Author Topic: ISS and China Spacewalk Hoax  (Read 26161 times)

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
ISS and China Spacewalk Hoax
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
What do you think about the hoax of spaceflight?
Conspiracy theorists say that the ISS is underwater and is all CGI.

Another thing they claim for example, that the china spacewalk was fake due to a bubble flying.

One think that comes to my mind is that:
How the ISS would be a hoax if I can see it with a pair of binoculars at night?
If the ISS is underwater, how I cant see turbulence and cavitation of fluids? Also its very different than the normal training under water here on earth
I dont know how to respond to CGI, they look pretty real to me.
Bubbles may be debris, since you cant do a 100% clean up of this always.

All this applies to China spacewalk too.

It seems ridiculous that some people think spaceflight is impossible. I usually see that flat earthners "invent" those theories.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:25:15 PM by Gazpar »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: ISS and China Spacewalk Hoax
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »
We had a guy here some time ago who arrived as a hoax believer.  We (well, mostly the actual knowledgeable people, and not so much me!) convinced him of Apollo's veracity.  Then, after the Chinese footage was released, he appeared using exactly the same logic to claim it was hoaxed.  Some people just want to believe a conspiracy.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
IF it was a bubble, it would not move that way. It is most likely a piece of insulation.

Of course there are no space hoaxes.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
We had a guy here some time ago who arrived as a hoax believer.  We (well, mostly the actual knowledgeable people, and not so much me!) convinced him of Apollo's veracity.  Then, after the Chinese footage was released, he appeared using exactly the same logic to claim it was hoaxed.  Some people just want to believe a conspiracy.
Yes, I mean, whats the point of faking it? Today most people dont give a dime about spaceflight.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »
Conspiracy theorists say that the ISS is underwater and is all CGI.

Another thing they claim for example, that the china spacewalk was fake due to a bubble flying.

One think that comes to my mind is that:
How the ISS would be a hoax if I can see it with a pair of binoculars at night?
If the ISS is underwater, how I cant see turbulence and cavitation of fluids? Also its very different than the normal training under water here on earth
I dont know how to respond to CGI, they look pretty real to me.
Bubbles may be debris, since you cant do a 100% clean up of this always.

All this applies to China spacewalk too.

It seems ridiculous that some people think spaceflight is impossible. I usually see that flat earthners "invent" those theories.
Wrong shape, doesn't behave like an air bubble in water, no signs of a submersed astronaut just one so-called bubble, etc.

But think about the consequences. If China faked it, why is NASA silent as they would surely know? Or ESA? or Romcom(Roscosmos)? Or any amount of amateur trackers?

What about the much simpler hypothesis that some random piece of crud got evacuated when the hatch was opened? Does not Occam's Razor apply?

ETA: Flat earthers. At least half of those are simply doing it for amusement. IOW, they don't believe it in the slightest, but engage in it for the brief entertainment it gives them to adopt a contrarian position. For some, it is an intellectual exercise, for others trolling. The cohort of true believers is really, really small.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:07:50 PM by Abaddon »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
Does not Occam's Razor apply?

In conspiracy theory land? Are you mad??  :P :o :o :o

ETA: Flat earthers. At least half of those are simply doing it for amusement. IOW, they don't believe it in the slightest, but engage in it for the brief entertainment it gives them to adopt a contrarian position. For some, it is an intellectual exercise, for others trolling. The cohort of true believers is really, really small.
Yep...those are my thoughts too. I think most of them enjoy beasting the true idiots, i.e. people like Anders Bjorkman. There'll be a fairly small subsection that rally, truly believe that the Earth is a disc.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that this Flat Earther website....

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

...is a Poe
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
Does not Occam's Razor apply?

In conspiracy theory land? Are you mad??  :P :o :o :o
Yes. Yes I am. As a hatter.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:40:59 AM »

Since most of the population of the world can confirm the existence of the ISS this week merely by looking, hoaxers need to present a theory that fully explains the existence of an ISS-shaped object in the sky before any additional review is merited.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »

Since most of the population of the world can confirm the existence of the ISS this week merely by looking, hoaxers need to present a theory that fully explains the existence of an ISS-shaped object in the sky before any additional review is merited.

Indeed.

Such an explanation would also have to account for images from people like Thierry Legault:
http://www.astrophoto.fr/satellites.html

It would also need to explain the many hundreds of images from unconnected amateurs all over the world that regularly image the ISS and satellite transits of the Sun and Moon.

No such explanation can ever encompass this, so making out that spaceflight is impossible, or that the ISS doesn't exist is solely the preserve of morons such as Anders Bjorkman.

Yes, the ISS is fake. NASA informs me regularly when the ISS passes above my roof terrace at dusk 5-7 pm (sun below west horizon) in 3-4 minutes and, I agree, something, a light dot, is passing at the given times. I have seen it many times. But the 100 m across ISS is a 400 000 m altitude and cannot be seen by naked eye. I have tried with binocular w/o success. Telescope? Doubt it. Object moves too quickly. Photos of it being the ISS published are fake. We have wondered what it can be. Some unmanned superdrone at 50 000 m altitude?
The ISS is fake because you cannot get down from it alive. Try to win my Challenge - see post #1.

I agree some people are pretty dumb. I have worked in the heavy industry for 45 years and for that you have to be clever.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 06:01:15 AM »
Such an explanation would also have to account for images from people like Thierry Legault:
Note that he has actually captured images of astronauts outside the ISS.  It's a combination of having the right equipment and meticulous planning to be in the right place at the right time.  He captures some conjunction events that are over in less than a second and wouldn't be visible from a few hundred metres away.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 06:05:56 AM »
Note that he has actually captured images of astronauts outside the ISS.  It's a combination of having the right equipment and meticulous planning to be in the right place at the right time.  He captures some conjunction events that are over in less than a second and wouldn't be visible from a few hundred metres away.

Yep.
And still idiots like Heiwa think that they cab handwave that away.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
Good one, but I think I've heard it in English. Was the original in German?

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 07:49:29 PM »
Looks like; see https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Friedrich_Schiller; apparently from Die Jungfrau von Orleans
Quote from: Die Jungfrau von Orleans
Folly, thou conquerest, and I must yield!
Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain. Exalted reason,
Resplendent daughter of the head divine,
Wise foundress of the system of the world,
Guide of the stars, who art thou then if thou,
Bound to the tail of folly's uncurbed steed,
Must, vainly shrieking with the drunken crowd,
Eyes open, plunge down headlong in the abyss.
Accursed, who striveth after noble ends,
And with deliberate wisdom forms his plans!
To the fool-king belongs the world.