedly a direct question "Do you agree that reentry generates a finite amount of heat" he can't answer it.  The closest he comes is a lie of "reentry always results in complete destruction of the spacecraft" and then disappears for a while.  He DID admit that nobody will ever win his challenge because of his lie above though.

and apparently I'm already registered there.  At first glance it actually appears to not be completely full of loonies.  there are a fair amount of knowledgable people that know the Earth is round despite the forum name, unlike the Clues forum where it is completely filled with posters with their heads in the sand.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:22:16 PM by frenat »
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #969 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
Over 2,000 posts in that thread, and Heiwa being Heiwa (apparently he still thinks the capsule has to 'stop' to re-enter, and all meteors burn up (there is no such thing as a meteorite).

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #970 on: June 25, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »
Over 2,000 posts in that thread, and Heiwa being Heiwa (apparently he still thinks the capsule has to 'stop' to re-enter, and all meteors burn up (there is no such thing as a meteorite).
How does he explain 'stopping' for re-entry? How does he explain meteorites? Is the atmosphere supposed to be an invincible shield? Tell that to the dinosaurs.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #971 on: June 25, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
Heiwa explain anything?  Have you met him?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #972 on: June 25, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
He 'explains' stopping for re-entry by defining re-entry as impossible. As for meteorites, he's never found one in his garden, so apparently they don't exist (according to a comment in that thread). I guess that means most rocks and minerals don't exist, as I haven't found them in my garden.

So yes, to him the atmosphere is an impenetrable shield.

Offline philwebb59

• Mercury
« Reply #973 on: January 20, 2016, 05:16:08 AM »
Didn't Jay go into the desert for the Zig-Zag productions and show this wasn't the case. Did Jay also use a Hasselblad with the same Ektachrome?

Correct.  E-6 at ISO 160 did not show stars.  The longest exposure I used was f/5.6 1/60, for the studio light.  Coincidentally that night was the brightest Mars in years, but it took f/2.8 1/4, ISO 800 on the other camera I brought for it to show up.
Was the Ektachrome SO-160 film used on the lunar surface the same as today's Ektachrome 160T? T for Tungsten, I'm guessing.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #974 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
Was the Ektachrome SO-160 film used on the lunar surface the same as today's Ektachrome 160T? T for Tungsten, I'm guessing.

I don't think so.  The Apollo film was the E-3 process, and I believe today's Ektachrome is E-6.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams