Author Topic: Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter  (Read 19161 times)

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
Do any members know the precise resolution capabilities of the LRO at the various altitudes at which it orbited the moon?

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Re: Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
Andromeda beat me to it, but surely it's not hard to Google that information, Edward? It's not like LRO is some secret program that only a select few have access to the details of.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
Yes: http://www.msss.com/all_projects/lro-camera.php

I would add to that link that the resolutions given were at its standard mapping orbital altitude.
At a greater distance the resolution was lower, and later on the mission the LROs orbit was changed so that it passed much closer to the moon for a few orbits giving a higher resolution of some areas.

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
Thank you for that link, Andromeda! I appreciate it.  I did of course Google the information first, Jason, and was presented with many websites with much (and sometimes superfluous) information. The one Andromeda's given is concise and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 08:10:24 AM »
I would add to that link that the resolutions given were at its standard mapping orbital altitude.
At a greater distance the resolution was lower, and later on the mission the LROs orbit was changed so that it passed much closer to the moon for a few orbits giving a higher resolution of some areas.

This is correct. The narrow angle camera pixels are 10 microradians wide, so at the standard mapping altitude of 50 km the pixel spacing is

10 * 10-6 rad * 50 * 103 m
= 0.5 m, as specified.

This is within a factor of two of the diffraction limit in visible light of the 195 mm diameter telescope objective.

Although the resolution improved at lower altitudes, the resolution wasn't quite inversely proportional to altitude because of spacecraft movement during the finite CCD exposure time.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
Do any members know the precise resolution capabilities of the LRO at the various altitudes at which it orbited the moon?

There's a myriad of information available.
I started with http://www.apollo.mem-tek.com/ and http://www.lroc.asu.edu/EPO/LROC/lroc.php?pg=specifications

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
Should this be moved to another sub-forum?
I don't see what it has to do with an Apollo hoax.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »

I'm sure Edward will tell us... eventually  ::)
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »

I'm sure Edward will tell us... eventually  ::)

Here's a suggestion for Edward. The Ultra close-up views of the Apollo 11 landing site. Allthough the LRO's mission is to map the moon, not to prove that the moon landings were in fact real.

(yes, I'm a GoneToPlaid fan)

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
I'm surprised that no members have twigged on why I've asked for the exact resolution capabilities of the LRO. Not so smart after all it seems...Nevermind, I'm sure I'll get my 'marching orders' (as suggested by a particular member) before I actually get around to coming to the point of my question - and you all know how long THAT might take! Of course, I only keep members waiting because I derive tremendous satisfaction from the attention obtained therefrom.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
Edward, we've all known for some time that you are a troll.  It's like having a cat toy.  Do you ever think we might get satisfaction out of laughing at the ridiculous things you post?

For the record, I am much, much smarter than you  :)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
Edward, we have plenty of suspicions as to why you asked for the information. Do you honestly think you've brought anything original to this discussion? We've refrained from saying anything because some of us still cling on the faint but evidently misplaced hope that you might actually have something new and interesting to say.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
I'm surprised that no members have twigged on why I've asked for the exact resolution capabilities of the LRO. Not so smart after all it seems...Nevermind, I'm sure I'll get my 'marching orders' (as suggested by a particular member) before I actually get around to coming to the point of my question - and you all know how long THAT might take! Of course, I only keep members waiting because I derive tremendous satisfaction from the attention obtained therefrom.
To quote Buzz, Lightyear that is, "You are a sad, strange, little man."

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
I'm surprised that no members have twigged on why I've asked for the exact resolution capabilities of the LRO. Not so smart after all it seems...

If by "not so smart", you mean that posters here are not going to behave as trolls...as you behave, then you are correct.

I only keep members waiting because I'm a troll.

There...fixed that for ya...