Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399799 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1890 on: January 08, 2021, 10:38:06 PM »
I'd like to think that no officer in that chain of command would obey an illegal order to nuke somebody.  But I'd sleep more comfortably if Donald Trump simply didn't have the authority to test my theory.

It is the duty of every serving member not to obey an illegal order, however determining what is legal and what is not can be challenging. For example, can the President order a first strike without approval of any other governmental body? I don't know, myself.

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
« Reply #1891 on: January 08, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
I mean, he could try entering eight zeros.  "It's an older code, sir, but it checks out."  ;D

😂

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1892 on: January 08, 2021, 10:56:19 PM »
It is the duty of every serving member not to obey an illegal order, however determining what is legal and what is not can be challenging. For example, can the President order a first strike without approval of any other governmental body? I don't know, myself.

The President can order any first strike scenario that's in the nuclear playbook.  However, since the order will be carried out by the appropriate office of the Pentagon, the Dept. of Defense will be involved in determining the lawfulness of any such order.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1893 on: January 08, 2021, 11:00:08 PM »
Agreed.  The IT people do not get enough credit for what they do, nor are their warnings given enough attention.

I need to know where to send the case of craft beer and the single-malt scotch to the valiant night shift in the Twitter NOC playing Whack-A-Mole with Donald J. Trump's pathetic attempts to evade his ban.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1894 on: January 09, 2021, 12:34:26 AM »
Apparently he tried to hijack the @POTUS account, which he never had full (or any) control of.
Ha! Oh, that is precious indeed. Source?

My spouse, from across the couch.  But I found this:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tweets-from-potus-account-after-suspension-they-got-deleted-2021-1
Thank you; that is just hilarious!  ;D

Offline Britmax

• Mercury
« Reply #1895 on: January 09, 2021, 06:23:36 AM »
I'd like to think that no officer in that chain of command would obey an illegal order to nuke somebody.  But I'd sleep more comfortably if Donald Trump simply didn't have the authority to test my theory.

You could remind them of the Nuremberg Trials, and how effective "I was only obeying orders" was as a defence.  And that the only option (other than refusing the order) takes them with it.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1896 on: January 09, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »
Apparently he tried to hijack the @POTUS account, which he never had full (or any) control of.
Ha! Oh, that is precious indeed. Source?

My spouse, from across the couch.  But I found this:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tweets-from-potus-account-after-suspension-they-got-deleted-2021-1
Thank you; that is just hilarious!  ;D

Twitter are playing whack-a-mole with Trump at the moment. Gary Corby, Trump's digital director tried to gift Trump his personal account. That got nailed too. https://mobile.twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1347741119434649603
At this stage Trump must be on the verge of a rage-stroke.

Regarding the plastic ziptie handcuffs one of the seditionists has been identified as a retired Airforce Lieutenant Colonel:

He is now wriggling about claiming that he found them on the floor, put them in his coat in order to give them to a cop and then just forgot all about them. I mean, that's a totally normal thing that could happen to anyone when you are out for a stroll in your combat gear, bullet-proof vest and helmet. You take a wrong turn and suddenly you find yourself in the middle of the Capitol in a riot. Totally believable and we've all done it at one point or another.  ::)

There's an interesting sub-Reddit going on at the moment: https://www.reddit.com/r/byebyejob/ Lots of very well paid people suddenly finding themselves out of very good jobs. So far I've spotted a lawyer, a CEO, our absent-minded friend above and a woman outed by her daughter. Schadenfreude and karma appears to be a real thing!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1898 on: January 09, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1347617828887818241

Claims that the police opened the door and let the rioters inside. The ziptie handcuff guy can be seen at about 18 seconds. You can also hear a cop saying "We don't agree with you but we respect you"

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1899 on: January 09, 2021, 10:37:56 AM »
The simple fact is, if you still believe there was voter fraud, you want to.  It doesn't pass the most basic logic test--I keep asking why, if there was enough voter fraud to control the Presidency, it took until a runoff election to control the Senate.  The easiest way to refute the idea that the election was fixed is to point out that Mitch McConnell will remain in the Senate.  If you can believe in voter fraud after that's been pointed out to you, what would convince you?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1900 on: January 09, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
The simple fact is, if you still believe there was voter fraud, you want to.  It doesn't pass the most basic logic test--I keep asking why, if there was enough voter fraud to control the Presidency, it took until a runoff election to control the Senate.  The easiest way to refute the idea that the election was fixed is to point out that Mitch McConnell will remain in the Senate.  If you can believe in voter fraud after that's been pointed out to you, what would convince you?

It's no difference to any conspiracy theory (or religion for that matter). People believe them because they want to believe. All the evidence to the contrary will not make a jot of difference.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #1901 on: January 09, 2021, 12:30:53 PM »
How does America come back from this? This is a cult the likes of which Hubbard could only dream of. They actually believe Trump cares about them beyond wanting their money and their worship. But it's tens of millions of people. How do you deprogram on such a scale?

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #1902 on: January 09, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Regarding the plastic ziptie handcuffs one of the seditionists has been identified as a retired Airforce Lieutenant Colonel
Reportedly there were people calling for Pence, and openly discussing "executing" him.

The more I read and hear about this the more I get a lynch mob vibe, the most American of gatherings.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1903 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:02 PM »
Their job was to protect the lawmakers. To allow an angry mob access to them is not de-escalation.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #1904 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
I mean, he could try entering eight zeros.  "It's an older code, sir, but it checks out."  ;D

Ugh, don't remind me...  :-\