Author Topic: What Jay did in the holidays  (Read 2538 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: What Jay did in the holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
No, I didn't have anything to do with that.  But I kinda wish I did.  ;D. You gotta admit it looks kinda cool.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
My theory is its an art installation put up by art students.
Alien art students. Crop circles are so last kilocycle!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
Oh, sure, the technical means to install it are not uncommon.  Nor are the materials.  Sadly, since it's on federal land (illegally so) it will probably have to be removed.  And our local news media has reported that it has already been defaced and damaged.

I'm conflicted about that.  I choose to live where I do because of literally giant swathes of unspoiled land, desolate though it may be.  But the holiness of the land isn't pure.  To the west of my city there is the famous salt flats that appear in so many films.  That's already spoiled by the Bonneville Speedway.  To the north of that, Hill Air Force Base maintains a bombing range, closed to the public for obvious reasons.  There we pound large portions of Utah landscape into dust and rock fragments on a daily basis.  So when someone takes half a square meter in an 800-square-kilometer patch of desert and does something with it that creates some buzz and admiration, I would kind of like it to be left there.  But then if you leave that one there, you have to leave all of the subsequent ones there, including the ones that have little artistic or technical merit.

We have similar installations elsewhere.  One of the day trips I commonly do for visitors combines the Golden Spike visitor's center, the factory where the space shuttle boosters were made, and the Spiral Jetty, an earthwork art installation on the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.  Then for rail fans, the railroading museum in Ogden and dinner at Union Station.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 11:15:20 PM »
...Aaaand, it's been stolen.  Gotta love America.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 02:36:12 AM »
...Aaaand, it's been stolen.  Gotta love America.
Nah, the alien art students had to remove it, due to being illegally placed according to the Pangalactic Treaty Regarding Interference with Undeveloped Worlds and Littering. 👽👾

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »
Next time, make it in solid tungsten. Nobody is going to steal that.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 03:13:19 AM »
Next time, make it in solid tungsten. Nobody is going to steal that.
On one hand, yes, super heavy, on the other hand,  tungsten's got a pretty good scrap value, so it might well be worth it. On the gripping hand, this would be fairly recognizable at this point.