Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 52728 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »
I didn't say that there aren't other anti-vaxxers or that the MAGA idiots invented anti-vax. But some of the current loudest are also Trump supporting nutjobs.

Yes, they are, but "the Venn diagram is a circle" literally means the overlap is complete, and we're merely pointing out that it isn't.

Which is not what I said despite you putting it in quotes.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
Which is not what I said despite you putting it in quotes.

My apologies.  Here's what you said.  "I wonder what shape the Venn diagram that maps MAGA idiots, COVID anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, anti-abortionists and evangelical nut-jobs would be? A perfect circle?"
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
Oh, and don't forget alternative 'medicine' enthusiasts and anti-vaxxers in general.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2021, 04:50:00 AM »

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.
...and Vietnamese.
Powell was in the unit that committed the Mỹ Lai massacre and helped cover it up.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2021, 11:12:23 AM »

Not to mention needlessly dead, maimed, and psychologically scarred American warfighters and the strengthening of the American police state. 

My Father-in-law was a Korea veteran, and one of his many1 pearls of wisdom was that All Generals Lie All The Time.  It's just part of the job description. 

I've seen stories that claim Powell regretted that speech to the UN, but regret doesn't pay the bills. 

----------

1. Along with "never talk to the police for any reason without a lawyer present" and "you can be friends with a thief, just don't ever let him hold your wallet."

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2021, 08:52:51 PM »
Last Friday we came out of lockdown in Canberra. We went into lockdown about two months ago after a Delta case appeared in the city. Over the weeks the cases spread across the city, but fortunately things never got out of hand. In a city of 430,000 people we've had a total of 1700 cases in those two months, with never more than 50 new cases in a day.

The main factor which allowed the lockdown to end was that here in Canberra we reached 80% double-dose vaccines in those aged 16 and above. We're now at 86% double-dose and >98% single-dose, and both figures are still increasing.

On top of that, vaccines were made available for 12- to 15-year-olds a couple of months ago. Our 13YOS got his second dose last Friday (with no side effects beyond soreness at the injection site). We're now waiting for vaccine approval for 5- to 11-year-olds.

In the meantime, the kids all go back to school on 1 November. We've just received information on the procedures the schools will have in place to reduce contacts among the school kids - a range of simple and low-key things which look eminently sensible to me: the library will be closed, lunch breaks will be staggered, access to the school oval will be on a year group roster for lunch and recess, each year group will have specific toilets allocated to them, bubblers will be switched off, and kids will be encouraged to wear masks (but it isn't compulsory).

The one compulsory thing is that teachers must be vaccinated in order to be allowed to teach classes. Not surprisingly this has caused some angst, but quite a few government departments and large private employers across Australia have announced vaccine mandates in the last couple of weeks. Yes, I understand the personal right-to-choose argument used by opponents of vaccine mandates. I just wish the people using those arguments understood their decision affects the community and not just them.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2021, 06:07:17 PM »
Last Friday we came out of lockdown in Canberra. We went into lockdown about two months ago after a Delta case appeared in the city. Over the weeks the cases spread across the city, but fortunately things never got out of hand. In a city of 430,000 people we've had a total of 1700 cases in those two months, with never more than 50 new cases in a day.

The main factor which allowed the lockdown to end was that here in Canberra we reached 80% double-dose vaccines in those aged 16 and above. We're now at 86% double-dose and >98% single-dose, and both figures are still increasing.

Yesterday reached 90% double dosed.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
The FDA advisory committee suggested approving the vaccine for kids five to eleven.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2024, 09:22:36 AM »
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(24)00134-8/fulltext

Man having 217 covid-vaccines. And he's just fine. Don't let the anti-vaxxers know this.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.