Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478916 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
And now I'm thinking of Feynman's story; the one that ends,

"Mm-hr mm-hr, mm-hr mm-hr.  Mm-hr mr-hr mm-hr mm-hr!"

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #571 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »
Well, it was a pretty close call...

My understanding is that they got Aquarius' average power consumption down to a few hundred watts. The pre-J-mission LMs had four 400 Ah batteries in the descent stage and two 296 Ah batteries in the ascent stage for a total of 2192 Ah @ 30V, or about 66 kWh.

All consumers tolled, yes.  But keep in mind that they were so conservative with the LM batteries that they were able to jumper them up to the descent batteries to allow for a more reliable CM startup.  They had a margin.  But if you isolate the ECS and look at just its consumption over time, it consumes only a fraction of the total LM power load, and a smaller fraction of the battery capacity.  Tekeli's ignorant claim was that just the cooling system alone would have depleted the batteries in just a few short hours.

He's getting hilarious now in his stealth "just asking questions" thread.  He's now trying to say that the "crucial" thermal design figures (i.e., stuff he pulled out of his orifice) are "suspiciously" missing from NASA documentation, but without overtly crying hoax.  You can almost hear him crying desperately for someone to do the math for him so he can apply his HVAC googleage to Apollo and pretend he's "computed" that the LM ECS wasn't efficient enough to be credible.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #572 on: March 19, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
But keep in mind that they were so conservative with the LM batteries that they were able to jumper them up to the descent batteries to allow for a more reliable CM startup.  They had a margin.
You mean  they were able to use the LM batteries (both ascent and descent) to top off the entry batteries in the command module Odyssey. They did this through the umbilical that's normally used to save the LM's batteries with power from the CSM's fuel cells during the outbound trip.

But if you isolate the ECS and look at just its consumption over time, it consumes only a fraction of the total LM power load, and a smaller fraction of the battery capacity.
Really? There wasn't much left on in Aquarius besides the ECS and communications. The computer and platform were shut off for most of the trip back to earth. There was even a contingency plan to operate communications part time to leave more battery energy for the ECS, but it turned out to be unnecessary.  The limiting consumable was water, not battery energy, which I've always thought ironic because the water was needed for cooling yet the crew shivered in the cold much of the time.

I have wondered how low we could get the LM's power consumption with today's technology.  With modern electronics in the computers, IMU and communications there wouldn't be much left of a load left but the ECS, mainly its coolant pumps and air fans.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #573 on: March 19, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »
Actually that's right, the back-of-the-envelope computation we did was only for the fans ... for some reason.  I misremembered it.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #574 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I've perused a lot of Apollo documentation on NTRS but I've not been able to find a nominal power budget for the LM. (Ah ha! That proves it must have been a hoax!)

Do you know where I might find one?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #575 on: March 21, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »
And Cosmoquest bans another Patrick Tekeli sock puppet ("theloniusmonkey").

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #576 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »
I've perused a lot of Apollo documentation on NTRS but I've not been able to find a nominal power budget for the LM. (Ah ha! That proves it must have been a hoax!)

Do you know where I might find one?

I'm thinking it was either in one of the Mission Reports or in Biomedical Results (odd, I know, but wow).  And now that NTRS is offline indefinitely... :(

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
I was already bored with him.  You'd think with a forum name like that, he could play on more than one note.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #578 on: March 21, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
Bah.  I didn't get a chance to see and respond to his ridiculous assertion that the human body is like an automobile radiator.

Here's how you make it a better comparison; wait until your car overheats, then prop the hood wide open and pour a bucket of water over the radiator.  NOW you have the proper evaporation and radiation going on.  Or does he really think that humans are cooled entirely by convective losses?  What the heck does he think sweat is?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #579 on: March 21, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
Bah.  I didn't get a chance to see and respond to his ridiculous assertion that the human body is like an automobile radiator.

Here's how you make it a better comparison; wait until your car overheats, then prop the hood wide open and pour a bucket of water over the radiator.  NOW you have the proper evaporation and radiation going on.  Or does he really think that humans are cooled entirely by convective losses?  What the heck does he think sweat is?

You really don't want to get into the time-suckage of Tekeli's absurd misconceptions.  Aside from speculation about how many screws he's got loose, the guy clearly just doesn't understand how a large portion of the universe works.  While he seems to have gargantuan amounts of free time to Google and write lengthy tomes, once he gets a misconcept in his head, he will absolutely not let go of it.  And his face-saving gyrations make it impossible to have any meaningful dialogue with him.  Now frost all of that with a liberal dose of sheer arrogance, sprinkled with a down-home, "I know some of you may be new at this, so I'll be annoyingly pedantic about backpedaling from my latest egregious and obvious [expletive]-up."

If he's going to rely on sock puppets, he needs to learn how to craft a more convincing character.  He's a one-trick pony.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
You really don't want to get into the time-suckage of Tekeli's absurd misconceptions.

The whole theme of the board is getting into the time-suckage of absurd misconceptions!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:46:41 PM by Not Myself »
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »
You really don't want to get into the time-suckage of Tekeli's absurd misconceptions.
From what I've seen, his absurd misconceptions involve a great many varieties of suckage.
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
He's a one-trick pony.

He knows a trick?
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
With the knowledge of telescopes that theloniusmonkey has demonstrated, I doubt that he has ever even looked through one.

Why would a prospective telescope buyer travel all the way to Mauna Kea from the mainland to check out a scope with all of the historic sites in California,  Nevada,  and New Mexico,  with seeing almost as good for testing purposes?

It looks like this post struck a nerve with theloniousmonkey. I recieved this pm from him on Cosmoquest, which I unfortunately did not discover until after he was banned there:

Your posting about me at Apollohoax.net

Hi there AtomicDog. I just sent this message to Daggerstab;

"A friend of mine showed me your post on Apollohoax.net this morning explicitly referencing me and my posting here. I just wanted to call you a coward to your your face. Where do you get off posting about me on this private forum of you and your buddies? If you have something slanderous to say about me publicly, please do so right here on cosmoquest so that I may defend myself. Good day to you. I know they won't, but I hope they kick you off this forum. You deserve it creep."

So my same sentiments to you as well. I would have composed a personal message for you but you don't really deserve it. I guess you are a big telescope expert and know everything about Mauna Kea, its latitude and why most amateurs are drawn to going there?

I did write a general post on Cosmoquest lettling everyone know what a creep you are. Don't suspect it'll get you kicked off , but it should.

With his wall-of-text style of posting, I must have missed any specific reference to me. My loss, I guess.

Theloniusmonkey, if you are reading this, I just have to say:

Fancy a sockpuppet calling me a coward. I've been an amaetur astronomer for over 44 years. I got my first telescope in 1968, and I've forgotten more about astronomy than you will ever know. The next time you sneak back onto this forum, theloniousmonkey/fattydash/Patrick1000Tekeli, I look forward to telling this to your face, you fraud.

Thanks, all, for letting me get that off my chest.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:53:35 PM by AtomicDog »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »
^^^ Outstanding!!