Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479692 times)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »
I've been lurking here and on the old site for over a year, mainly because its an opportunity to learn about Apollo's history. 

I've also become fascinated with whatever motivates DrSocks, et al.  I've traded posts with him over at JREF, mainly motivated by the fact that the space program was a big part of my growing up, as well as having had the honor of meeting a couple of the Apollo astronauts (I will forever regret that I blew an opportunity to meet Neil Armstrong).  The denial of Apollo's achievements simply offends me, which is why I got involved.

It amazes me that someone would work so hard to deny and display such anger towards a historical fact.  I do have a degree in pshrinkology, but I am in no way competent to understand this type of pathology.  It all reminds me of a favorite quote from Herbert Tarr's "The Conversion of Chaplain Cohen":

"Do you know the difference between a psychotic and a neurotic?  A psychotic this two plus two is five.  A neurotic knows that took plus two is four.  And absolutely hates it!"

So, does anyone have a thought as to what motivates him? 

Shame of it all is, if it's who Abbadon thinks it is, he picks a mean banjo...

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
In case anyone thinks all this may be a little unfair..

For anyone not familiar with Patrick-of-1000-names' antics, I'd like to offer a few examples of the type of vitriolic and abusive postings he has made - many targeting some very public figures while hiding behind his sockpuppetry.  For example his postings at The Economist where he not only lambasted and denigrated the now deceased Neil Armstrong, but also made the hideously stupid mistake of impersonating a rather well known Apollo historian :D...  Then there are all the other incredibly insulting posts aimed at astronauts, their wives, any Apollo supporter/historian/contributor or indeed anyone who disagreed with him or pointed out his innumerable errors.  He also disgracefully lampooned the genuinely disabled by his insulting character impersonations - eg 'dastardly' and 'decisively'.

Probably the worst examples can be found at AboveTopSecret, when Patrick/Fattydash/DoctorTea/MaryB/HighGain/BFischer/BSpassky/dastardly/decisively was posting there (- he is now banned).  He started out posting in the same 'dastardly' mode he used at BAUTforum - posing as an intellectually-disabled sextant-loving youth and posting stuff like this:
sorry my writing is not so good it is a little problem i have but my reading is excellent and my ideas are always very good... my sister says she will help me sometimes answer your posts because her writing is good...
when it comes to the sextant issue i claim to be an expert.. even winning prizes for my star sighting...         
sorry but apollo is fony and i feel bad especially for Ar..ng living with that huge lie and being in so much torment his whole life he should cop to it and will have some peace when he dies...
now this is not my idea either i think it is patricks ...

But then his persona (without explanation) fairly quickly morphed into firstly a loud-/foul-mouthed Tourette's sufferer, and then as a medical professional - one clearly without a clue.

Here's a couple of examples of the disgusting stuff that he posted:
From here:
..how do you think ar...ngs grandchildren will feel when this oozes out of the planet's fanny in a year or two or 5 ?
..buzz a...n is a first rate yo yo clown bozo twit for thinking we are that dumb to fall for this
..IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH WHAT I THINK OF YOUR PANTY WAIST HERO
..NEIL A... IS A FAKE CLOWN CHARLATAN
..what is the ditz' s name that runs BAUT ? Phil Pl..t? why don't you trot him out here...
..I will clean Pl..t's ever loving clock
..bet you we could sue lo..ll for that and take away all his wife's money for having her hideous beehive hairdos done
..going to try and get me kicked off here for saying i think we should cut off the cash flow to lo..ll's skanky wife since we are paying that ditz lo..ll's pension for not flying to the moon ?
From here and here:
..we shouldn't be using taxpayer money to pay their hubbies pensions so the skanks can fix their hair jowls and wrinkles specially 'cuz their boys got microscopic sized boogers for gonads and wouldn't know how to fly a space ship if their mommy bought 'em a pretend one
..maybe we can collect all of the itsy bitsy booger gonads of the fony apollo astronauts and put 'em on display in the Smithsonian
..say hello to booger gonad Phil Pl..t for me
..but the guy, BOOGER GONADS, ar..ng, he is a first rate pathetic clown, sad sad sad clown like Pagliacci

Then, from here:
No matter "where" I post, I mop cislunar space with the lying heinies of the PERPS
James Lo..ll lies his jive heiny tax payer rip off artist rump off when he says that everyone knew it was oxygen leaking 15 minutes into the phony Apollo 13 scam...
They know that whether before or after the day they die, no matter, the public will indeed learn and acknowledge within a generation's time, or perhaps much sooner, that they are slime wad duffus punk heiny chump twits, and not the patriots they have always pretended to be...

Any questions?  I have just one - what sort of person would post that sort of scum?  You'll also notice that Patrick seems to have certain recurring themes/obsessions (I'll spare you the diarrhea quotes) - this sort of stuff just went ON and ON...  Check the links and see for yourselves.

And then, later as he turns into the 'respected' doctor, he posts:
I am young and fit. I am 54 years old. I am able to swim 1000 yards of butterfly without a pause.
Pretty much matches the profile, and take a close look at the t-shirt being worn on this page...

So if anyone feels pity..  Imo, Patrick, you deserve everything you are getting and far more.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:20:25 AM by ChrLz »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
So, does anyone have a thought as to what motivates him? 

Welcome to the forum Sus_pilot.

I've plenty of ideas about what motivates him.  But my experience about guessing at peoples motivations has led to the belief that such guesses reveal more about the guesser than the subject.  I try not to speculate on the nature of others mental health, but sometimes stilll do out of frustration.  Human motivations are quite complex and it is hard enough to pinpoint our own motivations, much less those of someone whose behaviors, like DrSocks, in which we can find so little in common with our own actions. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:56:09 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
Thanks. I think you've captured well why I haven't made my own guesses, yet remain fascinated.  Yet, I do want to comprehend, if not at a visceral level, at an intellectual one, but it's so far from my frame of reference...

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »
On the other hand, who do you suppose posted that favorable review?  Who could have done that?  Let me think, could it be...

...SATAN???

Now do a little "Superior Dance"...
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
To speculate off the top of my head, I suggest going back to the book The Right Stuff, and realize that it's less about the space program and more about the male psyche. How everyone wants to be the one who has The Right Stuff - to be the best of the best.

Patrick clearly wants to be seen as someone with the right stuff. He brags about everything he's involved in - from his knowledge of medicine, to his sextant abilities, to his research skills, to his bicycle-building prowess. Heck, the UN is supposed to hire him to make their prose less straightforward. But he can't claim to be the best astronaut, or even one to begin with. This seems to offend him deeply , and he is determined to take those who really are astronauts down, or fight to the last sock trying.

It also explains his obsession with Jay - if Jay is the Chuck Yeager of debunkers, Patrick wants to challenge him, not the lesser people in the squadron.

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »
I rang two places and got the runaround from HR to Legal. All I did was ask for him by name.

Now that is interesting.   

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
And "Peter May" returns to JREF after his fringe reset.  Predictably he fails to answer the pending questions and just copypastes more spewage from elsewhere.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
Did Patrick really, in his "dastardly" near-illiterate persona, suddenly start referencing Pagliacci?  :o Way to lose track of your character.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
And "Peter May" returns to JREF after his fringe reset.  Predictably he fails to answer the pending questions and just copypastes more spewage from elsewhere.

And into the Ignore File he goes, after his latest dodge-and-insult.  Obviously Patrick.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Did Patrick really, in his "dastardly" near-illiterate persona, suddenly start referencing Pagliacci?  :o Way to lose track of your character.
Hardly surprising, given the number of socks he needed to get the support he desperately craved..!
But I will say that the line about Pagliacci was *after* I outed him, and he seemed a little unhappy about that.. :D  He did stay in his dastardly-like persona for a few more posts, but then morphed into Patrick..  It's from this thread, which may be worth a read if you are willing to risk a visit to AboveTopSecret, and want to see Patrick in all his moods and at his very worst:
ATS - Bart Sibrel Has Been Discovered To Be An Apollo Program Fraud Perpetrator
Note that it is an 8 page thread - I outed him on page 2.

His very first post on that thread included:
..you can do this yourself because i did with my two best friends timmy and charlie we bought the video from amazon...
..it is 100% TotallyStokedDudes idea that i cannot take credit for...
..this is all of those things that when me and charlie did this for the first time together and proved...
..sorry my writing is not so good it is a little problem i have but my reading is excellent and my ideas are always very good...
He was very obviously wearing his dastardly sock.  Yet his very last post before being banned included:
..So my current view is that it is not inconceivable that the PERPS ...
..I am all over this one...
..Needs lots of study , but an insanely promising little approach...
..Let's bring Neil and Buzz and Mike Apollo down by showing Bart to be a Heiny Jive PERP...
So he was then clearly admitting to being the author of the videos (TotallyStokedDude) and was fully into his Doctor Tourette persona..

After the banning, he returned under several new names, but the moderators were on to him pretty quickly (unusual, as ATS tends to strongly support CT's over debunkers..) and he seems to have ended his run there.

FTR, I no longer post much at ATS - only when something like this arises..

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »

And into the Ignore File he goes, after his latest dodge-and-insult.  Obviously Patrick.
But not doing a bad imitation of an angry English truck driver.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm convinced.

But what I don't know is what game he is playing this time?

Has he decided that he's getting no traction playing the "I know a good wine" guy as a hoax believer, and thinks that perhaps he will get the adulation he is due if he switches teams?

Or does he think he is up for the long game, where he will pretend to be a committed Apollo "Believer" and, slowly and regretfully, be unable to support his beliefs against the growing weight of evidence against it, and be "Shocked, shocked" and sorrowful to learn it is actually a hoax?

I don't know, but I'm about forty magnitudes below the level of giving a hoot.

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Has he decided that he's getting no traction playing the "I know a good wine" guy as a hoax believer, and thinks that perhaps he will get the adulation he is due if he switches teams?

Oh, he's pretending to be an Apollo believer somewhere else now too? Tried it at CQ, didn't work. I don't think any of the posts went through.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »

Oh, he's pretending to be an Apollo believer somewhere else now too? Tried it at CQ, didn't work. I don't think any of the posts went through.
Yeah, he appears to be doing it at JREF as "Peter May", an ex-pat Brit living in Sweden.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir