Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 48063 times)

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
Don't you have to type it twice?  Then it would have to be cut-and-paste from somewhere else.

Random-type-a-type-a-bang-bang
Ctrl + A
Ctrl + C
Tab
Ctrl + V
?

Depending on OS... ?

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 04:36:12 AM »
I was pretty much over my relationship with BAUT too, now that it has been submerged into the silly Cosmoquest name.., so I've flounced off as well and offered a little passing Dwight support.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:15:56 AM »
Random-type-a-type-a-bang-bang
Ctrl + A
Ctrl + C
Tab
Ctrl + V
?

Depending on OS... ?

The Ctrl + V step does nothing on the computer I'm trying it on.

I cant believe the management-speak that forum gave after my Flounce.

I can.  You were not adequately sycophantic, which is the one unforgivable sin there.

I've flounced off as well and offered a little passing Dwight support.

This has generated the predictable indignation.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:12:57 AM by Megalonychidae »
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »
The Ctrl + V step does nothing on the computer I'm trying it on.
That's because either the Ctrl-A (select everything highlighted) didn't select anything.., or because the password fields don't allow pasting - they often don't.
I've flounced off as well and offered a little passing Dwight support.
This has generated the predictable indignation.
Moose is retired, yet speaks for 'we'?  and then says:
..don't rub our noses in 'your' ego(s) and expect kind words in response
Moose, if you happen to read this - do quote the part of my post that was egotistical, there's a good chap... I was quite specific about my other issues with the forum.  And Dwight's ego is quite justified, imo.

And I shouldn't expect kind words?  I'm sure i saw somewhere that 'being nice' was the overriding forum rule.  IMO, the comments made to Dwight were clearly smarm.  Be interested to hear Gillian's opinion, she being the wordsmith here and there...

Anyway, I'm over it - a big part of BAUT died with the CQ takeover.  No longer proud to be there.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:09 AM »
As a member of both forums, this squabbling rather saddens me to be honest.
Yes, they can be rather trigger happy with the moderation over there, but then, they got a much larger community to deal with. Things can easily spiral out of control.
Perhaps the complaints are justified, perhaps not, but either way I am disappointed.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
I'm sure i saw somewhere that 'being nice' was the overriding forum rule.

It's more the overridden forum rule . . .
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:06 AM »
On the subject of moderation itself, does this really belong in the hoax section?
Or am I missing something? ???

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »
On the subject of moderation itself, does this really belong in the hoax section?
Or am I missing something? ???

Meta-discussion! Infracted!

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Actually raven is right. Im so used to posting in this section that I didnt even notice.

LO can you move this into a section called " Flounces "?
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
Actually raven is right. Im so used to posting in this section that I didnt even notice.

LO can you move this into a section called " Flounces "?

If he does that how will we ever keep track of Patrick's sockpuppets?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
Gillian's opinion is that Dwight needs to stop pronouncing his authority.  Dwight, you may be the expert on the subject, but please stop telling us.  As I said over there, I'm not entirely sure how right or wrong your feelings are, though I do understand.  However, every time you mention your standing as a reason that we should care about you, I like you a little less.  I think it gets a little wearing, and eventually, losing the expertise is preferable to keeping the person who keeps reminding you about the expertise.

I don't see this flounce as improving the community, either.  I still care about the community; you haven't posted much over the last two years.  I want things there to get better.  Come to that, I still don't think it's all that bad.  I can see ways that it can be improved, but I can see ways it can be improved here, too.  It's a fact of life that things aren't going to go all the way any one person wants them to, and I've come to terms with that over my life.  (Possibly being a middle child helps.)  I'm also curious as to what response you were actually hoping for.  I saw the thread and thought, "Well, this is pointless."  It won't change anything, and unless Henrik was right and what you really wanted was lots of people telling you to stay, I'm not sure what effect you thought it was going to have.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
... I'm also curious as to what response you were actually hoping for.  I saw the thread and thought, "Well, this is pointless."  It won't change anything, and unless Henrik was right and what you really wanted was lots of people telling you to stay, I'm not sure what effect you thought it was going to have.

At least in my case, this is what generates the gently teasing - perhaps even slightly dismissive - responses. Don't want to be a member? Well, just stop posting. Starting a thread about "how do I resign" looks to me like a cry for attention. It's the sort of thread flouncy ATM posters make when they see they can't push their non-science.

He who flounces, must accept a little flak.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »

There is otherwise no way to tell a user who has left from one who simply hasn't posted in a while, and no way to know people are leaving if they don't say so. And when a long-time poster does so, not in response to losing an argument but due to objections to the way the administration is handling the forums, the official response should be something more than: "You're replaceable, we've still got thousands of other users. Good bye."

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »

There is otherwise no way to tell a user who has left from one who simply hasn't posted in a while, and no way to know people are leaving if they don't say so. And when a long-time poster does so, not in response to losing an argument but due to objections to the way the administration is handling the forums, the official response should be something more than: "You're replaceable, we've still got thousands of other users. Good bye."

Posting "goodbye" is slightly different than posting "how do I cancel my membership?". The first is simply indicating intent, the second is an attempt to engage in discussion about the leaving.

(There'd be other ways to say "goodbye" too - like changing ones signature to "I'm out of here. Bye". Then it's part of every post made by the member.)

As for official response, what do you suggest? Should the "goodbye" have been greeted by "no! please stay!". That seems to play into the cry for attention. Or should the response have been "what's the problem? can we fix it?". Well, the mods will be well aware of the history of the member, and that will also have a bearing on whether they think the effort to find out the "problem" and "fix it" is possible or not.

The "I'm leaving" thread indicates a decision had already been made. The "officials" are busy enough without trying to talk people back from that position. That thread started with a question, it was answered matter-of-factly and as accurately as possible. It degenerated somewhat, but that wasn't helped by the person "leaving" posting again (which kind of proved (if temporarily) the "sometimes people say they'll leave but they come back" point).

No one forum will please everyone. And if someone wants to effect change, starting with "goodbye" isn't the way to do it.

Dwights first post in that thread was:

Greetings.

I find this forum too repressive (1) for my liking. I have not posted here in 2 years (7) except to criticise (2) the overzelaous moderation (3). I would like to terminate my membership but cannot find the means to do so. Please supply the appropriate methods so that I can carry out the procedure as soon and as painless as possible. (4) I have no desire to post a plethora of swear words in order to be banned (5).

Thank you

Dwight steven-Boniecki
 Author: Live TV From the Moon (6)

(1) Slight insult.
(2) Seen it. Wasn't impressed.
(3) Slight insult.
(4) Why are you asking this? Just stop posting.
(5) Threat of bad behaviour that will take time for a mod to clean up.
(6) Why is this needing to be mentioned here?
(7) So what's the loss?

I don't see any of that as actually constructive, nor seeming open to discussion about staying, or fixing whatever issues exist. I think the reactions he got were exactly correct in tone.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:21:20 PM by pzkpfw »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
I think the owners/moderators of CQ would be wise to ask why a valuable member of the forum would want to leave so they can prevent others from doing the same. I know that Dwight isn't the only person frustrated by the moderation there.

And I'm not speaking as a moderator of another forum. I'm not trying to benefit from the situation there. I'm speaking as someone who used to enjoy participating in BABB before the first merger with UT. I saw it become an extremely strict environment that was no longer fun to participate in. They need to loosen up a bit.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)