Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 616977 times)

Offline Ranb

• Mars
Re: Radiation
« Reply #3105 on: May 06, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Well, the Straight Dope Forum just banned me for trolling.  Most of my posts were on the Apollo thread.  Not sure which of my posts were the offending ones.

Ranb 

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #3106 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
And they consigned the whole thread to the cornfield.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #3107 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »
It seems the forum has been scrubbed of anything to do with my handle also.  Does this seem to be oversensitive for a forum?

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #3108 on: May 06, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
They're pretty sensitive to anything that smacks of a board war. They've had problems with Stormfront invasions in the past.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #3109 on: May 06, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
Their FAQ says in part; "We have one guiding principle: Don't be a jerk."  I was a jerk to the person formerly known as TimFinch.  Sucks to be me hahahaha,

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #3110 on: May 07, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
So, does Tim have any other outlets for his argument?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3111 on: May 07, 2018, 06:18:49 AM »
So, does Tim have any other outlets for his argument?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3112 on: May 07, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #3113 on: May 07, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »
I was reading the thread RanB posted on as a guest and then all of a sudden I couldn't access the thread at all. Found that a bit weird

Peter

Offline theteacher

• Venus
« Reply #3114 on: May 07, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »
I was reading the thread RanB posted on as a guest and then all of a sudden I couldn't access the thread at all. Found that a bit weird

Peter

I bookmarked page 3 to be sure to be able to find it again, and now I have the same problem. So I have registered and have had my account activated - same result. The title was "Apollo 11's mission radiation dose is to low to have made a lunar transit." - Page 3 - Straight Dope Message Board. What comes after the quotemark is part of the link. I have also tried to search for "hesenberg" but in vain. Could the whole thread have been deleted or something?

Offline theteacher

• Venus
« Reply #3115 on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »

Peter

I bookmarked page 3 to be sure to be able to find it again, and now I have the same problem. So I have registered and have had my account activated - same result. The title was "Apollo 11's mission radiation dose is to low to have made a lunar transit." - Page 3 - Straight Dope Message Board. What comes after the quotemark is part of the link. I have also tried to search for "hesenberg" but in vain. Could the whole thread have been deleted or something?

Sorry - that was the name of the link. The link itself is https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=854330&page=3

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #3116 on: May 07, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
There is one very small thread in the "about our board" and a long time member asked about the thread and basically got "We prefer not to talk about it openly, PM if you want"

Peter

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #3117 on: May 07, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
All for the best. As Jay pointed out, the guy is nothing but a troll.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #3118 on: May 07, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
My banning was sudden, no warning at all.  I was banned for trolling and that was it.  :( :)

As far as I know there is no way to contact the board admin to find out exactly what I did to piss them off.  If anyone here knows beowulff on TSD forum, maybe he is wiling to give me a clue?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:47:50 PM by Ranb »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #3119 on: May 07, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »

Peter

They tossed the thread and Tim, apparently because it was simply so utterly stupid. Can't really say I blame them. I have some fragments in my cache. It seems to me that Tim simply doubled down on the dumb. Here and CQ, if it is deleted and that is the end of it. On ISF if it is deleted, it appears in a member only spot for the simple reason that nobody will learn from it if nobody can see it. There might be such a location on TSD, I don't know, not being a member.