Author Topic: Kids say the darnedest things...  (Read 72256 times)

Offline jfb

• Mars
Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
... comparing Kamala Harris and Dan Quayle....
"You say potato, I say potatoe"  ;D

Yep.

And the story about not learning Latin when talking about Latin America.

And the Murphy Brown story.

All three kids were laughing in disbelief.

Over time I have chosen to be charitable to Quayle.  As Republicans go, he was pretty harmless (as a friend of a friend pointed out at the time, he was the one Senator that Bush could afford to lose).  He could have been a genius on par with Newton, but should never have been allowed in front of a live mic without a script and a staffer to dive on it like a live grenade as soon as he started to wander. 

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2021, 04:18:50 AM »
Today I got the kids to move fast, then stand still for an extended period of time.

I invited them to come outside (at around 4pm) to see Venus in a daytime sky.

They came outside, and they all stood around staring into the sky until they spotted it.

And frankly, I thought it was a pretty cool thing to see too.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2021, 10:25:42 PM »
Peter B, good to hear about you showing them Venus. I was doing the same at my local primary school (ages 5 to 13) at noon today.

Monday was even better with the moon close to Venus, but being on the coast we had sea fog roll in for about two hours on three occasions from morning to early evening, so didn't have many chances to see them in blue sky. The fog was mostly well above ground and quickly formed into very low cumulus clouds, which rose as they moved inland. However, the evening fog cleared away early so we got a spectacular sight with both the moon and bright Venus much closer still in dark sky, plus Saturn and Jupiter a little further along the ecliptic.   
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »
So at the weekend I went to my eldest grandsons soccer match, as I sponsored their new kit. It was also Remembrance Day in the UK and a two minute silence was held. It was very well respected by all, until, with 30 seconds to go my 2yo Grandson thought the silence was a great time to start singing nursery rhymes at the top of his voice. Trying to shhh him just made it worse, luckily everyone found it quite amusing and he did make everyone smile.

Team photo from the event..

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2021, 04:33:13 AM »
Can't beat the comeback

= = = =

While the kids were eating their chocolate cookie dessert I was telling them about the Spinlaunch company (after I watched the Scott Manley video).

Me: ...but because of the way it works you can't launch people that way.

8YOD: It sounds like fun!

11YOS: But you can't do it, you'd be squashed!

8YOD: You've got chocolate on your face.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »
Yesterday morning, Zane informed me that he was so happy to be getting his COVID shot that he didn't need his traditional Treat For Getting A Shot.  This did not stop him from accepting popsicles, of course.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
My name is Inigo Montoya...

= = = =

We had a family movie night last night, watching "The Princess Bride" (and if you haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favour!).

Me (before the movie): You may hear some strange things. Please don't comment on them at the time. Just watch the movie and go with the flow.

Vizzini: ...and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals!

11YOS: No it isn't!

Me: !!

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2021, 07:56:32 AM »
Finally...

= = = =

Four terms to the school year; 10 weeks to the school term; 5 days to the school week...200 school days in the year.

And finally, on day 197, all three kids were up before me!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »
We watched The Muppet Christmas Carol last night.  When they announced that kids shouldn't be scared, because it was culture, I said, "Look, Zane, culture!"  He stuck his tongue out at me.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
 To the end of the video ..on going to school again and watching the same movie a hundred times

“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »
I forget whether I've mentioned "Bluey" before, but I recently had a good laugh when I read this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-30/american-version-kath-and-kim-tv-remakes/100689218

Specifically, it links to a radio interview discussing how American kids are picking up Australian accents and slang from watching "Bluey".

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2022, 07:11:50 AM »
I never heard of that show until literally a few minutes ago.
It's today's featured article on Wikipedia.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:05 AM »
I wrote it up for my Stuff My Kids Watch column a few months ago.  It's charming as hell.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »
So my Granddaughter Eva stayed with us Saturday, she did not stop chatting. So during one of her non stop chatters, she told us about her troll toy that talks. She explained that the talking got on her nerves, so she found an off switch to stop it talking. So my wife says, “Eva, have you got an off switch?”
The reply was, “of course not Nanny, but you’re not the first person to ask that.” 😂🤣
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2022, 09:00:52 AM »
My kids know their Trojan War mythology.

And 14YOS is getting a little pudgy around the waist.

So I had to laugh when 11YOS and 9YOD called him "Obesius"...