Author Topic: Image Enhancement!  (Read 11220 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Image Enhancement!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
The first two would have been absolutely ideal... if, as you say, Jim Irwin had only moved a wee bit to the right when he took these shots!  :D

The one of Dave Scott saluting..was that taken on EVA-3? if so then yes it would possibly help to have a higher resolution! There is also a couple of shots post-splashdown where the crew are coming off the Chopper onto the Ship, one is of Dave Scott walking alongside and talking to Robert Gilruth (I think!) that image is on my other computer so I cant post it here but that shows his watch fairly well (once again a higher resolution imagewould be needed though).

I've had a quick look at the image above (there's a 4Mb one here ) but it's inconclusive. There is a suggestion of white dials at the bottom, but it could equally be reflected glare, and it is less clear on the one linked to in the previous post.

One thought: there is a considerable amount of video from EVA3 - there must be a high resolution source out there somewhere that shows the watch?

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
I have been slowly watching the vid's of EVA 3...nothing so-far they are quite grainy!... there is also this photo post splashdown exiting the chopper..

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/ap15-S71-42065.jpg

and then this one (which I mentioned earlier) of Scott talking wwith Robert Gilruth

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/ap15-S71-42090.jpg

each of these is less than a MB..so I dont know how 'workable' they are for enlargement...however the second photo does show a watch which (too my tired old eyes!) appears to have an 'oblong' watch case and not a round one...so if it is the Waltham Watch (and seeing as his issued speedmaster popped its crystal requiring him to wear the Waltham in the first place, there is no reason to see why it could be any other watch) It may still be the one that a lot of people beleive it to be!

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
The whole issue stems around Dave Scott saying in his book that he wore a "Waltham watch (which was) of a similar type" to the speedmaster, not my brackets, this is taken from here...

http://chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html.

Now this is going by Scott's own judgement of 'similar type'..does he mean that it had a round case? that it had three sub-dials?.. and if so that these sub-dials were in the same location as on the Speedmaster? Does he mean that the watch face was one continous colour?

I have not seen a 3 sub-dialled Waltham Watch with the sub-dials in the same location as on the Speedmaster, other than the 'panda' dial watches ...more importantly experts like Chuck Maddox didnt either... obviously that doesnt mean that they didnt exist.

There have been suggestions of another Waltham with 3 sub-dials, but the movement wasnt manufactured until 1974...so not Dave Scotts watch. There were however Waltham's with the Valjoux 7734 movement which had two sub-dials, and these were definitely manufactured before Apollo 15 and definitely had one colour (as well as the 'Panda') dials!

I wonder if Dave Scott could pick out 'the' watch if he had a bunch in front of him? After all even though I am highly interested in watches now... I couldnt identify a single watch I wore whilst I served 17 years in the forces until the Issued watch and strap that I got when I was entitled to grab one from the stores on promotion.