Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 412208 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1305 on: September 24, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »
And soon he will have a solid lock on the Supreme Court who will say whatever he does next is perfectly legal.

If the Democrats gain control of Congress and the White House, they can change the composition of the Court as was done back during the New Deal.  The number of justices on the Court is not presented in Article III, and is instead something Congress can decide.  So there are political avenues open, but reasonable Americans need to brace for a 6-3 majority that might be a factor in a contested election.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1306 on: September 24, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
And soon he will have a solid lock on the Supreme Court who will say whatever he does next is perfectly legal.

If the Democrats gain control of Congress and the White House, they can change the composition of the Court as was done back during the New Deal.  The number of justices on the Court is not presented in Article III, and is instead something Congress can decide.  So there are political avenues open, but reasonable Americans need to brace for a 6-3 majority that might be a factor in a contested election.

Yes, I think that is the only option. But even though it has been done before, I think doing it now will cause a huge uproar from the right who will say it's "cheating".

I would also like to see Puerto Rico and Washington DC get made states. Either that or get rid of the electoral college.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1307 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
I passionately believe that at least one of the Republican justices has done enough to merit removal from office.  It's an open secret in DC circles that access to Clarence Thomas is essentially being sold by his wife.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1308 on: September 24, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »
I passionately believe that at least one of the Republican justices has done enough to merit removal from office.  It's an open secret in DC circles that access to Clarence Thomas is essentially being sold by his wife.

How hard is it to remove a Supreme Court justice? Is it an impeachment process like the President?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1309 on: September 24, 2020, 11:45:39 AM »
It's exactly the same process as removing a President.  The clause in the Constitution that lists who may be impeached and for what offenses applies identically to the President, Vice President, and all other federal civil officers.  That latter category comprises all judges whose jurisdiction is in the federal court system established by Congress under Article III.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1310 on: September 24, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »
Ok, that's reassuring. I thought it might be a bigger ordeal since they are life-time appointments.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1311 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
They "hold their Offices upon good Behavior."

States have a parallel judiciary, established according to whatever the state decides in its constitution.  In some states judges are elected.  In others they are also lifetime appointments.  Term limits on Supreme Court justices would perhaps be a good idea, but that would require amending the Constitution. In many states, appointed judges are subjected to a period confidence vote in a general election:  "Shall Judge So-and-So be retained in as a judge in the First District," etc.  Thanks to a recent ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court, acts committed that are punishable under both State and Federal laws do not incur double jeopardy.  Nor can the President pardon or commute sentences passed in state courts.  The various state courts may become more important if the federal judiciary breaks down.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1312 on: September 25, 2020, 06:55:41 AM »
It's exactly the same process as removing a President.  The clause in the Constitution that lists who may be impeached and for what offenses applies identically to the President, Vice President, and all other federal civil officers.  That latter category comprises all judges whose jurisdiction is in the federal court system established by Congress under Article III.

Has a Supreme Court judge ever been impeached or removed from office?

Incidentally, our High Court judges have to retire at 70 (a rare constitutional amendment brought life tenure to an end). They're effectively chosen by the Prime Minister, but the Attorney General plays a large role as well, and it's rare that appointments raise any concerns. Six former politicians have been appointed as HC judges, but the last of those was more than 40 years ago.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1313 on: September 25, 2020, 07:22:09 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/trump-turns-us-election-into-fight-he-can-win/12698506

This article gets closer to the heart of the Trump phenomenon than anything I've seen up to now, IMO.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #1314 on: September 25, 2020, 08:05:10 AM »
Over in the Kids say the darnedest things thread, Jay said:
It's also helped that Canberra has experienced so little direct effect from the virus - it's nearly 11 weeks since the last case was recorded, a few months since the last death - and the preventive measures are pretty mild. Here's hoping we can keep this up until a vaccine arrives.

That's looking like an attractive refuge as we slowly become Amerika.  My state alone recorded nearly 1,200 new cases just today.  My brother's eldest daughter turned 13 today.  I talked to him recently.  They're coping by doing a lot of outdoor activities that lets them keep distance.

Replying here to avoid derailing the other thread further.

It's interesting to compare the US response to that just north in Canada.

Here in Ontario, Canada there is a lot of concern over 400+ cases a day, and officials are actually doing something about it. The most interesting thing is Premier Ford, who when elected was compared a lot to Trump (he got only 40% of the vote, and was deeply unpopular). However, unlike Trump he took the pandemic seriously and has (mostly) redeemed himself in that area. He's even called anti-maskers idiots.

At all levels, politicians have been listening to domain experts and implementing their advice, including the opposition parties at all levels. There has been some fighting of late, particularly with the federal Conservative party, to the point that a fall election is a possibility, though. Looks like we will be spared that, fortunately.

There was an article in the Toronto Star newspaper (well, online) that I read recently about a person's experience crossing the Canada/US border in both directions (he's a dual citizen with a home in the US, but apparently needed to get belongings from Canada). The contrast was marked: going into Canada the single agent was masked, and he was asked many question about COVID-19. He only needed to remove his mask briefly to verify his identity. Once in Canada, he was required to self-isolate for 14 days - and they followed up on that not only with automated calls, but with a live person calling to check.

By contrast, on returning to the US, there were multiple border agents, none of whom were masked, and their main concern was about the goods he was bringing into the country. I don't recall if the article mentioned any self-isolation requirement; I suspect not.

This, in a nutshell, is why Canada, while not good, is not in the alarming state the US is - and personally, I lay most of the blame for that on Trump (who wants the border reopened soon - most Canadians, I believe, most emphatically do not).

Aside: My older son is in Halifax, Nova Scotia; they're nearly back to normal. It's a nice city, if you are seriously looking to emigrate that would be a good place to consider.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1315 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:41 AM »
Over in the Kids say the darnedest things thread, Jay said:
It's also helped that Canberra has experienced so little direct effect from the virus - it's nearly 11 weeks since the last case was recorded, a few months since the last death - and the preventive measures are pretty mild. Here's hoping we can keep this up until a vaccine arrives.

That's looking like an attractive refuge as we slowly become Amerika.  My state alone recorded nearly 1,200 new cases just today.  My brother's eldest daughter turned 13 today.  I talked to him recently.  They're coping by doing a lot of outdoor activities that lets them keep distance.

Replying here to avoid derailing the other thread further.

It's interesting to compare the US response to that just north in Canada.

Here in Ontario, Canada there is a lot of concern over 400+ cases a day, and officials are actually doing something about it. The most interesting thing is Premier Ford, who when elected was compared a lot to Trump (he got only 40% of the vote, and was deeply unpopular). However, unlike Trump he took the pandemic seriously and has (mostly) redeemed himself in that area. He's even called anti-maskers idiots.

At all levels, politicians have been listening to domain experts and implementing their advice, including the opposition parties at all levels. There has been some fighting of late, particularly with the federal Conservative party, to the point that a fall election is a possibility, though. Looks like we will be spared that, fortunately.

There was an article in the Toronto Star newspaper (well, online) that I read recently about a person's experience crossing the Canada/US border in both directions (he's a dual citizen with a home in the US, but apparently needed to get belongings from Canada). The contrast was marked: going into Canada the single agent was masked, and he was asked many question about COVID-19. He only needed to remove his mask briefly to verify his identity. Once in Canada, he was required to self-isolate for 14 days - and they followed up on that not only with automated calls, but with a live person calling to check.

By contrast, on returning to the US, there were multiple border agents, none of whom were masked, and their main concern was about the goods he was bringing into the country. I don't recall if the article mentioned any self-isolation requirement; I suspect not.

This, in a nutshell, is why Canada, while not good, is not in the alarming state the US is - and personally, I lay most of the blame for that on Trump (who wants the border reopened soon - most Canadians, I believe, most emphatically do not).

And there's another of those frustrating contradictions among Trump supporters: simultaneously claiming he has no powers to lead a fight against the virus, and claiming he's used his powers brilliantly to lead the fight against the virus.

Aside: My older son is in Halifax, Nova Scotia; they're nearly back to normal. It's a nice city, if you are seriously looking to emigrate that would be a good place to consider.

Let the bidding war for Jay's relocation city begin...!

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #1316 on: September 25, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »

Let the bidding war for Jay's relocation city begin...!

;D

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #1317 on: September 25, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »
Or he could move to Midway Atoll; from a post on ISF:
Wildlife Refuge Manager

Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.

This position is part of the Midway Atoll NWRS responsible for a full range of significant scientific and non-scientific refuge issues affecting or related to managing refuge lands; resolves operational and administrative problems for which current information is inconclusive or lacking altogether; develops innovative solutions to complex resource and land management issues that have controversial environmental impact and involve conflicting or unclear law and policy.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1318 on: September 25, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
Jay should just be his own country, like the Vatican. That way no one will fight over who gets to have him. ;)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1319 on: September 25, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)