Author Topic: Jet Wintzer movie "MOON HOAX NOW"  (Read 37323 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Jet Wintzer movie "MOON HOAX NOW"
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
I'm not saying all who were not alive to experience(say maybe 5-7 years old) believe in the conspiracy.  Poll results have indicated that about 6-7% of the general population believe in the conspiracy, but when taking age into the analysis it jumps to 29-30% for the under 25 year olds.  I'll have to find that poll, because I'm remembering and the mind doesn't remember as well as it used to remember. :)

I quizzed my daughters about this once, when they were arguing with friends about Apollo (their favourite TV series for several years was "From the Earth to the Moon").  I asked them why so many friends thought we did didn't go, the answer was "Because they think it is more interesting and/or cooler to think it was faked".
That sounds like Art Linkletter's show Kids Say the Darndest Things!

I've seen wildly varying poll results, but the majority of polls has hoax belief being a much smaller percentage of the population than that.
It depends on how the questions is worded at times.  Well I do have a somewhat favorite saying, Figures never lie but liars always figure.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
That clip never gets old "You're coward, a liar and th-(bang)-fffff".

For your enjoyment Baz, so that you can enjoy, and enjoy, and enjoy.....

No sound, but who cares?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
"Did you get that on camera?"  ::)
"Ok lets sue."
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »
"Did you get that on camera?"  ::)
"Ok lets sue."

Oh, he tried, and failed. Judge sent Sibrel packing!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
I'm not saying all who were not alive to experience(say maybe 5-7 years old) believe in the conspiracy.  Poll results have indicated that about 6-7% of the general population believe in the conspiracy, but when taking age into the analysis it jumps to 29-30% for the under 25 year olds.  I'll have to find that poll, because I'm remembering and the mind doesn't remember as well as it used to remember. :)

I quizzed my daughters about this once, when they were arguing with friends about Apollo (their favourite TV series for several years was "From the Earth to the Moon").  I asked them why so many friends thought we did didn't go, the answer was "Because they think it is more interesting and/or cooler to think it was faked".
That sounds like Art Linkletter's show Kids Say the Darndest Things!

These were 14-15 year-olds, so not little ones where "kids say the darndest things" might be considered cute..  I found it a disturbing insight into the perspective of the age group.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »
These were 14-15 year-olds, so not little ones where "kids say the darndest things" might be considered cute..  I found it a disturbing insight into the perspective of the age group.
I was trying to make the situation a little lighter.  I agree with you 100%, it saddens me that we have adolescents who are turning away from true science into some of the stupidity like flat earth, moon hoax, rockets don't work in space, the VARB would have killed the Apollo astronauts etc. etc. etc.   those were the group that I was focusing in on with the poll. 
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
I was trying to make the situation a little lighter.  I agree with you 100%, it saddens me that we have adolescents who are turning away from true science into some of the stupidity like flat earth, moon hoax, rockets don't work in space, the VARB would have killed the Apollo astronauts etc. etc. etc.   those were the group that I was focusing in on with the poll.

And what is scary is that those kids are now in their 20s with degrees..... :O

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »

Yes and posting on you tube?  When mankind goes back they will have to eat their words and shut up, but until then ongoing stream of BS. I'm having a discussion with my 34 year old son as this is published.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »

Yes and posting on you tube?  When mankind goes back they will have to eat their words and shut up, but until then ongoing stream of BS. I'm having a discussion with my 34 year old son as this is published.

Sadly, they probably won't.

This is the great advantage that conspiracy theorists have; they can just invent ever more fantastical scenarios and unbelievable allegations out of whole cloth, to account for any observed data that doesn't fit within their distorted worldview.

Even when we go back, if we were to abduct Jarrah White and drag him kicking and screaming onto a rocket to the moon and show him Tranquillity Base, the Fra Mauro Highlands, the Taurus-Littrow Valley or any of the other landing sites, so that he could touch the descent stages, sit in the Lunar Rovers and touch all the equipment left behind, he would just say that is was all recently put there in some secret moon mission just to discredit he and the other hoax believers.

The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:07:35 PM by smartcooky »

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 02:42:23 AM »
Fortunately when we go back it will probably be led by India and China and, judging by the comments on space matters  from the public of both countries that I have seen they are less likely to invoke the Moon hoax.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
Even when we go back, if we were to abduct Jarrah White and drag him kicking and screaming onto a rocket to the moon and show him Tranquillity Base, the Fra Mauro Highlands, the Taurus-Littrow Valley or any of the other landing sites, so that he could touch the descent stages, sit in the Lunar Rovers and touch all the equipment left behind, he would just say that is was all recently put there in some secret moon mission just to discredit he and the other hoax believers.

The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid.

You mean that you haven't submitted your "donation" to JW's flight around the moon? ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »

This is the great advantage that conspiracy theorists have; they can just invent ever more fantastical scenarios and unbelievable allegations out of whole cloth, to account for any observed data that doesn't fit within their distorted worldview.

Not forgetting the flight would have been faked in some way too, after all those "Deadly" Van Allen Belts will have fried him.. :D :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

Not forgetting the flight would have been faked in some way too, after all those "Deadly" Van Allen Belts will have fried him.. :D :D
Yes my conversation with my son last night started at that exact point.  I tried to do the best That I could to assurre him that was not the real problem for Apollo.  But should a major SPE would have been a possible problem. We also discussed orbiting in the VARB at 1000 miles, as scientist visualized in the early 50's.  That would have required much better shielding.  After that we started the photo "anomalies", the evening went to long.!
Eugene Cernan

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Part of it is simply being young. The attraction of gaudy bits of pseudoscience is greatest for those who haven't seen previous versions prove false. Eventually, the majority will be older and wiser, and not judge ideas based on "wouldn't it be cool if it were true?"

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
Honestly, I would have thought it cooler it was true, but I was a space nut as a kid. The idea it was some cheap trick? Just disappointing. If I had one conspiracy theory, it was that the US sabotaged the Russian moon efforts. Of course, back then, there wasn't a lot of information on the program available.