Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope  (Read 71092 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2021, 07:33:58 AM »
Well, she's up and away on the second stage. So many more steps to go, but here we are at last, at long last. My hopes to all and Godspeed.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
What an odd sequence of orbital maneuvers..... launch to 220 km, then drop down to about 180 km, then turn upwards and ramp the velocity up to about 10km/s.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2021, 09:31:22 AM »
The Europeans did their job right, obviously as expected with an almost perfect track record for the respective rocket.
There are some European instruments onboard too, lets hope to perform as specified.

Now the NASA/American part of the sequence needs to go right: Getting the spacecraft where it needs to be and performing the origami sequence.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 09:33:03 AM by apollo16uvc »
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »
DSN is communicating with webb:

Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
Phew!  <wipes brow>

Fingers crossed it all goes well over the next few weeks, and we get some interesting data soon.  As has often been said, it's not the things we expect to see that will be the most interesting, it'll be the things we had no idea about...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »
It's off and running.  I watched the launch live until it went through the clouds.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
Here is a cool website.

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

It gives running updates on its timeline to L2 showing velocity, percentage of journey completed distance traveled etc

I have it as a pinned tab on my browser.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2021, 09:30:24 PM »
What an odd sequence of orbital maneuvers..... launch to 220 km, then drop down to about 180 km, then turn upwards and ramp the velocity up to about 10km/s.

The dive from 220km back down to 180km - is that an example of the Oberth Effect?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2021, 10:56:23 PM »
Here is a cool websiNeat information, thanks

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

It gives running updates on its timeline to L2 showing velocity, percentage of journey completed distance traveled etc

I have it as a pinned tab on my browser.
Neat information,  thanks
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 10:58:45 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2021, 12:06:13 AM »

The dive from 220km back down to 180km - is that an example of the Oberth Effect?

I don't know. I think it may have been intentional. In the commentary, they were talking about performing "the sawtooth maneuver". They also talked about something to do with avoiding direct sunlight on parts of the telescope.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2021, 03:52:18 PM »
*****BREAKING NEWS*******

First image received from the JWST.

😂🤣 I’m sorry I couldn’t resist.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 03:55:02 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2021, 01:51:14 AM »
*****BREAKING NEWS*******

First image received from the JWST.

😂🤣 I’m sorry I couldn’t resist.

Priceless!!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2021, 09:30:00 AM »
The short videos of the antenna deployment was rather neat, now for the sunshade tomorrow.  That one looks mor complicated with more moving parts.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
The forward and aft Unitized Pallet Structures for the sun shield have been successfully deployed.

Next is the tower assembly deployment tomorrow (Day 4) and the momentum flap the next day (Day 5).

Later on Day 5 will be the first nail-biter, the release of the sun shield cover. If that doesn't happen 100% correctly, game over!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:38:49 PM by smartcooky »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2021, 08:43:51 PM »
The forward and aft Unitized Pallet Structures for the sun shield have been successfully deployed.

Next is the tower assembly deployment tomorrow (Day 4) and the momentum flap the next day (Day 5).

Later on Day 5 will be the first nail-biter, the release of the sun shield cover. If that doesn't happen 100% correctly, game over!
I wished thy would have released a video, but I guess cameras were in the wrong position.  The sun shield will be a nail biter for sure.  Here's to hoping for a perfect deployment of the sun shield.
Eugene Cernan