Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 52791 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »

Peter, you won't get an answer, you're replying to a banned poster

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=109.msg53051#msg53051

Yeah, but I figured that if he was interested enough in the site to attempt to create a sock puppet he might perhaps read responses to the post that got him banned in the first place.

In any case, like with Apollo Hoax comments generally, I can also hope to address people who might potentially be taken in by cambo's comments.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
Over at Unexplained Mysteries there's a thread listing and discussing the various conspiracy theories relating to the virus. They've reached 100 so far...

But one of the more recent topics has been the drug remdesivir - a horribly expensive drug still under patent that the thread's resident conspiracy theorists think is being pushed by miscellaneous lefties and Trump-haters as opposed to the cheap generic hydroxychloroquine that Trump had been touting lately.

Only now, I see Trump is touting remdesivir.

I wait with interest to see how the conspiracy theorists rationalise that...

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
Over at Unexplained Mysteries there's a thread listing and discussing the various conspiracy theories relating to the virus. They've reached 100 so far...

But one of the more recent topics has been the drug remdesivir - a horribly expensive drug still under patent that the thread's resident conspiracy theorists think is being pushed by miscellaneous lefties and Trump-haters as opposed to the cheap generic hydroxychloroquine that Trump had been touting lately.

Only now, I see Trump is touting remdesivir.

I wait with interest to see how the conspiracy theorists rationalise that...

Yeah, it will be refreshing to see some people realise they have made an error, admit to it, and reconsider their stance... *POP* Oh - that was just a fantasy.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
What a relief!

Just today we found out that government schools will be reopening in 2-3 weeks. This is after the ACT having had only one COVID-19 case in a population of over 400,000 in the last 10 days or so.

The kids have been doing moderately well with online schooling, but the boys are both agile and smart enough to be able to sneak game time when they should be doing assignments or taking part in video conferences. Plus they've had few opportunities to get much outside time. So it'll be good for their brains and bodies to get back to school.

Then, tonight I had to go down to the supermarket for some late evening shopping. The social distancing markers are still in place inside the shop, but they've scrapped the entry queue to limit customer numbers at the entrance.

Such small changes in the grand scheme of things, but it's a wonderful feeling to have a loosening of restrictions for once.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
The park down the street from us has opened, I believe.  It's not much of one--just a boat launch, really, as we live near a lake--but I might walk over there with the kids later today.  I've got a couple of friends arguing for considerably loosened restrictions, but we won't be able to open even to our governor's proposed smallest easing of restrictions until we've got considerably more testing available.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »
The Tahuya Forest in western WA was reopened yesterday.  ATV riding for me this weekend!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 03:43:42 AM »
Can't wait for the Canada/US borders reopen, so I can visit my American boyfriend. And, yes, this does make me the Canadian girlfriend trope. ;D

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 05:39:29 AM »
I can't wait for the borders to open so I can.... So I can...... ah, bugger. Nothing to do!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
A friend of a friend said yesterday that the whole "Bill Gates is Satan" thing wasn't made up, because it was in the Book of Revelation.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
A friend of a friend said yesterday that the whole "Bill Gates is Satan" thing wasn't made up, because it was in the Book of Revelation.
"And lo, the angel broke the rainbow seal, and out came a man of nerdy mien, his eyes covered in crystal, and a dorkish mode to his short locks. He would bring unity yet division to computation, bringing windows to the world, and as many would curse as would praise his works." Revelations 3:11.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 09:38:03 PM »
"And lo, the angel broke the rainbow seal, and out came a man of nerdy mien, his eyes covered in crystal, and a dorkish mode to his short locks. He would bring unity yet division to computation, bringing windows to the world, and as many would curse as would praise his works." Revelations 3:11.

Ah yes, I'd recognise MS Bible anywhere...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Ah yes, I'd recognise MS Bible anywhere...

In the beginning was the Word.  Then the Excel  Then the Powerpoint.  Then the Outlook.  And there was great rejoicing.  (Yay!)

I love how everyone thinks Microsoft invented word processing.  Long before it was WordPerfect, a product out of my home state (although from the valley to the south.)  It ran in text mode on MS-DOS and was the go-to product for many years.  I mention it because the former WordPerfect campus has been recycled into offices and headquarters for so many companies since then.  Adobe even occupied it for a while.  It's the cathedral of Silicon Slopes.  Its tenants at any time literally only have to say, "We're in the former WordPerfect offices," and everyone instantly knows where you are and how to get there.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
I've got a couple of friends arguing for considerably loosened restrictions, but we won't be able to open even to our governor's proposed smallest easing of restrictions until we've got considerably more testing available.

At present I think there's only one state that has looser restrictions than Utah:  Tennessee, if memory serves.  All public spaces are open, subject to the two-meter ("six feet") separation and cloth mask guidelines.  In most public places, the separation still happens.  Mask-wearing is sporadic.  Businesses that can accommodate the two-meter separation may receive customers, including restaurants and bars.  We're one of the States whose Governor did not issue a stay-at-home order, although our city and county did.  They expired May 1, replaced by lesser restrictions.  Because our population is highly concentrated into a strip of four counties, a statewide order doesn't make a lot of sense.  Except that only three of the four populous counties quarantined their inhabitants.  That's the county that made national headlines for COVID-19 clusters at two businesses.  Their owners forced employees to come to work even after testing positive.  That's the kind of thing that makes you facepalm, if you were allowed to touch your face.

Sadly our curve is not flattening.  But it was relatively flat to start with.  We've had a very low infection rate and a very low mortality rate.  The present trend assures us that we will have enough hospital beds to treat the infected.  And we have a surplus of testing capacity.  The problem, of course, is that this is American and few people can afford to go to the hospital.  So those criteria for reopening the state are suspiciously biased in favor of well-off business owners.  Thankfully my company's criteria for resuming non-critical onsite labor is based on a gateway criterion worked out with our state epidemiologist.  We require 14 consecutive days of non-increasing positive test rates.  We'll consider a staged reintegration at that time. I have to say it's such a blessing to have a company populated by people who know implicitly how to trust science, who pay attention to data, and who are already fanatics about cleanliness and compliance.  It makes it so much easier to stomach the chaos I see elsewhere around me.

Sadly all the hiking trails near the city are jam-packed, and distancing is not happening.  It really can't.  You can't go six feet off the trail in most cases without plummeting.  However our air quality is amazingly good.  We suffer normally from chronic pollution, due to the geography of our valley.  Ironically, because this results in year-round respiratory complaints, our hospitals are disproportionately endowed with ventilators.  Luckily it's easy to throw the dogs in the car and drive out to places where there simply are no other people.  Folks on the coasts don't often get that.  There are big chunks of Utah that the USAF uses for target practice.  That's the sort of wide-open spaces we have available when you need to stay apart from people.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
I think the virus will be virtually gone from the Netherlands in 1, at most 2 months. At the rate new cases and deaths are currently decreasing.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon